Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > To all those who saying its not Queen

forum rss feed
Author

Russian Headlong user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Dec 04, 05:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sure there is no Freddie and of course messrs Taylor and May know that, Deacon is entitled to carry on as a recluse thats his right. What pisses me off is that so many people on this site have a snooty, sneering attitude that going on tour as Queen without FM is heresy.

AC/DC lost their frontman and continued to evn greater heights despite the fact that Bon Scott is still revered as a legend

The WHO- Daltry and Townsend still plan to tour as the Who despite no Moon and Entwhistle.

INXS- Touring without Hutchence

THIN LIZZY- Touring minus Phil Lynott, thats probably the closest comparison to Queen minus Fred.

BLACK SABBATH, LYNYRD SKYNYRD toured with just one founder member. Face it, why not hear Queen's songs from two original members playing,Quo and Kiss have been playing with just two for years and it has not stopped their popularity. Rogers is a great choice not some pop dick like RW or George Michael and lets face it Taylor/May have made some terrible collaborations in the past few years, 5IVE, RW, pepsi ad oh dear! Time to get back on track. Rock til ya drop! Surely the band has to be called TaylorMay de

"Give it to me one more time!"
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 04, 06:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What makes George Michael a dick? The fact that he's an awesome singer?

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Russian Headlong user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 04, 06:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WHAM! Need I say more, Oh sorry he makes serious music now doesn't he. Sure he did somebody to love well at the freddie tribute but look at the pap he turns out, its awful.

"Give it to me one more time!"
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 04, 06:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"WHAM!" has some pretty damn good tunes as well. I can see this turning into an argument, So I'll leave now.

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 04, 07:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love Wham and think they`re cracking. But that`s another point. In relation to this: yes many bands have toured or recorded without some of their key members (the most particular case is Aerosmith without Perry in 1978), but the idea of Queen with no Freddie or John is laughable imo, just like INXS without Michael, just ridiculous. Page & Plant surely kick ass, but they`re that, Page & Plant, no Led Zeppelin. Before I used to think that the two of them + Roger, Brian & John were the only intelligent people in rock. Well, and the ex-Beatles but they were probably because they didn`t need to perform as Beatles to be recognised. When Elton announce George & Ringo at Prince`s Trust people already knew who they were.

Phil introduced the formed Led Zeppelin guys not as "Led Zeppelin", but as "Robert Plant, Jimmy Page & John Paul Jones" (not neccesarily in that order). So, until 2000 Page, Plant, May, Taylor and Deacon were the only intelligent people in rock. Now, it`s only Page, Plant & Deacon.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 04, 07:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Russian Headlong wrote:

WHAM! Need I say more, Oh sorry he makes serious music now doesn't he. Sure he did somebody to love well at the freddie tribute but look at the pap he turns out, its awful.

His music may not be the best, I agree. I don't like his style.
But that doesn't change the fact that he's an awesome singer with a brilliant voice who's able to sing Queen songs that it makes the hair on your neck go up (Somebody to love) because it's damn similar to Freddie's way of singing.
Thinking about it... George Michael would've been a better choice IMO.

And all the bands you mentioned in your post are not half as good as they were in the early days.
Especially The Who. IMO they could do without Entwistle but not without Keith Moon!

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 04, 07:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's not the irrelevant babble between songs with out Keith Moon. Ox would still be great to have..but dieing does stuff some things up.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
the oppositionist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 882 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 04, 08:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Russian Headlong wrote:

Sure there is no Freddie and of course messrs Taylor and May know that, Deacon is entitled to carry on as a recluse thats his right. What pisses me off is that so many people on this site have a snooty, sneering attitude that going on tour as Queen without FM is heresy.

AC/DC lost their frontman and continued to evn greater heights despite the fact that Bon Scott is still revered as a legend

The WHO- Daltry and Townsend still plan to tour as the Who despite no Moon and Entwhistle.

INXS- Touring without Hutchence

THIN LIZZY- Touring minus Phil Lynott, thats probably the closest comparison to Queen minus Fred.

BLACK SABBATH, LYNYRD SKYNYRD toured with just one founder member. Face it, why not hear Queen's songs from two original members playing,Quo and Kiss have been playing with just two for years and it has not stopped their popularity. Rogers is a great choice not some pop dick like RW or George Michael and lets face it Taylor/May have made some terrible collaborations in the past few years, 5IVE, RW, pepsi ad oh dear! Time to get back on track. Rock til ya drop! Surely the band has to be called TaylorMay de

you have a good point here. its all about the brand name. fewer people would go if you called it brian may and roger taylor with paul rogers, because less people know them by name. i was discussing a similar point the other day

melinadeacon@queenzone.com
Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 04, 15:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen was 100% Freddie's band. Everything from the multi-meaning name was made his way. Freddie was Queen. If all other members died, Freddie could get some new guys and call themselves Queen. When Freddie is gone, there's no Queen. He was the voice and the face of Queen. The other guys in Queen owe their success to Freddie (they've even admitted this).

Now you will of course say that they were all evenly important for the success. They weren't. Just look at what happened after Freddie's death.

The saddest part about this new "exciting" tour/album thing is that lots of kids will think that Queen kicked out that fag with the moustache and replaced him with Rodgers. Believe me, there are many people for whom it's a huge surprise that the guy who sang TSMGO, WATC, WWRY and Gaga died 13 years ago.

For me, the last Queen concert took place at Knebworth 1986. Any concert after that is something totally different from a Queen concert.

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
Hankster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 469 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 04, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whisperer wrote:

Now you will of course say that they were all evenly important for the success. They weren't. Just look at what happened after Freddie's death.

They where friends. I'm certain that Freddie would've said the same when Johnny, Roger or Bri died, and that they wouldn't go back to the studio and do a tour for some years .. but people would accept a new Queen with the same frontman much easier than with the same drummer and guitarist; he's the person who is the face of tha band, he has the leading role. But for me, ALL four members are not replaceable, if you want to compair this new Queen to the old one. The old one was unique and the combination of those various talents made the band we love. You can never have that back when one of these man die, no matter which one.

But that doesn't say that they can never go on with some-one else .. just see this as a new chapter in the long history of Queen. This is a new Queen. I would've said the same when Bri died in 1991 and they did a tour with a new guitarist. It's not the old Queen, but it's still Queen.

Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 04, 16:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whisperer wrote:

Queen was 100% Freddie's band. Everything from the multi-meaning name was made his way. Freddie was Queen. If all other members died, Freddie could get some new guys and call themselves Queen. When Freddie is gone, there's no Queen. He was the voice and the face of Queen. The other guys in Queen owe their success to Freddie (they've even admitted this).

The saddest part about this new "exciting" tour/album thing is that lots of kids will think that Queen kicked out that fag with the moustache and replaced him with Rodgers. Believe me, there are many people for whom it's a huge surprise that the guy who sang TSMGO, WATC, WWRY and Gaga died 13 years ago.

For me, the last Queen concert took place at Knebworth 1986. Any concert after that is something totally different from a Queen concert.

Nah.. I wouldn't say Freddie was 100% Queen. He alone was 50% maybe...He attracted the people with his voice and stage performance. Of course also with his musical talent...
But he wouldn't have gotten that far without the others.
Queen wouldn't have been what they were without Roger's, Brian's and John's input, despite of Freddie's great talent and stage persona but don't forget the great songs Roger, John and especially Brian contributed.
Plus, Freddie could play piano. But Queen were a rockband. Not to imagine Queen without Brian's great guitar skills! Or Roger's drums or John's bass!

So 50% of Queen are still here (although one of them is hidden somewhere) so they are able to put up a great show.

We shouldn't always compare with Queen of '86 and before cos we won't get the same band, that's for sure.

But I'm still not convinced that this tour thing is a good idea.
We should remember Queen as they were when they stopped.

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 04, 16:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen were NOT Freddie Mercury's solo band! All four members collaborated in songwritting and three of the four sang AND Brian and Roger have ALSO had successful solo albums and tours. Listen Freddie made some choices and there were consiquences to them like all that we make and life. Other people can suffer from the ones we make but there is no reason why the other members have to take complete responsibility for Freddie's mistakes. So hail, hail! And long live Queen!

Sebastian

Posted: 18 Dec 04, 20:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don`t think Roger had a successful solo career. Unfortunately, because it`s my favourite and it deserves way more attention. Perhaps if Roger & Brian would have had the success they deserved with wonderful albums such as Electric Fire and Another world, they wouldn`t be messing up with the band`s name right now

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
LadyMoonshineDown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 894 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 04, 20:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, whatever happens will happen, regardless of what we computerites think of it all.

I understand the views of those who think Queen going on tour will be a bad thing, and I can understand those who feel that it makes no difference. But really folks....in the long run....

Anyone who means anything in the music business isn't going to give a rats ass, regardless. so let us bicker on! I enjoy it. ;)
Cheers

"Today I saw an American flag flying at full mast and I was reassured--I knew someone....somewhere....was alive."
L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 04, 20:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie was unique,I don't care what the other bands do.

Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 18 Dec 04, 20:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've said it before and I'll say it again....BOOOOOOOOORING

Brian and Roger have been working their ass off for the band for 30 years. So they have the fucking right to keep on playing even when one of the people in that band has died.

Did Coca Cola stop to excist when the one of the founding people died?

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)

Posted: 19 Dec 04, 03:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

Did Coca Cola stop to excist when the one of the founding people died?

No, but I'm pretty sure Coca Cola will stop to excist when the coca plants dissapear from Earth. Of course it might change into Coca Cola + green tea, but that just isn't the same, is it?

Posted: 19 Dec 04, 05:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, I can imagine Queen without Roger, Brian and especially John.

Sebastian

Posted: 19 Dec 04, 05:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thinking about it, PERHAPS Fred`s contribution to the quality, success and sound of Queen was bigger than the other`s, considering he was the dominant songwriter and arranger, and he played piano (which is the main instrument in many Queen classics) and sang both lead and many harmonies (e.g. in Love Of My Life it`s only him). But his contribution is still smaller than the sum of the contribution of Roger, Brian and John imo.

Still, I said it before and I`ll say it again: Queen without Freddie is absurd. Even Aerosmith culd exist for a little while without Joe (even though it was just one year), but without Steven it couldn`t live imo. So, yes, Fred isn`t Queen, same as a brain is not a person. But, without the brain, the person dies. There`s still heart, legs, arms, lungs, kidneys... but the person is bloody dead. So is the band

QUEEN11 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 04, 05:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

of all these band's mentioned,i'd say the only one that worked was ac/dc,the rest are just a joke,and maybe the ac/dc thing worked,was because they never really stopped at all,brian more or less stepped in straight away,but with queen now going to tour 14 years after freddie died,it's kind of sore to accept.not that it would have been any easier if it would have happened say back in 92,but after all these years,everyone lived with the fond memories of original queen,and with brian saying in lots of various interviews over the years they COULD'NT tour as queen again,but now they are and specially for the older fan's it makes it hard to accept..maybe once we get over the shock of it we'll think differant??just maybe..for all of us queen were,and still are legend's,we all still enjoy the music/watching the video's etc..i for one wish it would stay that way..