Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > DIGITAL REMASTER BRAIN MAY, ROGER TAYLOR CDS

forum rss feed
Author

tastytunge user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 14 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 04, 11:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WELL, THEY REMASTERED ALL OF THE QUEEN CDS. SO I THINK THEY SHOULD DO THEM AS WELL. MY FAVORITE IS ROGER'S "FUN SPACE". WOULD SOUND AWESOME IS IT WAS DIGITAL REMASTERED!!WHAT DO YOU THINK ?

Spud user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 293 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 04, 11:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Could you press Caps Lock?

'Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, maybe happy.'
Mack2008 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mack2008
Bohemian: 111 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 04, 11:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think he did - thats the problem :-)

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8684 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 04, 11:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the post-1994 cd's of Roger WERE digitally remastered, at least mine are :P
I have the 1996 releases of FIS and SF!

Killed by drones.
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 04, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only albums that haven't been remastered are the ones that were recorded after digital mastering began to be used.

So this topic is entirely redundant

earwig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 273 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 04, 19:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In my opinion, just because,say, The Miracle was Digitally Mastered in the first place doesn't mean it won't benefit from a newer remaster using the latest gear surely? For example, this album might only have been mastered at 16 bit/44.1khz but could be remastered at much higher quality.

Dead Daddy Long-legs. I'm still drinking it.
John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 04, 20:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Considering that most kids are into MP3's and free downloads - bit of a waste of time isn't it?

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 04, 02:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

who cares, their solo stuff will be out of print soon anyway.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 04, 08:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

Considering that most kids are into MP3's and free downloads - bit of a waste of time isn't it?

Oh yeah... Some of Russian mp3 sites contains the whole Freddie's solo box set collection for free...

pma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3462 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 04, 09:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh yeah, I'd love a good crunch-out-of-all-dynamics-loudnessracejoined-nonoised-crappy-sounding digital remaster. They could call it "barrel bottom scrape remaster series"

SACD (DSD) or DVD-A (MLP) with Hi-Res stereo, Hi-Res surround versions. Now that would be actually interesting. Of course it's not going to happen.

"I think now I can make love to your anus without making God angry"

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 04, 11:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The problem you have with MP3 (especially with studio recordings) is that the compression that is used to create that kind of file means you inevitably lose sound quality. I downloaded The Darkness' new RTB version of "Get Your Hands Off..." and frankly was disgusted at how poor it sounded; if that's the way forward for an artist's new music, then they can bloody well keep it. As far as I'm concerned, the whole fun of a new record is going out and getting it on the day it's released.......

I'm happy to take MP3 for unofficial stuff - bootlegs etc, but where studio material is concerned, officially available, I want it in the shop.

Benn
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 04, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pma<br><font size=1></font> wrote:

Oh yeah, I'd love a good crunch-out-of-all-dynamics-loudnessracejoined-nonoised-crappy-sounding digital remaster. They could call it "barrel bottom scrape remaster series"

SACD (DSD) or DVD-A (MLP) with Hi-Res stereo, Hi-Res surround versions. Now that would be actually interesting. Of course it's not going to happen.

I think it will, because they do plan on remixing as much of the albums they can for 5.1 96/24 DTS encoded DVD-Audio discs, depending on mastertape sources (remember the current situation preventing NOTW from being remixed into 5.1?)

In fact, about half of the Miracle album has been remixed into surround sound on the GVH2 DVD set, though only one of them is actually 5.1 (the invisible man), the others being 4.1. That of course would lead to the need to re-remix the remixes into 5.1 properly (which wouldn't be too hard, considering they've got all the mixing information saved on ProTools and Waves - they did it with "Another One Bites The Dust" and "Play The Game" when the Game album was remixed into 5.1, while "Save Me" and "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" were left as 4.1 mixes, with the odd noises in the center channel silenced completely)

And I think the Miracle tracks that ARE currently available in 5.1 really do rock, especially "I Want It All" (which I never knew had such a powerful thump and punch to the bass and snare drums!!)

inu-liger

Posted: 17 Dec 04, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And btw. only "Fun In Space" and "Strange Frontier" were actually the only Queen-related solo CD's to be actually remastered from the original analogue tapes (bar the Freddie Mercury albums on the Solo Collection).
FIS and SF were only previously available on LP (and cassette?) before 1994, when they went and remastered the stereo masters for what was then the new CD release.

Otherwise, Brian's "Starfleet" project HAS been also remastered onto CD, but only as b-sides to the CD-Single editions of "Back To The Light", and also as a whole on the Japanese "Resurrection" mini-LP CD(?), but never as a direct stand-alone CD version of the original LP release from 1983 (which sadly is one of the few records still not released on CD's from the Queen archives, album wise)

That aside, I own a copy of "Strange Frontier" on CD, and I really like it, as it's one of my minor favourite CD's to listen to once in a while (and strangely enough, I found it imported here in Edmonton, Canada, at an HMV store - I never knew you could actually order Roger Taylor CD's in Canada thru HMV before!)

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 04, 17:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Inu Yasha (a.k.a. Lum's Stormtroopers) wrote:

...also as a whole on the Japanese "Resurrection" mini-LP CD(?)...

It's on CD for sure.

redyfredy01 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 141 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 04, 19:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ewwwwwwww!!!!!!! i hate digitally remastered C.D. They are called originals for a reason.

I am not obsessed, I just have a one-track mind. (Obessed people go to counceling.)
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 04, 20:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Naw man, I still listen to wax cylindrical recordings from the 1800s.

Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1417 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 04, 23:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Inu Yasha:

FIS and SF remasters are from 1996.

And STAR FLEET was released on CD, but not properly remastered.

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8684 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 04, 09:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In an 1984 interview about the making of The Works Freddie said TW woz the first Queen album that was digitally mastered.

Killed by drones.
inu-liger

Posted: 21 Dec 04, 17:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed, TW was the first digitally MASTERED album. But "The Miracle" was the first digitally recorded and mastered album made by Queen.

Perhaps I should share the e-mail I got from Justin Shirley-Smith with you guys - what do you think?

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 04, 17:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wasn't AKOM digitally recorded?