Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > 'A Kind Of Magic' appreciation thread

forum rss feed
Author

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Nov 04, 00:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know many people think it's too 80's pop, or that they shouldn't have made too many songs inspired by 'Highlander', but I still think this is one of Queen's greatest albums.

OK, perhaps 'One Year Of Love' and 'Friends Will Be Friends' might be kinda sappy. Yet it doesn't ruin a great trend of creativity within the band.

To me it was the album that defined Queen as STILL being the champions, and a never ending force of creative, stylish, and powerful music as the perfect follow-up of their Live Aid performance.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 04, 01:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A Kind Of Magic tends to get written off, but it's still a great album. Who Wants To Live Forever, A Kind Of Magic, One Vision and Princes Of The Universe are the best, but I like Pain Is So Close To Pleasure, One Year Of Love and Friends Will Be Friends, however sappy they may be. Then again, I like sap. :) Though I can't say I like Don't Lose Your Head that much, and Brian imitating bagpipes in Gimme The Prize was a little strange, but overall, it's a solid album. Probably one of their most underrated.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 04, 02:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love that album!

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Melancholy Blues user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 205 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 04, 02:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it's one of my favourite queen albums, espacially who wants to live fovever, a kind of magic and one year of love

I want to break free from your lies you're so self satisfied I don't need you
djaef user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 887 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 04, 02:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's pretty good.

If you ask me, it shits all over the studio albums on either side of it, despite there only being 9 songs.

I think the only two weak point comes late in the album with Gimme The Prize. I have never liked that. On the other hand, I think One Year of Love is masterful. Soppy be damned. Friends will be Friends is also a tad weak but enjoyable enough.

Overall, their best 80s effort.

djaef - Queen fan since 1678, after the Dorog concert!
Regor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 364 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 04, 04:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As an album I think it's far better than The Works, which is just a few songs thrown together. AKOM has an "album flow" even though its a mixture of soundtrack and non-sountrack songs. Not their best, as it is really littered with synths, but at least it works as an an album. It doesn't sound like a bunch of singles. And Princes of the universe is one of the best Queen-Tracks ever IMO.

Guten Tag und Guten Abend !!! We had a great time in Cologne. Drinking beer in the sunshine beside the Mighty Rhein brought back many memories for me..... (Brian May, 2004)
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 04, 08:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Because it's an appreciation thread- I'm not going to say anything...
Well, OK- Who Wants To Live Forever is awesome!

Mean Mistreater user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 482 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 04, 08:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

maybe it is a step up from the works

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 04, 08:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just found out one more good thing I can say about AKOM- it's better than Flash...

gabriel79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 04, 09:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Regor wrote:

As an album I think it's far better than The Works, which is just a few songs thrown together. AKOM has an "album flow" even though its a mixture of soundtrack and non-sountrack songs. Not their best, as it is really littered with synths, but at least it works as an an album. It doesn't sound like a bunch of singles. And Princes of the universe is one of the best Queen-Tracks ever IMO.

agree.and freddie voice in one year of love is terrific.one of his greatest moments

Magik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 40 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 04, 09:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fenderek wrote:

I just found out one more good thing I can say about AKOM- it's better than Flash...

Hehe...
I agree from this in wholeness!

Mean Mistreater user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 482 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 04, 09:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HA! YES! you got that right Fenderek!

Flo Joe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 164 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 04, 13:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really like it...it is simply not as good
as many of the other albums.

King Freddie still rules
Giacco 73 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 291 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 04, 14:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love 'A Kind Of Magic'!It is my favourite Queen 80's album and I love every single songs in it.I discovered these songs thanks to the film Highlander,another one of my favourites.And also those songs worked wonderfully live in the "Magic Tour".It also contains my favourite Queen song of the 80's,a masterpiece called "Who Wants To Live Forever".

Freddie Mercury.

A wonderful human being and simply the greatest singer,performer and composer of our times.
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 04, 18:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have no doubt to say that 'A Kind Of Magic' is Queen's best album of the 80s. Closely followed by 'The Miracle'.

I think that the transition of bringing David Richards to produce, instead of Mack really helped Queen.
Although Mack produced 'One Vision' and 'Princes Of The Universe', two of the best songs in the album.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
redyfredy01 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 141 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 04, 19:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i love this one, it's got a lot of the good songs

I am not obsessed, I just have a one-track mind. (Obessed people go to counceling.)
KingMercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 345 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 04, 19:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i love this album
it has many music different styles; it has pop, rock, balad, its great
the only song i dont like is "pain is so close to pleasure", but i love the rest

"I`m Just A Singer With A Song...How Can I Try to Right The Wrong"
mercuryrising user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 9 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 04, 22:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I THINK A KIND OF MAGIC IS REALLY A GOOD ALBUM , POTUV,GMTP,ONE VISION KIND OF REJUVENATED THEM TO SHOW THE FANS THAT THEY HADN'T LOST THEIR EARLIER HARD ROCK EDGE. OVERALL I THINK THEY ACHIEVED WHAT THEY WANTED WAS AN ALBUM THAT POTRAYED EVEYONES EMOTIONS SADNESS &JOY

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 04, 00:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I see magic as a fun album. from the album cover to the music, one year of love is a great ballad and many more, actually the first three tracks are perfect. It's not a vintage Queen album by any means, but just a good fun album to listen, and freds voice really shines here. there best 80's effort is the game.

Magik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 40 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 04, 00:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I dislike this album simply and already:). The team had a lot of better albums.