forum rss feed
Author

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Nov 04, 16:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

what i could never figure out was why Roger never enjoyed any real solo success in the USA?
after all, his solo stuff FIS, SF especially are very much more geared towards a US audience

but for some reason it just didn't take off
was it lack of promotion? or just plain no airplay?

go deo na h√Čireann
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 04, 00:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Music is a tricky business. If quality and success were always directly proportional, imo Roger and Treana Morris should be swimming in platinum records right now.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 04, 02:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Philipp Nothaft wrote:

Good question. I guess it's a bit of both.
FIS was released at a time when Queen still were rather popular in US, so one might think it should've been a mild success. There was zero promotion though and the album apparently was pretty much ignored, only reaching a meagre no.121 (one week on charts).

With SF it was pretty much the other way round. It was released at a time when - sales-wise - Queen were on a crash-dive in the US. This time, however, there was some serious promotion activity (two video-clips, Roger actually made a special trip to the states to promote the album), alas it didn't even chart.

In both cases he was hardly met with interest, I think. I suppose all of his singles received very little airplay (LGC, MOF, SF). He tried it one last time with Shove It, but after that he turned his back on the US-market.

Not really an answer, I know, but that's all I can contribute.

Also, Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason released a solo album at the same time as FIS called Fictitious Sports which did worse than Roger's album!

"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
Flo Joe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 164 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 04, 09:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it is mainly a question of promotion.

Its a shame that Hapiness was ignored by the
media and the consumers!

King Freddie still rules
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 04, 15:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Promotion, of course.

No videos, no guest super stars, no scandalous reputation, no live shows, no related links to Queen etc. etc. etc.

Rich Tea user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 04, 15:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love most of Rogers solo stuff but I have found amongst my friends it is an aquired taste. Unfortunatly Phil Collins probably ruined it for any other Drummer going solo! The record buying public probably expected another PC and thought NO WAY!!! lol

Also I don't think Roger despite his "Pretty Boy" image projects himself very well as a front man. Maybe a little unfair as anytime he does people will ultimatly compare him to the Master.

Shadow boxing with yourself just seems to get you no where!