Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Worst tour?

forum rss feed
Author

j0ck3 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 10:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What do you believe was the worst tour Queen did?

I don't like Magic Tour for several reasons:
Boring setlist
Every concert was the same
Worst medley Queen did

What tour do you think are the worst?

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think there's such a thing as a bad Queen tour. There were some individual gigs that were just better than others, mostly depending on how Freddie's voice sounded. Some people are just way too harsh on saying that Freddie just wasn't singing good, but for health reasons there were times when his voice wasn't at its best, but you can't deny that he always tried to give brilliant performances.

Besides... they pretty much played the same songs on all of them, and then added 3 or 4 songs of the current album in promotion.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Megamike The GREAT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2264 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 11:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the 1989 Tour for the Miracle was the worst... Oh wait.. Thats right, they didn't tour then did they... well.. then for me it would have to be the Hot Space tour.. only.. and I DO mean ONLY because Freddies voice was really giving him a lot of trouble. I have bootlegs from every leg of their touring since 1974 and I find that they are ALL very interesting.. of course I am biased, I prefer the 1980 USA Tour myself.. but, you JUST had to be there to know why..

My Brothers and Sisters all hated me 'cause I was an only child...

-Weird Al (Generic Blues)

I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird.
RockitPJ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 58 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with j0ck3, the song selection could have been better, but what made the Magic Tour great was the size of the audiences and song participation. I would have loved to see them perform some vintage songs like Sweet Lady, Liar, or even Spread Your Wings and Don't Stop Me Now would have been great!

"If I look half as good to you people as you do to me, I must look good."
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 12:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The worst?
WORKS TOUR!!!
This drum sound is just horrible!!! So waht that the set list was pretty interesting- everything spoiled by Roger and Spike, whose mic and keyboards were far too high in the mix!!!

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yup Works tour, horrible drumsound, Freddie's voice sounded crap, lighting was great though...and setlist woz kinda interesting...compared to the Magic setlists :)

Killed by drones.
BrianHMay user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 80 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 13:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

magic tour had a boring setlist but the sound and show was great. I think the worst is the works tour, they had an interesting setlist and medley but the drums sound were really awful.

"We give him the biggest send off in history".
bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Magic Tour. set list is not imaginative (other than bringing back In The Lap Of The Gods....revisited) - too many songs from The Works album, not enough from AKOM (whether you like the cd or not, it's a Magic Tour!). Princes Of The Universe would have sounded great live, I'm sure!

Rich Tea user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 15:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK - I wonder how many people are going off live releases, Videos & bootlegs when discussing this?

Yea I know don't want to sound like a boring old fart but I was lucky enough to see Queen at least once (sometimes more) during every UK tour from the Mott support of '73 right through to Knebworth in '86! Yes I do consider myself very lucky and privledged to have experienced the best live band ever serveral times.

Every Queen tour and show was different and special in its own unique way. From the intimate concert halls of the 70's to the stadiums of the 80's. Queen always gave their all and played pretty much what the audience wanted to hear! Yes I know but you can't please everybody all the time but hey they sure tried!

Best tours without a doubt The Crazy Tour of '79 out of the arena's back to the concert halls and the Works Tour of '84 out of the Stadiums and back to the Arena's. Best gig - Bingley Hall Stafford May 1978 the noise they made during white Man/Prophets Song will live with me all my life absolute brilliance!

I can honestly say I never once left a Queen concert disappointed and the high after any gig was much better than any drug!!!!!

Shadow boxing with yourself just seems to get you no where!
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 15:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can hardly understand what is 'boring set-list', 'cause from tour to tour were not many changes in the set-list, actually and it's strange to hear that about 25 of the best Queen songs can be boring!

But anyway, not very good tour was... the Japanese part of the Works Tour - they were tired + all things like Roger's drum sounds etc.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 17:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

unforunatly i never got a chance to see Queen live, rich was a lucky man.

LiveAidQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4489 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 18:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do not like the Magic or Works tour at all.

Comprende muchacho.
Deacons 1st Choice user not visiting Queenzone.com
Deacons 1st Choice
Bohemian: 603 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 23:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let's face it....

Classic Queen rocked,

"Modern Queen" sucked.

I think that about sums it up....

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 04, 00:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let's face it...

Times change, bands change, and fans can't fuckin' understand that great bands can't sell you the same thing over and over again.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 04, 03:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Setlist wise my least favourite is Magic Tour (very few piano by Freddie, lot of pop crap, absence of some classics). But the sound there is great (or is that because of the Wembley overdubs?).

Sound wise I don`t like either of The Works tours

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 04, 08:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles79 wrote:

Times change, bands change, and fans can't fuckin' understand that great bands can't sell you the same thing over and over again.
It's not about WHAT THEY PLAY but HOW THEY play it. You're not going to tell me that electric drum kit from 84/85 sounds fine... :S Or that Spike's singing is so goood he should be higher in the mix tahn Brian... :S

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 04, 11:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I vote for Works / Hot Space / Magic tour (in this order).

Mr Coolest Cat user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr Coolest Cat
Bohemian: 908 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 04, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hot Space Tour without a doubt.

There must be more to life than this.
Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 04, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hate Sweet Lady. It's boring. Hot Space tour was f****** brilliant. Great setlist I thought. I say The Works tour was worst because of the synthesiser overdose and that AWFUL drum sound.

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
Rotwang user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 296 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 04, 13:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It would have to be the first tour. They only improved live from there. Plus, I'm not a fan of the first album.

"You Can Be Anything You Want To Be"