Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Freddie's Death Impact on You.

forum rss feed
Author

Stelios user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stelios
Bohemian: 987 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Dec 04, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi everybody.This is Stelios from Greece.A huge Queen fun. Perhaps the bigest in my country. I ve got a question for you ...DO YOU THINK FREDDIE'S DEATH HAD AN IMPACT ON YOU, ON HOW YOU ARE ''VIEWING'' QUEENS MUSIC ?

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 04, 18:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, his death made me realize just how much he struggled trying to get those last few songs in before he died. And I think it also makes me value the music more, knowing we'll never hear all four of them together ever again.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

geeksandgeeks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4296 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 04, 18:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As I was almost two at the time of Freddie's death, can't say it had much of an impact on me at the time.

Later on, though, it certainly helped to put a name and a face on victims of AIDS. And I think it did the same for a lot of other people.

God wants you to send me some money.

"Seven spades doubled, vulnerable, making seven? You BITCH."
Wouter user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 91 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 04, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember hearing it on the radio, and I was quite sad the rest of the day. And I talked about it with some friends in school, who were also Queen fans. And the next day, everything was back to normal. The only time I had feelings about again, was the Tribute concert, which I viewed entirely, although I should have been in bed by then.

Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 04, 11:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It had a big impact, I was very saddened but relieved he was not suffering anymore... but not as much an impact as John Lennon's murder. That was so senseless and it felt like losing a family member, such great sadness.
It'll be 24 years next week but still seems like it happened yesterday.

Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 04, 11:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In fact it made me become a Queen fan because it was then that I heard of Queen and Freddie for the first time at the age of 10, so yes, it had a huge impact.

And it also made me become interested in the whole hiv/aids issue in general and I've been supporting the local aids care center for years.

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 04, 12:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddies death had a big impact on me, I was 13 at the time, id been a fan since 9, so I saw the gradual decline in his health and appearance just as everyone else did. I remember seeing the award they recieved for best band of the 80s and I thought he looked ok, but when I saw the Brits in Feb 90, I think we all knew something wasnt right! Leading upto his death, we saw all the papers and the pics of him, then IGSM was released and the vid was a good but a bit scary! Then on the 24rd Nov we had the paper delivered with the headline 'FREDDIE: I'VE GOT AIDS' and I thought, thats it, times up, and he died that night! It changed my opinions on AIDS, I met a guy who had lived with AIDS for 3 years and he looked terrible, but he was a really genuine guy, he came to our school to give us a talk on safe sex and drug sharing. He had contracted AIDS by sharing a dirty needle whilst doing drugs. All my mates were taking the piss saying that he looked like hed got AIDS and when he said he was suffering, the room just went totally silent, it was one of my most memorable moments in school because everybody listened to everything he had to say. He died 3 weeks later.

Freddies death did have an impact on my life - for the better. Im more responsible and i still listen to and love his music!

Chom own mudder fukker.
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 04, 17:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i was driving down the M40 from the Worcestershire to London at 4:30am on the morning of 25/11/91 when queen songs were being played one after another on the radio....after about ten had been played....dj came back on to announce it was following the death of the late, great freddie mercury....(because of my early journey, i'd gone to bed very early sunday, and missed his announcement that he was dying of AIDS)

so when the dj spoke.....i swerved off the road, into a ditch, where my car exploded and in was left with 3rd degree permanent burns....but i can honestly say the death of freddie mercury had no impact on me whatsoever

go deo na hÉireann
LadyMoonshineDown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 894 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 04, 17:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie's death was a big thing.
However, I do agree with MourningElektra about John Lennon's death. That was horribly senseless in the name of something wonderful. Anyway...

I remember when Freddie died. They played Bohemian Rhapsody on the radio and they had those talk shows (i.e. Larry King) where there were people calling in and such. I was in shock, but I also knew it was something that was coming. Ever since he died, I became more of a devout Queen fan. Well, I had always been....

But it startled me into a state to become more aware. And it really did a big impact upon the aids research and such....
Cheeeeeeeeeers

"Today I saw an American flag flying at full mast and I was reassured--I knew someone....somewhere....was alive."
brENsKi

Posted: 04 Dec 04, 10:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

of course it is ;-)

go deo na hÉireann
brENsKi

Posted: 04 Dec 04, 10:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Athough i have to admit that i was driving down the M40 for a very early meeting - had to be in south london for 8am
and it was between 4:30 and 5am when i heard the news

the crash - of course was made up - but sometimes these threads require some sarcastic responses

go deo na hÉireann
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 04, 10:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Awww... The crash was so cool though... :'(

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
brENsKi

Posted: 04 Dec 04, 11:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

quite the opposite - it was "f**king hotter than the sun" for a few minutes there

go deo na hÉireann
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 04, 11:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, But you have to admit that after you lost all feeling, It was pretty damn fun. ;)

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Ms. Bea Haven user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 326 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 04, 13:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, long story short as possible...I had a friend in High School. We met in the early 80's - our strongest common bond was Queen. We were the best of friends. After HS, he moved to NYC for college. We kept in touch...till about 1985 - that's when I just didn't hear from him anymore. (It turned out that he got caught up in the drug scene and that's why he didn't keep in touch with me anymore. He knew that I would have killed him for that...anyway)

Jumping ahead - I met Brian in 1991. Because of that, I was *so determined* to find my old friend again. There was no internet or e-mail - I had to pray that I still had his parents old phone number and that it hadn't changed - I got lucky!

I called him...shock and awe - we were instantly reunited!!! (Thanks, Brian! - not that he reads this web site.) During our initial conversation, one of the things my friend said to me was, "you know, Freddie has AIDS." This was well before anything was made public. How did he know - well, I never asked - I just really didn't want to believe him. A few days later, I received a letter from my friend...he used Freddie's illness to brace me for what he needed to tell me about himself - that he too had AIDS. It hurt bad enough hearing about Freddie...but my friend - that was the *real* knife in my heart. Here I had just found him after so many years, only to realize that I would lose him again...only this time it would be permanent...

We lost Freddie in November of '91, and I lost John in June of '92. I lost two of the biggest loves of my life back then. It still hurts today.

But still, I still credit Brian for bringing John back to me - and that's something that I'll always be grateful for.

rachael mae. user not visiting Queenzone.com
i am lush
rachael mae.
Royalty: 1489 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 04, 13:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I guess his death has alerted me to AIDS and whenever I hear about it I think of Freddie. It's just made me think about things a lot more and I think that if Freddie was still alive today, the later music wouldn't have so much meaning for me.

Scirocco1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 533 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 04, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Way back in November 1991 I was 14 years old, but I was into no music at all and thus not interested in Queen. However, I still can recall seeing the article on the frontpage of our newspaper... it was on the right side of the page lower third, and a picture of Fred's face from what I now know was from the Live Aid concert...
Strange that I recall that though it did not have a major impact on me.

Keep 'em mowing blades sharp!
qbeaux user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 04, 22:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I heard it a day later being from America and all. I was working the night shift and my brother called me and told me to turn on MTV. I just couldn't believe this...I was crushed! I remember just sitting in the corner of my living room listening to Somebody to Love sipping on a nice Merlot and silently reflecting on the man, the legend.

mamamia user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 67 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 04, 09:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't remember Freddie's death at all, as I was only 6 years old, only now i've have grown to love the group and Freddie's music that i have come to realise what an impact his death had on me, after seeing documentaries on his life and the life of queen, and also what an impact it had on them, hat i feel deeply saddened about how much he actually suffered toward the end of his life.x

The hardest thing is getting to the top, then having to come down! :)