Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Robbie williams

forum rss feed
Author

zanotti user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 17 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 04, 00:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why didnt they tour with Robbie Williams, seen him live and he is more like Freddie than anyone these days

Melancholy Blues user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 205 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 04, 00:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

because robbie williams is really famous and does not need to tour with queen. paul rodgers is a has been and him and queen need each other to come back into the limelight. i do agree however that robbie would be a much better replacement for freddie (not that he can be replaced)though it would be more like robbie williams featuring queen, queen would become like his support act.

I want to break free from your lies you're so self satisfied I don't need you
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 04, 01:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Brian and Roger are more on the same page as Paul Rodgers. They're all experienced, respected musicians who've been in the business for years and already cemented a legacy for themselves. Robbie Williams is more of an up-and-coming popstar who's made a name for himself, but doesn't have the history that Brian and Roger have with Queen and Paul has with Bad Company, Free and The Firm. Also, like Melancholy Blues said, he probably would end up attracting more attention to himself and end up taking the focus off the first tour as Queen in years.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 04, 03:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Robbie's too young to tour with them.
I like Robbie, he's a damn good singer and he also reminded me of Freddie when I saw him but he doesn't fit in that well...

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
Hairy Rump user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 72 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 04, 04:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

robby isnt up'n'cumming
he is a household name already
sadly enuff

filthy cumguzzling ladyboy
Hankster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 469 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 04, 05:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Paul has a history and is a great singer. But with Robbie they can easily fill huge venues like Knebworth and Wembley in Brittain and Waldbuehne in Germany and Ahoy in Holland a couple of nights.
And I doubt that they will with Paul Rodgers .. I wish them all the luck with the tour (I'm sure it will be great!), but I don't think that they must set their hopes too high .. and neither must we.

How much I like the Allright Now thing from the Music Hall, I really think that Robbie was a better frontmen for this. But ye, I also think that it would be a "Robbie ft. Queen" thing .. with everywhere banners with Robbie slogans .. nah .. Paul is better ;)

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 04, 07:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree, a tour with Robbie would rule!

Killed by drones.
Hankster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 469 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 04, 08:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've always said that he was the perfect man for a tour together with George Michael and Tony Vincent; I always thought that a concert with those three singers as the frontmen would be awesome .. but indeed, most of the reactions where boo's :p

Scirocco1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 533 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 04, 09:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

According to Robbie's biography "Feel", he no longer wanted to work with Queen because they started collaborating with boybands (5ive). Brian stated in an interview that Robbie could give them a call if he is interedted singing for them.

I like the idea actually. I am not a fan of Robbie per se, but I like some of his songs and his stage performance is awesome.

Keep 'em mowing blades sharp!
Scirocco1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 533 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 04, 15:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dunno... however, i can check again inthe biography... maybe he was referring to the britney spears collaboration

Keep 'em mowing blades sharp!
LadyMoonshineDown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 894 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 04, 15:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Since Robbie Williams is an "up and coming star", it would only seem fit to have an older and more experienced frontman to collaborate with. You know, someone with more experience to command a crowd.
Cheers

"Today I saw an American flag flying at full mast and I was reassured--I knew someone....somewhere....was alive."
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 09:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

and i think you're a wankster, nuff said :P

Killed by drones.
Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 11:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the RW version of WATC was not too bad really. But I agree that he's not the right artist to tour with Queen. He's far too successful in his own right, and it would be a mixed focus of material. All RW's core fans would probably be a little bemused when the Queen songs were played, and there'd be much more of an equal split between RW and Queen songs, which would not please the Queen fans. So nobody wins!

It remains to be seen, but I suspect that the tour with Paul Rogers will have much more Queen material and four or five from Paul's catalogue. Plus fans of Paul will probably be fans of, or at least respect, Queen

Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
Mack2008 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mack2008
Bohemian: 111 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 11:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I loved him in Mrs Doubtfire and Birdcage!

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

robbie is englands justin timberlake, stop all the robbie talk, i have one of his CDs and it has 2 or 3 good songs the rest stinks, he's overated just like spears and justin.

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 15:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scirocco1977 wrote:

According to Robbie's biography "Feel", he no longer wanted to work with Queen because they started collaborating with boybands (5ive).

QUOTE]

At least Robbie understands that some of Queen's last collaborations were ...um.. crap!

- Aldous Huxley
Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 15:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The thing with Robbie is, he thinks he is the greatest ever. And alot of people who go and see him go 'coz he is apparently gorgeous, not 'coz the music is fantastic.

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 16:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lord Blackadder wrote:

The thing with Robbie is, he thinks he is the greatest ever. And alot of people who go and see him go 'coz he is apparently gorgeous, not 'coz the music is fantastic.

The music isn't bad but not fantastic but he is indeed a brilliant entertainer!
I mean, take a look at his performances... the last time I saw all that crowd at Knebworth going crazy from the first row to the last was when Queen played it (well, from what I saw on videos).

But I am happy that they didn't choose Robbie for the tour! As much as I like him but I don't think he would have been the right choice!

- Aldous Huxley
GaLiLe0 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think touring with RW is the right thing to do for Brian and Roger. Paul Rodgers is the right man at the moment to tour with.

But instead of RW, a guest-appearance of Justin Hawkins from The Darkness would just be perfect! Especially for songs like Love Of My Life and Don't Try So Hard etc.
I think it would be beautiful if Justin sings this slow, high songs live with Brian and Roger!

Houdoe,
GaLiLe0 aka Ad

teddybear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 17:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't like Robbie personally, but maybe if they used Robbie, he would actually over-shadow Queen really? In they way that he now holds the biggest record for packing out Knebworth than anyone in history (so they say) - "maybe" it would look like Robbie Williams with Queen as HIS support? Seeing he has such a big fan base now?
Although, I personally cannot stand him !!
I think the press would view it as Robbie going on Tour with Queen ?????????????
(just a thought)