Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > DAMN I Hate The States

forum rss feed
Author

Mercuryworks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 757 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Nov 04, 22:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen is so under fucking appreciated in america especially florida miami and ft myers is full of shit who would pick shit over real music

where do you live and is queen respected as a legend or shit on a shoe

<blank>
Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 26 Nov 04, 22:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ooh, you should remember you live in the South where Queen is still thought of as a homosexual band because they never forgot the I Want To Break Free video! That was 20 years ago but the mentality of some people still continues to amaze me in the Bible Belt.
There are a lot of fans in the South -- I unfortunately live there as well but country music is popular in my town (ACK).

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 26 Nov 04, 22:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I live in the US, and Queen are always overshadowed by other bands like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, etc. I hear them played on classic rock radio stations all the time, but it's only a few selected songs, whereas they'll play a huge variety from Led Zeppelin. I don't think Queen are taken as seriously as they are in other places. Here, they're mostly just known for the material on the Greatest Hits albums and the huge success of The Game. But even though the US has gotten a bad name when it comes to liking Queen, there are some of us here with good taste! :)

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Mercuryworks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 757 posts

Posted: 26 Nov 04, 22:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

true for both anyone from europe how are respected there

<blank>
mickyparise user not visiting Queenzone.com
mickyparise
Bohemian: 787 posts

Posted: 26 Nov 04, 22:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen will never be Big in the states, and that's ashame, cuz seen then in 80 and 82 and sellout crowds, the 82 concert Billy Squier opened up for them, and the news was all about Him, who i like, but the next day, praised all the way how Queen took over the concert and really gave them a awesome review......but your right, The States never did get ahold of them, and that's a shame, and Freddie hated playing here....even thought he had a condo in New York!
Oh well.......up here in Ohio, they play alot of Queen on our classic station, and thankful for that.

R.I.P. PRINCESS

Living Life on Life's Terms
pouria user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 197 posts

Posted: 26 Nov 04, 23:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's true that Queen is really underrated in US especially among the critics, but they are popular among the people. but ofcourse it depends on what type of people u r talking about. If u r into hip hop or modern pop type of music u definately cannot appriciate Queen. But if u r into Rock, u will most definately appriciate Queen's music.

I live in New Jersey and I'm quite amazed when i find out that my friends like Queen or when I talk to other poeple and tell them that Queen is among my top 3, they praise Queen too. Unfortunately people only listen to the GH 1 and not the albums. BUt i still find it quite fascinating that the generation(my generation) that has never seen Queen live nor has had any new material from them nor has seen or heard praise about them in the TV or radio and especially MTV, likes Queebut there are also poeple who come to me and say thatr Queen is a gay band andthe MUSIC is alsoabout homosexuallity.and that's when I really get pissed off and have to enlighten them that they are wrong.

I've heard them playing Somebody to Love,bohRa,wwru,wrtc,under pressure and aobtd on classic rock radio but it's limited to only one station and only these songs.

But I can see the day that Queen will be recognized as influencial as Led Zep by young bands.

POURIA QUEEN FAN

IF YOU ARE SEARCHING OUT FOR SOMETHING,DON'T TRY SO HARD.

IF YOU ARE FEELING A KIND OF NOTHING,DON'TTRY SO HARD
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 26 Nov 04, 23:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you hate the Satets you shouldn`t care if they like Queen or not

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Awesome-O _4000 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 04, 02:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The states is associated many horrible things: Brittany Spears, modern punk, George Bush, country music, homophoebia
but you can't blame us. There's a lot of good things attributed to us: Jazz and Blues, Mark Twain, jelly beans, Football, the saxophone

See, we're not all bad! Give us a chance!

(and please, I'd appreciate no more preaching about the evils of baby-killing gay-loving liberals. Bush won, i adimit it! I'm waving a white flag!)

-Thungerbolt courtesy of God
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 04, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you live in Miami, you will probably find that Queen was more popular among Hispanics than among people who grew up in the States.

Particularly South Americans and Mexicans are very fond of Queen.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 04, 10:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its probably the same here in the Uk for Metallica, not really appreciated in the mainstream but have plenty of fans that would gladly buy tickets to see them.

Chom own mudder fukker.
Yogurt user not visiting Queenzone.com
Yogurt
Royalty: 1927 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 04, 10:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I live in Laredo, Texas. Half of the people there don't know Queen. But the Other half (I'm talking about teenagers by the way) do concider Queen a Legend.
Most of the Adults are Queen Fans also.

I don't swim in your toilet, so don't pee in my pool!

Yogurt user not visiting Queenzone.com
Yogurt
Royalty: 1927 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 04, 11:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles79 wrote:

If you live in Miami, you will probably find that Queen was more popular among Hispanics than among people who grew up in the States.

Particularly South Americans and Mexicans are very fond of Queen.

I'm Hispanic. But I was born and grew up in the states.
True, most of the teenagers in my city are hispanic and most of them do like Queen.

I don't swim in your toilet, so don't pee in my pool!

coops user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 04, 11:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very hard for a band to achieve a huge anount of success when they have not played together for 15 years or more (live that is). I don't know what criteria you are using to determine who is "bigger" than anybody else, but Queen did achieve superstar status here and are still regarded as that. Look at recent tv awards where Queen do well consistantly. A lot of Queen music is still popular here and songs such as WWRY (I hear it 30 times a day watching football over the weekend) and Borap constantly inspire interest in the rest of the Queen catalog.
I also do not believe that Queens popularity suffered because of the "gay" look. There were a lot of bands that are very gay and did very well. One of Queens strengths has been their ability to constantly come up with fresh ideas, not always sucessfuly. The change in styles from the Game to songs like IWTBF just did not fit into what was popular here at the time. That's how it goes.
Queen sold more albums here that the Who, Zepplin, and perhaps more than the Stones. Do you consider them to be unapreciated?
It's about enjoying the music, not about who is top of the charts and selling more albums. It,s not sport, it's art. Different strokes for different folks.
One thing to consider. Do you expect anyone to even release an Eminem live dvd in 15-25 years, let alone anyone buy it? Who will remember? Staying power is one thing all the greats share in common.

Awesome-O _4000 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 04, 12:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well Said

-Thungerbolt courtesy of God
QueenZeppelin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 316 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 04, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I live in Joppatowne, Maryland, and at the school I go to, Queen is quite popular, along with other classic rock acts like Led Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Ramones, Guns N' Roses, and others. I'm 14 years old, Queen is one of the most popular older groups in my school, and nearly all of my friends and acquaintances either have the "Greatest Hits 1-2" boxed set, love 'em or at least like Queen somewhat.

So for me, it was sorta the opposite. <b><i>I</b></i> was the one who was wondering why Queen was so popular. I thought the only notable things Queen had ever done were "We Will Rock You," "We Are The Champions," and "Another One Bites the Dust." We did a lip-synch project in Drama last year.....we would get up onstage and lip-synch to a song we chose.....I did "I Feel Good" by James Brown...one kid did Bohemian Rhapsody and a girl in my class chose to do Killer Queen... And nearly everyone in my school, from "preps" to "punks" to "goths" like them. Only Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd rival them when it comes to popularity of an older group.

In fact, just last week, when we were rehearsing the plkay, the techies were playing Greatest Hits I over the sound system- even songs like "You're My Best Friend" and "Save Me" (which sounded really nice in the auditorium, I must add)

Everyone can sing along to Bohemian Rhapsody and Bicycle Race.

Songs that everyone knows;
Bohemian Rhapsody
Another One Bites The Dust
Killer Queen (easily everyone's favorite)
I Want to Break Free
We Are The Champions
Under Pressure
Fat-Bottomed Girls
Bicycle Race
We Will Rock You

The critics may not be too kind to Queen, but they are pretty popular over here, or at least, in all non-Southern areas. (I hear they're practically non-existant in the South- though woul you want them to be popular in the anti-gay, anti-Black, anti-Women, anti-Choice, poor, low-intelligence (proven) pro-Bush hillbilly hick capital of the world? They are neanderthals whose idea of good music is Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney, and they honestly see Bush as a man of moral values and integrity, and a strong leader. They need to killed.)

Granted, no one really listens to the albums, however, with the exception of Pink Floyd, best-of compilations and greatest hits tend to be the main way my contemporaries listen to the older bands- which is pretty cool, considering they could not listen to them at all, when you think about it, so be greatful.

"Have you ever seen or touched any monkeys?"
QueenZeppelin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 316 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 04, 15:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

coops wrote:

Queen sold more albums here that the Who, Zepplin, and perhaps more than the Stones. Do you consider them to be unapreciated?

Zeppelin sold more. Just combine the sales of LZ 4 and LZ 2 and they outsold Queen. LZ 4 sold 22 millions copies, LZ 2 sold like 12 million.

"Have you ever seen or touched any monkeys?"
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 04, 16:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i live in new york also, and they seem to be in the middle with the good but not great bands. it's sick cos there so great, yea the stones and zep seem to be overplayed and Queen are a second thought, me and some friends were going back and with who was better Queen or led zep and most people laughed at me, so i guess queen arn't considered in the same league as zep or the who, stones, and Arosmith

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 04, 18:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Another culture, another traditions... I can't understand why football calls soccer there, so I have never even try to understand why Queen was underrated in the USA

LadyMoonshineDown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 894 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 04, 21:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I live in Washington, which is obviously in the States. And well....you are right. Queen is pretty underrated here (The whole country I mean). But that is because we have Rolling Stone Magazine to tell us that Madonna and Public Enemy are one of the 50 best artists of all time. Just goes to show you that not only does America have bad taste in politics, but a bad taste in music as well.
Cheers

"Today I saw an American flag flying at full mast and I was reassured--I knew someone....somewhere....was alive."
KillerQueen840 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4081 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 04, 21:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I live in the USA, and where I live Queen is underappreciated. I order most of my cds online and DVDS and stuff..

"The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keep out the joy."

(Jim Rohn)