Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Do we f**king own them...?

forum rss feed
Author

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Dec 04, 04:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Reading all those discussions... Everywhere everyone says about the name, about remembering Freddie... about us against the idea or pro... Saying that Queen died in 1991 or not, threatening almost to burn entire collections ( :) )
But- do we own this band...? as fans- it seems like many ppl lost any sense of reality- yes, we buy records and tickets and whatever, but...
we do not own the band, do we?
We may say- I don't like it and not be part of it, but sometimes it goes too far, doesn't it? It's almost as if Queen legacy was OUR property and Roger and Brian are absolutely obliged to do with it what WE (as owners) want... Isn't it a bit weird...? Isn't it THEIR band, THEIR music...? Isn't it THEIR decission to either disband or go on tour...? We liked it in 70s and 80s- no one forced us... They were doing THEIR thing and we just liked it, loved it....
Suddenly, when their changed their mind (doing sth under Queen banner after Fred's death)- we're acting as if someone was stealing sth from us...
It's not THEM who owe us something- WE owe them the right t odo whatever the hell they want- THEIR music changed our lives, THEY were touring for so many years giving us hours of fun, THEY recorded some great albums giving us some memories... And THEY owe us something...?

Just a thought...

akan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 04, 04:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

totally agree with fenderek

Another Roger (re) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 442 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 04, 04:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice to read this. I also think along those lines. Queen have too many cocky fans.

Basically blind em and deaf em in the first 10 minutes, and while they are recovering from that put in the less good songs
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 04, 04:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I own them... And all of you for that matter!
Now, On a serious note, Nice topic! ;)

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Lara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 43 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 04, 05:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To nie tak.Mam gdzies polityczna poprawnosc.Nienawidze kiedy nie wolno mi mowic tego co czuje,bo cos tam.Prezydenta np. tez nie masz na wlasnosc,ale to nie znaczy,ze nie mozesz na niego powrzucac,jesli uwazasz,ze to swinia.Tak,tak,wiem-odpowiesz,ze tamten jest w sluzbie publicznej,a nasi panowie od 30 juz lat robia nam dobrze.Niemniej,wsciekam sie, kiedy ludzie odmawiaja mi prawa do wypowiedzenia na glos swojego zdania.Przeciez jestesmy myslacymi ludzmi i w domysle kazdy zaczyna swoja wypowiedz "za" czy "przeciw" od "moim zdaniem".
Chyba nic w tym zlego.

Mnie akurat troche zabolal ten nius o trasie,bo jak ktos umiera i mimo uplywu czasu wciaz ci go brakuje,to nie sposob nie zauwazyc bez przykrosci,ze zycie i swiat toczy sie bez tego kogos.A ja akurat zawsze przykrosc staram sie pokrywac zloscia i agresja.

wiem,ze to nieladnie mowic w towarzystwie w jezyku,ktorego inni nie rozumieja,ale wyjatkowo nie chcialo mi sie gadac ze wszystkimi.How rude!
Szacunek.

The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 04, 05:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Go Fenderek Go... I'm your biggest fan! Lara, I totally agree... that's very rude. (-;

I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY
Regor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 364 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 04, 06:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Totally agree with you, Fenderek ! Excellent Thread !!!

Guten Tag und Guten Abend !!! We had a great time in Cologne. Drinking beer in the sunshine beside the Mighty Rhein brought back many memories for me..... (Brian May, 2004)
Teo_torriate04 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 414 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 04, 06:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Absolutely agree with fenderek. Can't believe the audacity of some people. Brian & Roger have the absolute right both legally and morally to do whatever they like. We, the record/ticket buying public, have the right to make a personal decision as to whether or not to support them. Personally I feel that they've given me so much over the last 30 years that if they decide that this tour feels right for them, that's good enough for me, and Queen + Paul Rodgers sounds just fine.

To cast aside the fury of the battle.

To turn my weary eyes for home.

Posted: 14 Dec 04, 06:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah!! FENDEREK FOR PRESIDENT!!

Posted: 14 Dec 04, 07:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lara wrote:

To nie tak.Mam gdzies polityczna poprawnosc.Nienawidze kiedy nie wolno mi mowic tego co czuje,bo cos tam.Prezydenta np. tez nie masz na wlasnosc,ale to nie znaczy,ze nie mozesz na niego powrzucac,jesli uwazasz,ze to swinia.Tak,tak,wiem-odpowiesz,ze tamten jest w sluzbie publicznej,a nasi panowie od 30 juz lat robia nam dobrze.Niemniej,wsciekam sie, kiedy ludzie odmawiaja mi prawa do wypowiedzenia na glos swojego zdania.Przeciez jestesmy myslacymi ludzmi i w domysle kazdy zaczyna swoja wypowiedz "za" czy "przeciw" od "moim zdaniem".
Chyba nic w tym zlego.

Mnie akurat troche zabolal ten nius o trasie,bo jak ktos umiera i mimo uplywu czasu wciaz ci go brakuje,to nie sposob nie zauwazyc bez przykrosci,ze zycie i swiat toczy sie bez tego kogos.A ja akurat zawsze przykrosc staram sie pokrywac zloscia i agresja.

wiem,ze to nieladnie mowic w towarzystwie w jezyku,ktorego inni nie rozumieja,ale wyjatkowo nie chcialo mi sie gadac ze wszystkimi.How rude!
Szacunek.

OK- but I'll answer in English, all right? :)
I don't care about political correctness either- in fact, I'm totally against it!!! It's not about NOT TALKING what we feel or having a right to criticise. We all have right to do so and actually I'm the one who is using this right a lot on this board!!! How many times ppl went berserk when I criticised Wembley or Works or collaboration with Britney. I'm far from being stepford, and most pp, here I'm sure know that! Yes- we have the right to say what we think and we SHOULD do tjust that!!! But it makes me laugh when ppl suddenly go abnanas because THEIR favourite band made a move they dissaprove. It's different with politics- politicians DO STEAL from you, their decissions may hurt many people; we shouldn't criticise that- we should stop that and make them responsible for whatever mess they're doing!!! But it's MUSIC we're talking about! No-one is stealing anything from fans!!!!! Memories? we still have them, don't we? Sentiments? They're still there! It's not religion!!! (and even religion we treat too seriously!!!) It's music- it's entertainment, it's fun! Queeen never tried to change the world- they were having a lot of fun and because we liked the music they did- they earned a lot of money! But it's their music and their band and they're not stealing anything from anyone!!! You may not like what they do (just like I hate WATC with Robbie...) and cool! Criticise! But saying "I don't like it" rather tahn "how can they do it to Freddie" or "they have no right". If anyone has- it's them! They were playing with Mercury for 20 years, not us! And c'mon- it's been 13 years ago- he's dead! His music didn't die, but he's gone! How can you miss him anyway??? You never knew him!!! You became a fan in 1991- he was already dead!!! YOu can't miss him!!! Brian and Roger can! You know him through his music- it's still HERE!!!! It's not going anywhere!!!! Why abgry and sad then??? I never knew the guy, he was never my friend... his music changed my life- I'm a musician myself! But I don't miss him; and he's not my God or anything like that. I don't own the spirit of Freddie. no one does. You can have your own VISION of it. And no one- EVER- will take it away from you. Especially not by touring with paul Rodgers...

Spud user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 293 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 04, 07:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color="red">Peter Cetera</b>wrote:

But they can`t ressurect something that is no more.

I think you'll find that they have, can and will no matter what you say.

'Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, maybe happy.'
Spud user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 293 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 04, 07:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color="red">Peter Cetera</b> wrote:

But that doesn`t make it better ... have much fun at this ridiculous nostalgia act (thats what it is, there is not even any new material) ... I prefer going to concerts of rock stars that still exist and make new material (David Bowie or Duran Duran for example)

Ah but I'm a sucker for nostalgia.

'Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, maybe happy.'
Regor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 364 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 04, 08:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wonder if Pink Floyd-Fans have the same kind of arguments - or AC/DC-Fans.

Look, they founded this band. Much to our pleasure, but not by our request.
They don't have any responsibilities towards us, the fans. They knew Freddie. They know John. I may not like every decision since Fred's death, but I respect them. And I am a musician. I love playing live. So do they. End of story.

And once again everything IMHO, and of course everyones entitled to have their own.

Guten Tag und Guten Abend !!! We had a great time in Cologne. Drinking beer in the sunshine beside the Mighty Rhein brought back many memories for me..... (Brian May, 2004)
Krizzy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1806 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 04, 08:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I whole-heartily agree Fenderek!

Queen like many other legendary bands have every right to continue with a NEW LINE UP!

Just like THE WHO, THE DOORS, even THE DEAD W/O Jerry Garcia and so many others.

Thanks to Brian May and Roger Taylor for being brave enough to put themselves out there without Freddie and John. It may be hard for many fans to accept Paul Rogers but he is a lengendary singer with lots of appeal here in the US and around the world (BTW...Bad Company's last tour was pretty successful).

Good choice, chaps!

Both Brian May and Roger Taylor shouldn't fear using the Queen name for a tour, I still believe it is their "golden goose" as Brian once stated that "they created" as Queen and I'm sure that FM would have approved, because as Freddie even said in many interviews, (sic)"Queen needs to evolve to fit what happens in music now"

I give them my full support in using Queen as their name and I look forward to wonderful things from them. As a long-time fan I am very proud and honored by their choice to go out on tour, which is never an easy thing for any band to plan, its a heck of a lot of work. But if anything holds true they are real troopers and if anyone can rock out they sure can...ROCK ON!!!

Love,
Kriz ;o)

Long Live Queen!!!

Posted: 14 Dec 04, 08:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What are you all complaining about .... the "other" Queen fans have their fucking right to say they don`t like it - we might say that you go too far defending everything Brian and Roger do.
You must be new here to say that... ;)))
And you completely missed my point- I didn't say that ppl ahve no right to criticise. I said quite opposite. It's about going bananas about the fact and loosing any sense of reality. You do not own the band, period. You may like it and be happy or not- and say so. But I also have right to say - get a life and get on with reality because you're not going to change it with whinning...

You are always talking about THEY gave us the joy, the music, we should not complain therefore .... BUT you seem to forget that THEY are not just Roger and Brian, BUT also FREDDIE and JOHN.
No- I'm not forgetting that. You're however forgetting that one is dead and the other retired... The other two decided to continue. Why people get SO upset- no one is stealing anything from them; that's something I can't understand...

Speaking of myself, Freddie Mercury was mostly the reason I began to listen to Queen, I became a Queen fan when HE died, he wrote most of the Queen-songs i prefer (although my greatest song of Queen besides BoRap is Radio Ga Ga by Taylor), it was his stage show, his voice, his outrageous performances in the videos that I admire most, he even created the fucking Queen crest, besides that I prefer John as a songwriter over Roger. So I owe Freddie much more than Brian and Roger. For me Queen could only exist as long as the four were together (even if Freddie was the most important member), because especially Brian May together with Freddie created the classic Queen sound. - So its easy to see why Queen ended in 1991. John seems to accept it - so why can`t you?
Brian and Roger DIDN'T accept that- why can't you get to terms with that???? And I agree with you on many levels- I'm a vocalist, he "was" my teacher, because of him I'm a singer now. Among my fav Queen tracks are "Death On Two Legs" and "Flick Of The Wrist"- who wrote them...? But HE'S DEAD! I probably also owe Freddie more than Brian and Roger. But yeah- I owe them a lot AS WELL! I love Rog's compossitions, I'm huge fan of Brian's guitar playing. I love their music, their concerts, their albums. And it's THEIR decission if the band is dead or not- not yours nor mine... It was John decission to retire- I accept that! And it's Roger's and Brian's to go on- why can't you accept that???? And they do have John's blessings... It's not you to say- Queen died in 1991... It's Freddie's, John's, Brian's and Roger's... One of them dead- can't say anything. Second- retired, doesn't care, send a letter to Taylor and May and gave them THE RIGHT TO USE QUEEN NAME in whatever way they want. So it's up to them, isn't it? Why can't you accept that! It's THEIR band, not yours. You're fan, you don't tell the band what and how to do... you may like it, you may not, you may say what you think- but go back to earth...

If they have a bit of respect for Freddie and John their tour under another name.

And who are you to say that IF THEY HAVE THE RESPECT they will do WHAT I WANT THEM TO DO? I hope I made my point clear...

I will listen to songs if Brian and Roger play them under their own name, but I won`t buy a Freddie-replacement like Paul Rodgers. I hope I have made the point clear.[/QUOT

Posted: 14 Dec 04, 08:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Powrzeszczales sobie ? :)
You're f.. damn right,Fenderek,I mean it.
BUT ... if it's all about music,as you said, and nothing more that counts,than what are you doing here,Fend? By this time you've made 1802 posts instead of sitting and listenning to your fave Q records! :)Why do you care whether people slam or worship saint Brian e.g.?
... How can I miss..,how can I feel...HOW THE HELL CAN I KNOW THAT? To be honest I don't give a f...how can I anything-I just go for it.Being reasonable is boring,you know.Maybe I've got 10-year-old girl brain...Take care.

Posted: 14 Dec 04, 08:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And, Fenderek, you have good arguments, but you never talk about the strange attitude of Roger and Brian towards Freddie`s death. Because when he died they DID ACCEPT it.... and now since their solo careers go not exactly as they want it they come back. And what John is REALLY thinking about all that we can only guess.

Exactly- let's leave John than aside. Tht's where he wants to be...
B. and R. attitude towards Freddie'sdeath seems to me the most natural and healthy there can be! He died- they were shocked, sad, didn't want to do anything with Queen because it was too fresh. They were supposed to do made in Heaven tapes but left them for 3 years- it would be too emotional to do taht earlier. But it's been 13 years. He's dead- and their lives continue; back than they may have said many things because they felt like that- AT THAT TIME. They were depressed, they just lost a friend. But when someone you lov edies after years you go into liberation! Your life continues and so the bad memories disappear, the pain disappears and what's left are the good memories and a feeling of luck- that those good days happened and that they were priviliged to share those 20 years with Freddie. That's healthy- IMO... There is a great movie about it I just watched (n-th time...), Three Colours: Blue with juliet Binoche, by Polish director Kieslowski... A bit on a subject...
Some fans are mourning even now, even though he was never thier friend, they never knew him- only his music. B. and R. have their lives and live them. Some fans should get theirs as well :) (and I'm not talking about you! no misunderstandings!!!)
Hope this explains my view on their attitude towards Freddie and his death...

Posted: 14 Dec 04, 08:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lara wrote:

Powrzeszczales sobie ? :)
Yeah- feels graet!

Lara wrote:

By this time you've made 1802 posts instead of sitting and listenning to your fave Q records! :)
I amde those post in 2 and a half years. That's about 2 posts a day... Not much, don't you think...? And I would rather ercord my OWN music than just listen to one recorded already by others... No matter how good. Unfortunatelly0 I always write from work, during lunch time. And sometimes Queen CD is on anyway... :)

Lara wrote:

Why do you care whether people slam or worship saint Brian e.g.?
I never said he's saint and I never said he's evil. Tht's my point. Who the f**k we think we are to JUDGE them and their motives...? Just becuse we think differently...

Lara wrote:

... How can I miss..,how can I feel...HOW THE HELL CAN I KNOW THAT? To be honest I don't give a f...how can I anything-I just go for it.Being reasonable is boring,you know.Maybe I've got 10-year-old girl brain...Take care.
I'm not reasonable myslelf- if I was I wouldn't be in London right now and wouldn't be a struggling musician just get on full time (rather than part time) with any carrier as a IT consultant or picture framing manager or whatever. But I want to say sth and I also don't know where it comes from. My point was (and is) that ppl get so terribly pretentious about Freddie and his death without ever knowing him and being in his presence, saying that Brian this or Roger that... Those guys knew him FOR REAL. They can REALLY miss him. They lived those 20 years together on tour and in studio. They know the best HOW to respect that. We can feel our own way- and that's what you and I do. And it's fine. But saying they don't respect that... How the hell do we know what they feel and what Freddie would want...?

ps
i'm sure Freddie wouldn't want ppl to mourn after him- he woul want them to have a great party and live their lives just as he lived his- to full. Tht's what I believe, anyway...

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 04, 09:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's time to accept that people will always have differing opinions over this - on one hand, you have the naive yet very optimistic fans who are willing to see Brian and Roger enjoy their new-found enjoyment of playing with Paul Rodgers, and on the other you have fans who will stick to the (not entirely misconceived, but somewhat narrow-minded) notion that Queen does not exist anymore, and both of them will feel the need to convince everyone otherwise.

I've said all I've said on the matter, so it's just a waste of finger strength to really type everything out again. There are going to be posts like this for the next four months, and I imagine Peter will be at the forefront, leading the rally against Queen Mark 2. But I can let you in on a little secret: Brian May, Roger Taylor, and especially Paul Rodgers don't give a monkey's ass what anybody thinks - all they care about is what they think, or want to do.

A similar situation came with The Who in 2002, when John Entwistle died. Now he may not be the lead singer, but he was an extremely integral part of the band, and - I know someone will disagree with me on this - about as important as Daltrey. When he died, Townshend had to make a lightning quick decision: cancel the tour we've rehearsed for months, and disappoint those millions of fans, or carry on? He chose to carry on. Some people were disgusted by the fact that Entwistle's body didn't even get the chance to cool down yet and Townshend was already moving on, but they were (surprisingly) in the minority: most fans showed the most undying support for Daltrey and Townshend, and I still remember all the fans at the show I went to giving Pino Palladino a rousing round of applause, unprovoked, at the mention of his name and during the 'My Generation' bass solo.

The point I'm trying to convey is that rock stars die all the time, and every fan will always think their dead rock star is better than somebody else's rock star. In this case, Peter Cetera (I still find that ironic) thinks that Paul Rodgers is shit, and hey, he's entitled to his opinion, even if I don't agree with it. But like it or not, moral obligations aside, this is what Queen has become in 2005. Brian and Roger are not showing any disrespect to Freddie, nor are they not leaving Deacon out of the picture, either. I'm sure an invitation was extended to Deacon and he just turned it down while giving the go-ahead for the tour. Call Queen Mark 2 what you want, but Queen, as they exist at this very moment, is now Brian May and Roger Taylor. I would think people would have gotten that with the musical in existence and the loads of remakes with other artists.

But if I really have to listen to four more months of bitching, I have this to say: go outside and enjoy reality. It's only fucking rock 'n' roll, but *I* like it.

Rotwang user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 296 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 04, 09:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I totally agree with Fenderek. It's like saying a divorced or widowed person has no right to get remarried. Some of you people are exactly the reason celebrities don't go out in public. The hypocricy of the matter is that if those of you who are totally against Roger and Brian putting the Queen name on their projects were given the opportunity to see their show, you would be there in a heartbeat. You are certainly entitled to your opinion either if you are for or against the future of Queen. But for God's sake, don't take it so personally. I'm glad Fenerek spoke up.

"You Can Be Anything You Want To Be"