Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Brian is producer of Queen album, why?

forum rss feed
Author

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Nov 04, 15:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anybody know any obvious reasons why Brian stated as a co-producer (with Mack) of Flash Gordon album? Why not 'Queen' as usually?

I don't know why, but Brian's name appears often in some cases, when usually they uses 'Queen' name - I posted topic about 'Mother Love' authorship some weeks ago with the same question (Brian answered my question why it wasn't 'Queen' song again, but actually I'm not very happy with his reasons, 'cause A Winter's Tale is 'Queen' track, though it's written by Freddie).

And another question is: how do you think are there master tapes of FG tracks without movie's dialogues and noises on it? It'd be nice to hear those FG tracks in 'clear' form, IMHO.

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 04, 15:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Brian was most involved with the soundtrack. He wrote the main theme and a lot of the other music. I think the rest of the band was a lot less involved then Brian.

Posted: 30 Nov 04, 16:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pim Derks wrote:

I think Brian was most involved with the soundtrack. He wrote the main theme and a lot of the other music. I think the rest of the band was a lot less involved then Brian.

Yes, it seems true, but I think he wrote less than Freddie tracks for it - most of his tracks are remixes of Flash's Theme :)

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 04, 17:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

that probably answers your own question for you...he wrote less - so had more time on the mixing desk

it was an opportunity to produce....

go deo na h√Čireann
Awesome-O _4000 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 04, 21:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Producing and songwriting is different, you know ;?

-Thungerbolt courtesy of God

Posted: 01 Dec 04, 09:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<marquee><font color = green>Brenski wrote:

that probably answers your own question for you...he wrote less - so had more time on the mixing desk

I'm not sure, because then Fred and Brian had to be producers of Queen II album...

ogre t raylot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 994 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 04, 10:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

From Brian May On the Record (1982)

Was the Flash Gordon project time-consuming?

Yes, and unfortunately we didn't have enough time. We were doing The Game and an American tour at the same time Flash was going on, so it was ridiculous. We put as much time as we could in. We would do a week here and a week there. I spent some time with the arranger and orchestra to try and get some coherence to it all. It was good experience, but next time I hope we have time to really pull the whole thing together as a unit.

brian_may_wannabe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 560 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 04, 11:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He wrote Flash, maybe. Aaah!

daniel.hughes

made_in_heaven (thats_what_they_day)
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 04, 12:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There isn`t any relation between who wrote most and who produced. Freddie reportedly spent a lot of time in the console during early days (in a `One Vision` kind of way perhaps) but they all were producers in the matter that they were all involved in the decisions of their compositions. In the case of Flash the difference was that Brian ended up choosing what`s on the album and what`s not (as John confirmed in an interview in 1981). Still I find sometimes odd how he takes credit for those things though, I mean if you`re in a band you should make sacrifices, but the way Headlong and I Want It All are now credited to him (and the Mother Love incident) aren`t very ethical imo. But that`s a different business.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

Posted: 01 Dec 04, 15:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Philipp Nothaft wrote:

Serry Funster wrote:

<marquee><font color = green>Brenski wrote:

I'm not sure, because then Fred and Brian had to be producers of Queen II album...

? That seems a bit contradictory...

Read to Sebastian's reply - that's why I meant. Brian and Fred wrote most of tracks for QII, but co-producer is Queen - not Fred and Brian.

Posted: 01 Dec 04, 15:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

There isn`t any relation between who wrote most and who produced. Freddie reportedly spent a lot of time in the console during early days (in a `One Vision` kind of way perhaps) but they all were producers in the matter that they were all involved in the decisions of their compositions. In the case of Flash the difference was that Brian ended up choosing what`s on the album and what`s not (as John confirmed in an interview in 1981). Still I find sometimes odd how he takes credit for those things though, I mean if you`re in a band you should make sacrifices, but the way Headlong and I Want It All are now credited to him (and the Mother Love incident) aren`t very ethical imo. But that`s a different business.

I didn't know that IWIA and Headlong now credited to him... Hmm...

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 04, 18:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So, because Brian and Freddie wrote the bulk of Queen II, that means Freddie should be labelled as co-producer? Makes no sense.

It's been explained several times before me, but Brian essentially had the final say of what went on the album; it wasn't what they'd ever done before, which is probably why it was never done since, but I guess Brian just wanted recognition for his work.

Also Sebastian, where is 'Headlong' credited to Brian?

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 04, 03:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In a way I share your opinion. My points are simple:

- Fred & Brian did participate a lot on the production, but not more than John & Roger imo.

- Imo One Vision was an exercise they took to steal focus and doesn`t mean anything about the rest of sessions. Interestingly enough, Brian - who reportedly didn`t play piano very often - conveniently played piano and synths in the videotaped sessions. And Freddie - who sometimes just did his bit and left - was now directing everybody`s work. I doubt it was that way all the time. Perhaps sometimes, but perhaps it could also change e.g. John conducted and Rog added lyrics, etc. Depends on the song

- Flash is indeed another story, BUT I feel Brian liked more to be acknowledged and recognised than the others. In which way? all those mentioned (the credits). Headlong is a Brian`s song, just as much as Invisible Man is Roger`s, Slightly Mad is Freddie`s or My Life Has Been Saved is John`s. But they didn`t ask for a credit in there. Mother Love doesn`t involve John & Roger but - as Brian recognised - Rain Must Fall doesn`t involve him, hence it should be credited to Deacon/Taylor/Mercury, or Deacon/Mercury, or whatever, but not Queen, for the same extent. I THINK (rather than KNOW) Roger, John and Fred took it easy and didn`t put a problem in sharing credits (for both songwriting and production). I feel as well that it`s a little unethical for Brian to "accuse" Fred of making up the "lyric=writer" rule. If that was true then Brian wouldn`t appear in Is This The World. I think the quote was too strong. But that`s another issue. Again what I wanted to say is that imho Brian is more "selfish" in the royalty thing (note his "I was the one who spent the night arranging" comment). That doesn`t change the fact that he gave his best to the band (and there isn`t any doubt of that), perhaps more than the other three, neither it changes the fact that he`s in fact a decent person imo. I just wanted to comment that, but neither I`m anti-Brian nor I`m trying to start an argument about that.

PS: As reported by a visitor of my website, the Spanish CD of the musical credits May for both IWIA and Headlong as well as the GVHII DVD credits him for IWIA.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

Posted: 02 Dec 04, 08:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian has right to post his name under his songs, of course, but if you're said 'a' - say 'b' - so let open Roger, John and Fred's names to 'Queen' songs too. Why not?

BTW as I know Freddie's name appears in FWBF and PISCTP only because John asked to do it, 'cause Fred helped him very much with this those tracks...

Anyway, let's Brian do what he wanna do, I just want to hear not new TT mix, but some of FG tracks without movie's noises - it'd be interesting, IMO.