Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Electric Six

forum rss feed
Author

FairyQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 353 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Dec 04, 18:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was watching this show on VH1 just now called, "Redlight Greenlight". It's a show where these three people judge things. If it's good "greenlight"..etc...and they showed the video by electric six...I saw it being talked about before here but never saw the video...It was very cheesy and quite frankly..it was a piece of crap...it was tacky...one of the women who was the judges was saying "I'm so so so so sorry Freddie"...she was apologziing to him..the other two guys liked the song..she was calling them Freddie..she said that she gives the song the red light "for my boy Freddie".She also said Freddie must be rolling over and over in his grave...this video was horrible...I just didn't like it when the guy was transparent dancing on Freddie's grave..I just hated it....

"A man's private thought can never be a lie; what he thinks, is to him the truth, always." - Mark Twain

Visit my band's site at:

senecafalls.crystalflare.com

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 08 Dec 04, 19:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dancing ON the grave? Not quite. Look again.

Peace,
Adam.

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 08 Dec 04, 20:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I haven't watched it for a few weeks, but I think he just dances in front of the grave.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

AllDeadAllDead user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts

Posted: 08 Dec 04, 20:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dick valentine (signer) is playing the ghost of freddie, who has risen from the grave and is dancing. now, if i were a ghost, who has just risen from my grave to sing radio ga ga, it would just be a matter of physical convenience to start dancing where I was when my ghostly apparition rose above the surface. why would I, as a ghost, be concerned about dancing near my own tombstone? i came up to rock, and I'm gonna rock where I came up. so in conclusion, it was in the pursuit of realism, that E6 chose to choreograph that scene.

egret user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 109 posts

Posted: 08 Dec 04, 20:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The video was tacky as hell, but affectionately tacky. It didn't seem like it meant to be hurtful.

Would have been better if they left his real name out of it and stuck to fooling around with the rock star image.

--Egret

Posted: 08 Dec 04, 21:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The hilarious part of the show was when the woman kept on apologizing to Freddie for the video..and the other two judges said it was a great video and thought that the rest of Queen liked it too..the argument was quite funny...

"A man's private thought can never be a lie; what he thinks, is to him the truth, always." - Mark Twain

Visit my band's site at:

RockitPJ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 58 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 04, 08:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Caught it for the first time yesterday on VH1, seemed more like a parody than a tribute to me. The video did suck but the music was okay.
Hey, at least Queen is still being recognized in the States. We'll have to take what we can get.

"If I look half as good to you people as you do to me, I must look good."

Posted: 11 Dec 04, 13:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

RockitPJ wrote:

Caught it for the first time yesterday on VH1, seemed more like a parody than a tribute to me. The video did suck but the music was okay.
Hey, at least Queen is still being recognized in the States. We'll have to take what we can get.

yep

I didn't understand why there were poodles in the video...I thought they were going to have a bunch of cats in it...

Visit my band's site at:

David Jones user not visiting Queenzone.com
David Jones
Deity: 2469 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 04, 13:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doesn't the poodle playing the Zak Wylde Les Paul into a Vox Cambridge 15 give it away?...

"Freddie would have loved it" - Brian May
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 04, 17:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Marchofthedirtqueen....you will need to explain your "problem" - the *rolls eyes* thing is very patronizing - how can you do such a condescending thing - when you clearly didn't understand the video in the first place - only to *roll your eyes* when someone takes the trouble to explain it to you?

this topic has been done to death...Elec6 are big Queen fans - and most level-headed queen fans saw this vid as a bit of harmless, affectionate fun created by someone who truly loved queen....only a small - very insecure-defensive minority see it as some kind of insult

please don't *roll your eyes* in future when you don't understand and someone takes the trouble to explain

go deo na h√Čireann
Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 04, 17:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And please, let's remember Freddie doesn't even HAVE a grave, so it's really synthetic, eh!!

LadyMoonshineDown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 894 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 04, 18:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Meh.
It is a crappy cover of Radio Ga Ga, that should be obvious.
I saw the video, however, and I don't know what to think really.
Of course, someone is bound to take great offense, and I guess I could allow myself to react that way too. But then again...
why care?
If you don't like it, then don't watch it.
And please....let's not talk about this until we all die because god knows that is what will end up happening.
I am not about to waste my time blubbering over a stupid video.
Cheers

"Today I saw an American flag flying at full mast and I was reassured--I knew someone....somewhere....was alive."

Posted: 11 Dec 04, 18:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well said Linda of the Valley. *applauds*
Cheers

"Today I saw an American flag flying at full mast and I was reassured--I knew someone....somewhere....was alive."

Posted: 11 Dec 04, 18:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Look, I am a big Queen fan as well, and I could care less about this Electric Six thing. People just need to realize that they aren't going to like EVERYTHING they see. Jesus.

Don't try suicide
Nobody's worth it.

Hehe.
cheers

Posted: 11 Dec 04, 18:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lol.
But I guess they are free to do so, right? Afterall, we shouldn't be facists...haha. Woo
Cheers

Posted: 11 Dec 04, 18:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yea
Whoa....did we just go full circle in hypocrisy?
cheers

Posted: 11 Dec 04, 18:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

haha, its fine.
In case you didn't know, I am the Queen of randomness. Especially when you get me and MarchOfTheDirtQueen together. We end up talking about chickens and john deacon's ass, lol.
Cheers

mystic_rhythms user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 04, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<h4><font color=gold>Linda Of The Valley wrote:

I dont take the video seriously and I dont moan about how 'disrespectful' it is to Freddie and blah blah blah blah! But I actually think it's a terrible video! It's reeeealy boring! But it made me laugh the first time I saw it!

once again, Linda, you have told it like it is. I have seen the video, and though it does seem a little disrespectful to Freddie, it is...well...

ah screw this, I don't like it. Not because it has a guy dressed up as Freddie (with the fakest moustache of all time) dancing in front of Freddie's grave (which we all know does NOT exist, as he was cremated). It's because of the chemistry and style of the video. I mean, who the hell wants to see all those god damn poodles, anyway? Who says that they were so good

To be honest, I do think most of you have taken it quite seriously. A little too seriously, I must say. But I won't be one to tell you what to do. Leave that to the other arse-holes. As Freddie so humbly said, "Fuck them, darling, if they just don't get it."

(credit to GG on the quote, as it is in his sig)

So if you hate the video, or the song, or both, then just leave it be. Don't drag it on any further than it already is.

We can only grow the way the wind blows

On a bare and weathered shore

We can only bow to the here and now

In our elemental war

- Rush, "The Way The Wind Blows"

Posted: 12 Dec 04, 16:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

After seeing the video for a second time, it was funny...I thought they should have had cats instead of poodles in the video...

Visit my band's site at:

milo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 04, 01:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think you guys are missing the point on so many counts.

Think back to how Mercury closed a concert by coming out in his regal dress to take the anthem, as a band Queen knew how to make a cover into something special.

I don't see Electric 6 any differently, its opening the music to a new audience. The video is fun, the poodles great and the style totally in keeping with their other songs like Danger High Voltage or Gay Bar an entertaining piece of fluff. The dancing on the grave is meaningless in the context of the video.

I doubt its a tribute more an exercise in fun, a party tune to be played this Christmas, like when I heard the original back in '84 between the constant repetitions of BandAid and the awful Shakin Stevens.

Mercury already has the perfect tribute, cast in bronze on the shores of Lake Geneva Montreux but the real legacy is in our hearts and memories and lives on in the bands music.

Electric 6 I wish them well.