Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > has anyone seen the musical?

forum rss feed
Author

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Dec 04, 21:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i don't wanna hear from anyone who has something against it, just the people who seen it and give an honest opinion, i never seen the show, hoping to next summer.

rabidhorsey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 04, 22:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i've seen it (i'm assuming you're talking about we will rock you...)!! and i loved it. i know all the productions are different, but i know for sure that the one in vegas is genius. definitely go if you can!!

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 04, 23:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw the Vegas show a few months ago and I liked it a lot. Sure, it's cheesy at times, but for someone like me who never got to see the band, it's a great atmosphere to be in. And I was in heaven shopping in the We Will Rock You store!

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 04, 02:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw it in London 3 times and I guess that says it all. It's fantastic and I don't understand what people have against it, especially those who haven't even seen it.
And I can't wait to see it in Cologne soon!

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
djaef user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 887 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 04, 03:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's great fun.

The live band is totally awesome. They really do justice to the material, and the unique sound of the Red Special (well a Burns replica) rings out loud and clear.

I could fault a few of the singers (in the Australian production) but overall, they did the maerial proud. The humour was often a little corny, and the plot ludicrous (but it is a musical, and it's just trying to have a little fun), but it is a very enjoyable show. There is a definate element of 'homage to Freddie' in it, and at times it is a bit of a tear jerker. Freddie's voice was used at one point in the show, and there were few dry eyes in the front rows...

Overall, a top show. Very commercial, sure. A bit tacky.. yeah, maybe. Great music - absolutely. A good night out - 100%.

djaef - Queen fan since 1678, after the Dorog concert!
Melancholy Blues user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 205 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 04, 03:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yes, it was excellent. i really just went for the music, but i was surprised how funny it was. the storyline is corny in a good way and it actually works. some of the songs like radio ga ga and i want to break free go so well with the plot, it is not as if they have just put songs with a rough storyline around them, rather a good storyline with songs that work around it. i would definately recommend seeing it.

I want to break free from your lies you're so self satisfied I don't need you
Banquo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Banquo
Deity: 2636 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 04, 04:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its not brilliant by any stretch of the imagination but it is a good night out. I'd love to see the ones in other countries because the London show is totally held together by Hannah Jane Fox. She is damm good at what she does. When she leaves I'm afraid it will be end of WWRY as a decent night out.

Guess who's back?
Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 04, 09:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

She's brilliant! It certainly wouldn't be the same without her.

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
geeksandgeeks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4296 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 04, 11:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How are the actors (in the various versions)? With the possible exceptions of "Big" and "Oliver!", any show can be great with the right actors.

God wants you to send me some money.

"Seven spades doubled, vulnerable, making seven? You BITCH."
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 04, 12:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah....saw the musical last night....on "the making of bo rhap" documentary

go deo na h√Čireann
Goo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 295 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 04, 14:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw it a few years ago in London, and yeah, I was amazed by the music, and by how funny it was! (Britney Spears, lol) I highly reccomend it, and yeah, Hannah Jane Fox is incredible.

Playful as a pussycat.
Hildur Helga:) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 45 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 04, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes...i have seen We Will Rock You!!!!! Woooooowwwwwww GREAT SHOW!!!!!!!!

Posted: 06 Dec 04, 17:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hopefully, i'll be seeing the vegas show, just wondering which is better the vegas or the london? and is brian putting more of his songs in, like queen rocks where most of the songs are his.

kohuept user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 552 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 04, 18:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've seen the Vegas show - the first one where things "didn't start off so fucking well".
It was hillarious. Even having Brian and Roger sitting several rows back couldn't distract me from it.
I can't wait to go again.
I look at it as a live action cartoon.
While I have never seen any other musicals, this makes me want to - realizing that there will be differences.
Go and enjoy!

You just can't beat the reasonably priced mosquito repellant OFF.

Posted: 06 Dec 04, 19:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

does freddie's voice ever appear in show?, and again, Does brian try to hog up the show with only his songs, like queen rocks, i'v been noticing brian doin that, queen rocks brought that to my attention, one freddie song, where was liar, orge battle, there was plenty of freddie he could have put on that album, i hope it's mixture of all their songs.

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 04, 19:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

does freddie's voice ever appear in show?, and again, Does brian try to hog up the show with only his songs, like queen rocks, i'v been noticing brian doin that, queen rocks brought that to my attention, one freddie song, where was liar, orge battle, there was plenty of freddie he could have put on that album, i hope it's mixture of all their songs.

Freddie's voice appears in the beginning singing Innuendo, right before the curtain goes up. I think that's the same in other versions, but I've only seen the the Las Vegas show. Anyway, looking at the WWRY London CD, the setlist is pretty varied. There are a few songs from John and Roger (Another One Bites The Dust, Radio Ga Ga, These Are The Days Of Our Lives, etc.) but the majority are Brian and Freddie's, both of who have about the same number of songs as the other.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Posted: 06 Dec 04, 20:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

that's good to know, since they were (Fred and Brian)were equally great in songwriting, and i also love the fact freddie's voice is heard, even if it's only the begining. good stuff.

Monte: Liquorice Years user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 674 posts

Posted: 07 Dec 04, 04:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i thought it was great....and i dont really like musicals...they kinda, ah, whats the word? oh yeah-- suck arse! yes, i see the logic in everyone in the cast breaking into song and oh my god! they know the words!

of course, WWRY is like that, and someone said it as cheesy in places. It is, but they kind of turned it around so they were mocking the fact that it was cheesy... if that makes any sense at all.

All in all, it was a great show!

Cheer up emo kid!

queenfan7474 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 46 posts

Posted: 07 Dec 04, 11:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i saw the musical in vegas back in october and almost walked out.the music is great.the band does a great job,and the singing is excellent.the script on the other hand should have been burned after it was read the first time.i felt embarrassed for the actors,because of some of the lines they had to say.if you can ignore the story and just listen to the music you will enjoy it.

brian_may_wannabe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 560 posts

Posted: 07 Dec 04, 11:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have once, it was absolutely blinding. It's probably the best show I've ever seen. Great cast, great band, great characters, great choice of Queen songs. Musicals wouldn't be the same without it. It's great that Queen's music is brought into the 21st Century. It's such a shame that Nigel Planner (Neil the hippy from The Young Ones) is not doing it anymore. I want to see it again.

daniel.hughes

made_in_heaven (thats_what_they_day)