Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > what do you guys think about robbie wiliams on We are The Champions

forum rss feed
Author

InMemoriesOfMercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 14:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I Think its som fucking crap!!He ruins the melody!!

Good Old Fashion Lover Boy!

---------------------------

"You can be anything you want to be"
bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

blooming' awful. As is his performance of Rock You @ Knebworth. It would help if he learnt the words beforehand...

Hankster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 469 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 15:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's good! It starts soft adn a bit emotional, and then his rougher voice starts.. just great! and that new guitar solo is just .. well .. awsome!
I wish Brian came up with that solo when they recorded the song as Queen for NotW ..

Williams is by far not as good as Freddie, but still this version of WatC is one of the best re-recordings Queen did the last few years and Rob's voice fits the song very well..

Daz85 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1802 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 15:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really like it. Like said above, one of the better re-makes. I would have been curious to hear the original version of the remake, as Brian mentioned it was to feature a acoustic guitar intro.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's an okay... Why not?

Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My favourite song ever, raped and destroyed. The song that made me a Queen fan.

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 16:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank God RW never made it in the States, we would have laughed him all the way back to England!
I don't like his singing, it's like Justin Trousersnake singing it, does no justice to the song or to Freddie (Freddie would be laughing too, no doubt!).
Or, then again...? (I don't EVEN want to go there!!)

Giacco 73 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 291 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 16:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like this version,expecially for the new guitar solo of Brian,of course!

Freddie Mercury.

A wonderful human being and simply the greatest singer,performer and composer of our times.
KingMercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 345 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 19:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sorry people, but IMHO, robbie is an excelent artist.
i like the version, but, obviously, is crap if we compare it with the original
i know robbie is very underrated in UK
last week he was here in argentina and people adore him
i like his music
i like the version, but i prefer the original
and i would like some famous artist/band make a version of a queen song, but not WWRY, or WATC, or BORHAP
for the love of god, those songs werent the only good songs queen made

"I`m Just A Singer With A Song...How Can I Try to Right The Wrong"
the oppositionist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 882 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 20:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"what do you guys think about robbie wiliams on We are The Champions?"

dont ask...

melinadeacon@queenzone.com
Megamike The GREAT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2264 posts

Posted: 29 Nov 04, 20:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You know, I had to sit and think about this question, and in doing so I had to ask myself this other question, IF I had to choose between Robbie Williams singing Champions, or listening to the Rick Rubins Re-Mixes of Rock You and Champions.. which would I destroy first.. and well.. I learned that you CAN break 2 CDs at a time.. so.. that answered THAT question.. so my answer to THIS question is, PURE SHIT!

My Brothers and Sisters all hated me 'cause I was an only child...

-Weird Al (Generic Blues)

I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird.
Melancholy Blues user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 205 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 04, 05:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's awful. I like robbie but he should stop trying to be like freddie, even if he is his idol. He copies his microphone, walk and famous vocal warmup with crowd. When he sings we are the champions he sounds like some kind of dying animal. There are just some songs that should never be covered, we are the chapions is one of them.

I want to break free from your lies you're so self satisfied I don't need you
Hankster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 469 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 04, 06:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Melancholy Blues wrote:

It's awful. I like robbie but he should stop trying to be like freddie, even if he is his idol. He copies his microphone, walk and famous vocal warmup with crowd. When he sings we are the champions he sounds like some kind of dying animal. There are just some songs that should never be covered, we are the chapions is one of them.

What's so bad with 'copying' the microphone and the warming up with the crowd? That mic.thing was of course introduced by Feddie, but Rob is not the only one who does it these days. And he not only does it because his idol did it, but also it's easier to handle than only a mic or a 'not broken'-mic standard :)
And that warming-up thing is something sooo many singers do at a concert .. that isn;t just a Queeny thing ..

Rob is just one of the greatest entertainers of these days and if he shows that Freddie is his idol, so let him. I think it's a nice tribute to Mr. Great Pretender

Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 04, 06:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

KingMercury wrote:

i know robbie is very underrated in UK

What the hell?!?!?

He is one of the most over-rated artist ever, anywhere. What is so good about him? Some soungs are ok, but does he even write them (too lazy to check)? His voice sucks and his praised stage performance really annoys me.

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 04, 07:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like a lot how he sang it. Btw I don`t know if he writes his songs but that doesn`t make him mediocre in the case he doesn`t. Is Kiri Te Kanawa mediocre then? Tina Turner? Elaine Paige? Celine Dion?

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 04, 08:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's ok, about as good as anyone could do with the song really (i.e. not Fred singing).

I think RW is good at what he does - catchy songs, good performance etc.

I think RW has written the odd song himself, but mainly writes lyrics to other's (formerly Guy Chambers) melodies etc. Not a talent like Queen, the Stones, Beatles, The Who etc, but valid in his own right as a performer. You've got to give him credit for being able to break away from a boy band and become so successful.

Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 04, 08:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Best Queen + collab really, if u don't like it..well...FUCK U.

Killed by drones.
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 04, 08:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pure crap- don't really like the original, but the version with Robbie was just absolutely awful.
Sebastian mentioned Celine Dion- no, she's not mediocre, she's absolutely wful- the huge range doesn't make a good singer... Her voice isIMO without any feelings whatsoever. Technically maybe she's brilliant but her songs are very sappy and her voice irritaiting. IMHO, of course... I agree about Tina Turner though...
Robbie being underrated in UK? are you crazy...? He's everyfuckingwhere!!!! Any single he releases is played to death on every single radio station, at every single music TV programme- everyone loves this pathetic and arrogant twat. IMO he ahs no style whatsoever...

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 04, 09:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

arrogant twat?? Freddie woz arrogant as hell and u like him don't u? If he hadn't done a song with Rog n Bri u would love him, u can't deny his songwriting skills and voice...he's one of the best, just face it.

Killed by drones.
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 04, 10:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Fairy King wrote:

arrogant twat?? Freddie woz arrogant as hell and u like him don't u? If he hadn't done a song with Rog n Bri u would love him, u can't deny his songwriting skills and voice...he's one of the best, just face it.

But Fred had a styl... Blobby has the complexes and just desperately tries to show off... I couldn't stand ANGELS and other crap long before he sang with Queen. When they annaunced the collaboration- I was already devastated... He's a wanker and he doesn't have any songwriting skills as the songs are written by other ppl... How about that?