Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > If Queen were around today would they be the "worlds biggest rock band " ?

forum rss feed
Author

Biggest Band On The Planet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 325 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Dec 04, 20:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Seening as how U2 cliam to be the "worlds biggest rock band" if Queen were still around with Freddie would they be todays "biggest rock band in the world" ?

I think they would be, as Queen have miles more talent than U2.

"The Beatles were the first but Queen were the best"
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 04, 20:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The whole "world's biggest rock band" thing is a title that U2 (mostly Bono) gave themselves, just like when Michael Jackson wanted people to call him 'The King of Pop'.

Notice how their careers started to go down the hill after they became too arrogant.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Megamike The GREAT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2264 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 04, 21:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Without a doubt Queen would be Much bigger... I dare say that they may have even surpassed The Beatles in Popularity.. even re-gain the USA.. I really believe that had Freddie not contracted Aids however, we would not have had The Miracle or Innuendo.. and certianly NOT Made in Heaven.. so.. it really is a mixed bag here..

My Brothers and Sisters all hated me 'cause I was an only child...

-Weird Al (Generic Blues)

I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird.
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 04, 23:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think there's a good chance the miracle and innuendo would in fact be around if fred was still alive, some minor changes yes, but songs like breakthru and invisible man, headlong, i can't live with you, would have been done anyway, obvioulsy made in heaven would have been the one to get the ax, but innuendo was done without 100% fred, just imagine a healthy fred, he would have been better than ever and putting bono to shame, trust me on that.

LadyMoonshineDown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 894 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 04, 23:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know....

It's hard to say whether they would have gained popularity or would have burned out forever. I would, of course, still listen to them avidly, as all of you I'm sure.
Cheers

"Today I saw an American flag flying at full mast and I was reassured--I knew someone....somewhere....was alive."
pouria user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 197 posts

Posted: 07 Dec 04, 05:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know about now, but if freddie hadn't died, they would have toured the US in the early 90's and that would have helped their popularity increase a lot.

I they were still around, they would be something like the Who or the Rolling stone. release one album every 2 or 4 year and then give a big ass world tour then go back and maybe come back with some new material.

But def. freddie wouldn't be able to be that energetic and dynamic and surely he would have lost his range and he couldn't hit the high notes that well anymore.

and im not quite sure about Roger either. I don't think he has the same stamina as he used to and there is nothing wrong with that; they all would be going through a aging process

POURIA QUEEN FAN

IF YOU ARE SEARCHING OUT FOR SOMETHING,DON'T TRY SO HARD.

IF YOU ARE FEELING A KIND OF NOTHING,DON'TTRY SO HARD
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 07 Dec 04, 07:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think so

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 07 Dec 04, 07:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I mean, just look at the songs from Innuendo and The Miracle.....They weren't really big hits

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 07 Dec 04, 08:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NO
I'm sure at some point they wouln't record the stadium rock, I'm almost sure they would diverse, being with more artistic freedom (shit loads of money that is...)... And being diverse- they wouldn't address the same audience that now buys crap like Coldplay, Travis, Robbie Williams or Blink 182... I'm certain that would be less compromise in their music that on albums like AKOM or Works... Fried Chicken is right- Miracle and Innuendo weren't massively popular- apart from first singles (IWIA and Innuendo)- the rest didn't do so well on the charts... INNUENDO is a great album, with a lot of maturity and musical sophistication- I'm sure the others WOULD follow that direction... AND- looking at showbusiness at the moment and the audience- that wouldn't selll...

Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 07 Dec 04, 09:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Stones are still considered "great" and that's only really on their touring. I think they still release albums (or have done in the last decade) but they don't register much. But they still make loads of money etc.

Queen, if still going and touring, would be giving the Stone a run for their money. And I still think they would be releasing albums which made an impact. Remember that they've only really had 3 #1s in the UK, BoRhap, UP and Innuendo. Looking at the Miracle and Innuendo, there's a general trend that the first single does well, and the subsequent ones trail off (this is all UK). I think that trend is not really surprising and indicates that the mass music consumer was interested in a new Queen release, but maybe not in all the other singles. The albums did well, didn't they (in Europe at least).

So I think they'd be doing about the same as The Miracle and Innuendo did.

I'm not so sure about them touring the USA. There was the thing about Fred not wanted to have to work to get back into the USA - he'd only do it if they could sell stadiums, and that would require record sales to suggest it was possible, which they didn't have. Maybe if he'd lived past the Waynes World revival, it'd've worked out, but not certain by any means.

Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 07 Dec 04, 09:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Grunge would have kicked Queen fairly in the scrotum.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 07 Dec 04, 10:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

None of the Queen studio albums had massive success, at least not to the level of Michael Jackson's 'Thriller', Pink Floyd's 'The Wall', or The Black Album by Metallica.

Yet still all of their albums (except 'Hot Space' and 'Flash Gordon') had a fair and nearly equal share of success in album sales and radio airplay. Besides it was Queen's last studio album 'Made In Heaven' the one that went to become their biggest selling studio album ever.

In the USA the story would have definitely been different, but worldwide Queen would probably make an album every 4,5, or 6 years and then have a massive promo tour. I think that Freddie's voice would still be in great shape, I mean look at Steven Tyler and the guy sings better today than when he was 30.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
k-m user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 535 posts

Posted: 07 Dec 04, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmmm... I guess that if Fred was healthy they still would be around. Remember Wembley? "We're gonna stay together until we fucking real die, I'm sure". I think that in the early 90's they would come back to their rock roots, but I think the songs would be very different than the ones from "Innuendo".
On the other hand, Freddie was unpredictable, and who knows - maybe he would continue his solo experiments. By the way, I've read an interview with Brian (long ago) and he said that "All God's People" was supposed to be Freddie's solo song. Was Freddie thinking about another solo album, or that's an outtake from "Barcelona"?

Posted: 07 Dec 04, 11:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Peter Cetera...

Didn't Freddie say that quote, and not Roger? Well, maybe it's a misunderstanding. Anyway....not to stray to a tangent or anything...

In order to be one of the biggest acts, Queen would have had to gone to some big measures, ESPECIALLY within the US. Maybe after Waynes World with the popularity of Bohemian Rhapsody in both the US and Europe, they could have done something to 'boost' them up again. But woo....we are debating over a hypothetical question....isn't that fun?
Cheers

"Today I saw an American flag flying at full mast and I was reassured--I knew someone....somewhere....was alive."
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 07 Dec 04, 12:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

how could queen EVER have become bigger than the legacy of the beatles?

only 3 singles failed to make no1 (in UK) and two of those are arguably their finest songs
oh and the small matter of14 number one UK albums

i love queen much more than beatles, but at least i'm objective enought to see they could never be bigger

now the U2 argument is a better one - queen are certainly bigger than U2 (although u2 have had 7 no 1 albums)- and while we're at it - U2 have NEVER called themselves the "world biggest band"
- this is a label the music press stamps all over whoever is the hottest ticket at any time

it was REM for about four years - early 90s, then nirvana, then u2 more recently the chilis and now u2 again

go deo na h√Čireann
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 07 Dec 04, 12:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The fact that the music press speaks for what artists are good or not, is complete bullcrap. Although I personally like U2 and REM, a couple of their albums haven't been very good, and yet they get a handful of great reviews from the press.

Why should a couple of thousands speak for hundreds of millions? They could keep praising bands like The Strokes, and The White Stripes all they want but in the long run does any one really give a rat's ass about them. They are still thousands of miles away from becoming the music phenomena that critics predict they will be.

RockitPJ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 58 posts

Posted: 07 Dec 04, 15:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Americans seem to like only what radio plays, especially top 40 radio, which wasn't big on Queen music. So I don't think they would be any bigger now than they were in the 80s and 90s. The thing that bothers me is that when I play Queen music for someone who never heard them, the person ends up liking their music. I think that if Queen received enough airplay by top 40 radio, their popularity would have soared.

"If I look half as good to you people as you do to me, I must look good."

Posted: 07 Dec 04, 15:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with RockitPJ.
When I play stuff by Queen to my friends who have only heard their hits, they are amazed, and end up being an immense Queen fan (Not more than me of course, because I am god, lol). But that doesn't go for all people....
But it could have made a difference, especially here in the US.
cheers

Rich Tea user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 07 Dec 04, 15:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Weren't Status Quo the biggest Rock Band in the world once according to their own publicity and where are they now? Oh yea Cleethorpes Winter Gardens - Capacity 400 tickets still available!!!

Shadow boxing with yourself just seems to get you no where!
Roger_in_Tigerskin_Trousers user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 119 posts

Posted: 07 Dec 04, 15:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They would be massive I think because of the massive publicity they could generate through mediums like the internet which I think they would have utilised had they still been around. And I don't think they would have become arrogant like U2 and that they would have played down how big they were, well except Roger.

Why did the 80s have to happen?

Who wants body language instead of liar

???????????????????????????????????????