add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Nov 04, 18:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Replacing such a vocalist as Freddie Mercury is impossible" - Brian May, 1996

The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 04, 07:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On one of the interviews on the FM Tribute DVD, I hear Brian say that there's still a chance they will appear on stage again as Queen. "Not now, maybe in ten years"... So it’s not that they never considered before Peter Cetera.

I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 04, 07:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I sometimes wonder if people consider the frame of mind that Brian and Roger were in when they made comments like the above. I wonder because, people change. We don't hold the same opinions throughout our lives on everything. A lot of the time, our ideas are challenged and that's what I see.

Not only that, but also during times like 1992 and 1996 they must have been feeling very differently from how they do now. Coming off of Freddie's death and later in '96 having had to promote the MIH album amongst other things? It's no wonder that these days they can think differently.

It's the same idea with a picture of a politician smoking weed in their teens and judging them later in life, instead of looking at the person, then. We can't hold onto the past because it doesn't exist anymore. It was another time, another place. Today is today, not yesterday.

I hope people take something from this.

Peace,
Adam.

k-m user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 535 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 04, 08:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am radical - there's no Queen without Freddie Mercury. I don't want them to continue with other singer or as a three-piece or two-piece.

I think Mr. May and Mr. Taylor have already showed us enough of what they are capable of, collaborating with such great rock personalities as Britney Spears, Beyonce or freakin' Five.

It's very funny though how they change their mind depending on the situation. When they were recording their solo stuff Queen's comeback was out of question. Now, when the musical turned out to be a great success and was followed by a big chart success of "Platinum Collection", and moreover Queen's music came back in some way when The Darkness appeared, Mr. May and Mr. Taylor seem to change their minds. No good.

Besides, even if they come back and release something new... What do you think it will be? A new great album, that will once again rule the charts all over the world and make us beg for more? Believe me, you will regret that you supported those guys.

The Mir@cle

Posted: 25 Nov 04, 09:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The discussion about the name goes on and on and on... Is the name that important?? If more people listen to their music because they call themselves Queen, let them!

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 04, 12:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's obvious that they haven't run out of ideas because, no musician stops writing unless they choose to. Of course that doesn't mean that they'll be writing great stuff all the time. But that's just the way it is.

We have no idea what they have, but the bottom line is that they'll have a ton of material. It happens. There'll be plenty of stuff just lying about after 35 years if they get stuck.

And it's not about defending them. It's about presenting both sides of the debate, instead of it coming from one side all the time. Something that happens frequently on this board.

Peace,
Adam.

Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 04, 12:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This has been beaten about ad nauseum and the answer is always Brian & Roger can and will do what they want with whatever name they want to. However, expectations will crush them before the first note is recorded.

Arguably, Queen's creative peak was ANATO (or II or ADATR.) That's 29 years ago. Since then they've had lots and lots of great songs but wildly uneven albums. Innuendo hinted at a return to forum but was killed by some awful choices (Delilah, Slightly Mad) that didn't fit the tone of the album. Why would we expect Brian and Roger to find their form all of a sudden? IMHO, Queen music between the debut and NOTW is unbeatable. It's the sound of 4 hungry young men pushing creative boundaries and succeeding like no band ever before. After that, money, marriage, egos and bullshit affected the band and while they were a live act without equal, their music was not a patch on the early output. And if you need an example of how time changed them as writers, look at Roger. On songs like Drowse, Fight from the Inside and Tenement Funster, the anger is on the surface of a young guy trying to prove himself. But 20 years later, a song like Dear Mr. Murdoch is a keyboard snoozefest without a drop of energy or venom. He's a talented guy who neds a vehicle once in a while, like Brian. That seldom leads to good art.

You know, good times are now.
Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 04, 12:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Comeback"? They never went away!! (LOL)
I should share another name Brian and Roger should consider: "Queen Redux". Essentially a revised version of the original group minus two members (and the addition of two more, or a bassist and revolving guest vocalist).
I would love to see a tour someday when time allows, and hear new material if there truly is any!

BrianHMay user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 80 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 04, 13:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

they should come back with john or without, I think ,it's not about replacing Freddie, just writing a new chapter in the Queen History

"We give him the biggest send off in history".
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 26 Nov 04, 09:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think fans or so called fans are bit to hard on Queen. I mean we get all over critics for over looking them, but the fans themselves seem to get all over them, by calling their albums crap or uneven. listen to metallica st. anger is one of the worst albums i ever heard, every Queen album is miles ahead of that music, but so called fans put down most of things they did. I'm not sure who said it, but how can you put down "slightly mad" a borderline classic and video and why put down delila it's a catchy ballad not bad. What i'm trying to say is mabe if they comeback they won't be vintage queen but they will be making good music, cos if you listen to their solo efforts "another world" and electric fire" and put the best tracks from both and throwaway the weaker stuff you'll have a good album.

QUEEN*1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts

Posted: 26 Nov 04, 09:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know you cannot replace the irreplaceable
but i think the performance of george michael in the tribute concert was absolutely brilliant.

I think queen should come back and do some concerts because im 17 and i never got the chance to see them live and it would be great to see them, so they should get someone like george michael to do some concerts or just do another concert like the tribute concert to freddie because that was a great concert.

The Mir@cle

Posted: 26 Nov 04, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I share you're opinion QUEEN*1

Posted: 26 Nov 04, 09:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QUEEN*1, you would have adored them live -- no-one could touch Freddie as a live performer. He gave 200% with every performance, and every concert I saw was proof of that.
Thank God for the live performances caught on tape!

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 26 Nov 04, 09:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

billy squier

go deo na hÉireann

Posted: 26 Nov 04, 10:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Billy Squier would be a great choice. He had an album out about 4 years back that was fantastic. His voice and an acoustic guitar. Tremendous stuff, the type of risk Brian and Roger should be taking.

"I'm not sure who said it, but how can you put down "slightly mad" a borderline classic and video and why put down delila it's a catchy ballad not bad."

That was me Mike. I said they were awful choices for the album. You have an all-time classic with Innuendo which looked like Queen returning to their risk-taking rock roots with an epic in multiple styles and time signatures. Then a keyboard song that destroys the momentum. Then a rocking Headlong, I can't live with you, then a beautiful ballad. That destroys the flow. Same for Delilah. After a beautiful song like TATDOOL, that's what you get? Teerrible fit. If they pulled Slightly Mad, Delilah and The Hitman it would have been a fabulous album.

As for Delilah being a catchy ballad, big deal. I'm one of those prick fans who liked it when entire albums (like the first six) were filled with pieces of art, not "catchy ballads." Listen to the radio, it's filled with catchy ballads.

brian_may_wannabe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 560 posts

Posted: 26 Nov 04, 10:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No one could ever replace Freddie. Freddie is a one-off. In my opinion, there has been no singers before or after Freddie. He is a rarity. Too be another Freddie Mercury, you just have to hit that high note (and I am not talking about Justin Hawkins) and to be able to sing.

daniel.hughes

made_in_heaven (thats_what_they_day)

Posted: 26 Nov 04, 10:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, double post.

Posted: 26 Nov 04, 11:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What's Billy Squier doing these days?

Posted: 26 Nov 04, 11:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not much. He was disillusioned with music so he wrote a screenplay for a film that got accepted at the Sundance Film Festival. When he realized that the amount of bullshit in movies exceeded music he wrote 'Happy Blue', an all acoustic album, toured with most of his original band in 2001 or 2002, and has disappeared since. Truly a talented singer/songwriter/guitarist who is grossly misundestood based on 'The Stroke' and his awful video for 'Rock me Tonite.'

moonie user not visiting Queenzone.com
moonie
Bohemian: 389 posts

Posted: 26 Nov 04, 13:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The thing is, Rogers got a bit of a gut on him nowadays.If they do tour then he'll have to get his arse to the gym well before.Christ, Now I'm Here could kill him!