Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Flash Gordon - success or flop ?

forum rss feed
Author

Regor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 364 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Dec 04, 07:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry to eissek, as I've seen that he has posted quite a similar topic - but I don't mean "do you like it or not" - it's just about seeing it's chart success as what it is: a pure soundtrack record.

I really do believe that they actually did not expect "Flash Gordon" to be their most selling album ever or anything like that.
In fact, they often stated that it was recorded in the same way the old soundtracks were recorded, by playing while actually watching the movie.
And that they consider it to be the first ever real rock-soundtrack. Other than AKOM (with all songs including vocals and different versions for the album) - and even for that Bri often said he would like to see a full and proper "Highlander"-soundtrack release combined with Michael Kamens' score in the future.

The knew that it wasn't a record made of possible hit-singles, and that it was a bonus to actually HAVE a hit on it. It's an artistic statement to be seen as part of the movie IMHO.

So I think that the sales figures of that album have to be considered quite massive instead of poor. As a pure soundtrack mainly consisting of instrumental pieces in the early 80s (nowadays OST's are pumped up with hits). Without things like "Saturday night live" in consideration. Did e.g. "L'ascenseur Pour Lechafaud" sell equal numbers ? What do you think ?

Guten Tag und Guten Abend !!! We had a great time in Cologne. Drinking beer in the sunshine beside the Mighty Rhein brought back many memories for me..... (Brian May, 2004)
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 04, 08:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Commercially it woz a flop, also in the artistic sence...it's nothing special. But it has a cult status now because of the movie and i think that's even better.

Killed by drones.
M. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 96 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 04, 09:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In Austria 'Flash Gordon' reached #1. (as far as I know)

"Guten Morgen, Sie wünschen geweckt zu werden!"
brian_may_wannabe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 560 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 04, 11:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've seen it already - but that was seven years ago, so I can't remember the plot.

daniel.hughes

made_in_heaven (thats_what_they_day)
The Fairy King

Posted: 02 Dec 04, 06:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ooh come on, the 'album' is a joke! I don't see it as an Queenalbum and i can't see it as an Queenalbum! It's hiddious

Killed by drones.
Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 04, 08:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Fairy King wrote:

Ooh come on, the 'album' is a joke! I don't see it as an Queenalbum and i can't see it as an Queenalbum! It's hiddious

Why is it a joke? It's a load of orginal recordings by a band. Not that different than all the other "studio" albums really. Just that the source of inspiration is different. Now, you might consider the quality of song writing to be inferior to other albums, but doesn't make it a joke.

I actually like listening to it now and again, even with the dialogue. You can kinda follow the film in your head while listening to it.

Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
Mean Mistreater user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 482 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 04, 08:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I listened to it ONE TIME, and I NEVER played it again! I don't even consider it part of the Queen catalog.

Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 04, 12:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Think back to that point in time when hardly any rock stars were asked to do film scores. Dino Di Laurentiis picked them after hearing Bo Rhap and asked them personally to do the score for his motion picture, and Queen happily accepted.They were very proud of this effort and it is a Queen catalog item, an official release (though there aren't many "songs" on it, mostly instrumentals).
And later on they were asked to do the score for Highlander, though no official soundtrack was released (A Kind Of Magic is the "soundtrack").

Liquid Scream user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 478 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 04, 12:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I enjoy listening to the soundtrack as well.
In fact I listen to Flash Gordon more than I listen to A Kind of Magic and the Works.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 04, 13:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's certainly nothing different than to what David Bowie was putting out at the time - just listen to the instrumentals he released on Low and "Heroes".

Vad user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 63 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 04, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually I like the soundtrack a lot, but without the dialogues it could be much better. Mostly because I didn´t like the movie. The music alone could have made a very moody album.

Regor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 364 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 04, 06:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vad wrote:

Actually I like the soundtrack a lot, but without the dialogues it could be much better. Mostly because I didn´t like the movie. The music alone could have made a very moody album.

Yeah, moody, ambient kinda stuff. Thats what a soundtrack is supposed to sound like. Apart from the fact that I only wanted to measure its success as a soundtrack amongst other "no-songs" soundtracks (and yes, thus it was a success) I also like to add that I DO like it a lot.

Guten Tag und Guten Abend !!! We had a great time in Cologne. Drinking beer in the sunshine beside the Mighty Rhein brought back many memories for me..... (Brian May, 2004)
The Fairy King

Posted: 03 Dec 04, 07:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh really ? Well there we go again: Only because YOU can't stand listening to things that don't go verse-chorus-verse-chorus, it doesn't mean it's not serious music. Your personal tastes are not the equivalent to common rules. Apart from that it certainly does not disprove the fact that Flash Gordon WAS a commercial success...

Any album that receives gold awards in any major market IS a commercial success, no matter if you like or not.

Oh please it's MY opinion, RESPECT IT!

Killed by drones.
The Fairy King

Posted: 03 Dec 04, 09:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lol it's not about NOT GETTING IT or NOT WANTING TO GET IT, i don't think it's a good Queenalbum, period.

Killed by drones.
NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 04, 01:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Philipp Nothaft wrote:

The Fairy King wrote:

Oh really ? Well there we go again: Only because YOU can't stand listening to things that don't go verse-chorus-verse-chorus, it doesn't mean it's not serious music. Your personal tastes are not the equivalent to common rules. Apart from that it certainly does not disprove the fact that Flash Gordon WAS a commercial success...

Any album that receives gold awards in any major market IS a commercial success, no matter if you like or not.

In the old days or for a band who just slowly started out, Gold is important. FG hit the UK Top 10 and the UK is the second biggest market aside America.

"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
KittyCat user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 104 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 04, 05:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

personaly I really like it...especially Football Fight or The Kiss ....

"You don´t wanna hear it? If you don´t wanna hear it, fuckin´ go home!"

Freddie Mercury
LiveAidQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4489 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 04, 07:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's kinda weird...Flop in my books. Though things like The Hero and Flash are good, but that's all that's really on the album.

Comprende muchacho.
The Fairy King

Posted: 05 Dec 04, 09:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who cares if it's a success?? It's still the ugly kid in the Queen catalogue. No real songs just lots of sound effects and soundbytes...and the title track...come ooon FLASH A-HAAA? Isn't that brilliant of a lyric :P

Killed by drones.
The Fairy King

Posted: 05 Dec 04, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh grow up, it ISN'T a success if u compare it to Queen's usual recordsales, so compared to THAT it's a FLOP! It's as simple as that.

And please tell me wotz so great about the songs, most songs sound alike,May uses the same riff over and over again, The Kiss is just Freddie receiving a blowjob etc etCETERA... They're just sound collages with some soundbytes, oh yippy!
If u truly think this is a GREAT album with GREAT songs then ur a Stepford :P

And because i just don't think this album isn't very good for Queen standards doesn't mean i only like HALF of their catalogue dear mr Cetera *rolls eyes*. *whispers*: wanker
Wow real fan u are, ur name is certainly Queenrelated :P
thank u

Killed by drones.
The Fairy King

Posted: 06 Dec 04, 13:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*yaaawn*

Killed by drones.