Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Roger: Can he still ROCK? Just concerned...

forum rss feed
Author

Deacons 1st Choice user not visiting Queenzone.com
Deacons 1st Choice
Bohemian: 603 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 04, 19:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm concerned about Roger...is he really fit enough to take on a tour in this day and age in the shape he's in now?

This is ment as no offense to The Cornish Lord...but can he pull this off, this "Queen" Tour? Roger just appears to be, well, too...uh.."aged" to handle such a undertaking. Word is he is excited the most about touring again...but i'm just wondering if he can take this on at his age.

Certainly they will be taking another drummer along to co-drum during the shows. I'm not sure if Roger can still keep up his stamina to drum the whole concert. He's not the youngster he used to be....but boy, he can still drum when he does!

Then of course, there are all this talk about him being ill and having weird "ticks"....leaves one to wonder about his current health.

Perhaps i'm just being over-sensitive about this....i'm just curious if anyone else here has similar concerns.

So what do all of you think about this?

CAN Roger still rock??

GonnaUseMyPrisoners user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 714 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 00:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm a huge Roger fan, always was. But I too am concerned after what I saw on the 46664 concert & the Queen's 50th Anniversary gala. They weren't his finest hours. Specifically, as I recall, the young lady in the Corrs really gave him a run for his money during their "duet"... though he very well may have restrained himself deliberately since it was a Corrs performance, not Queen. Regardless, he seemed pretty winded during/after it, which is not a good omen for a drummer soon to take on a full-throttle tour. I'd still pay to see 'em if they came stateside, though, don't get me wrong! I'm sure he'll go into training in order to ramp up.

...gonna use my prisoners, gonna give 'em the business...
LadyMoonshineDown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 894 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 01:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, everyone ages.
Just look at Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. Be thankful that Roger is NOT like them. That would be ghastly.
Cheers

"Today I saw an American flag flying at full mast and I was reassured--I knew someone....somewhere....was alive."
The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 02:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Probably Roger will work hard to become fit.... Don't worry about that.

I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY
Hairy Rump user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 72 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 03:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

he has rehumatism
and some disease no his sclap becos of all the bleeching

filthy cumguzzling ladyboy
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 03:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don`t think Rog would practice for the new tour. Judging by what I`ve seen from him after the 90s (i.e. Amsterdam, the jam with Brian at Bo Rhap documentary, Pavarotti & Friends, Jubilee...) he isn`t 1% of what he used to be. Same as singer. He is really good and has great pitch, but he was endless times better some 6 years ago.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Hankster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 469 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 03:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well .. people age, so it isn't that surprising that he can't do the same things like the 80s', which I think was Queen finest moments with the Magic tour and the Miracle album.
But, I guess he can still pull it of, because why did he agree then to do a tour? I think he knows well enough if he's still good enough.

Little running, little fitness, much of drum practicing .. and our Roger will be great next year :)

Roger-Taylor.Net user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 21 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 04:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can partly understand Sebastian's concerns when I watch the Amsterdam gig, etc. But I was lucky enough to see him on stage last Sunday during the aftershow gig in Cologne. He's much more confident on the drums than 1 or 2 years ago and his voice is still great. I am very sure he'll be fine on both vocals and drums in a few months! And I'll bet he'll practice for this tour.

"Shameless Advertising:"

http://www.roger-taylor.net
Regor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 364 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 05:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also saw him that sunday night in cologne, when he signed autographs backstage - to me he looked fresh and healthy.

Guten Tag und Guten Abend !!! We had a great time in Cologne. Drinking beer in the sunshine beside the Mighty Rhein brought back many memories for me..... (Brian May, 2004)
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 11:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="#00CC00">grapefruit</font> wrote:

LadyMoonshineDown wrote:

Well, everyone ages.
Just look at Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. Be thankful that Roger is NOT like them. That would be ghastly.
Cheers

good answer... if Mick Jagger and Keith Richards can do somthink... everyone can.. They are so.. aged.. somehow..

Mick and Keith dont sit behind a drum kit twatting it for 2 hours solid. Bit of a difference!

Chom own mudder fukker.
moonie user not visiting Queenzone.com
moonie
Bohemian: 389 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 12:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I doubt whether Now I'm Here will be part of the set list for this tour.
And Stone cold crazy would probably do him in.
Seriously though, I hope they dont have a session guy alongside Rog, I think that would be quite sad
But thats just my opinion.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i agree, i thought it was sad seeing a session drummer during the mandela show, i think he's in better shape right now then he was back then, and he'll be fine for the tour.

jeff payne 1680 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 711 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 15:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He did stone cold crazy in Vegas earlier this year and ripped through it, he'll be fine a bit of skiing this month and he'll be back to strength

jeffpayne56@msn.com
JDL2nd user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 292 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was also concerced when I saw the 46664 concert. He looked very weak and tired. But I also heard some stuff (like WWRY Songwriters Hall of Fame) and more stuff and this sounded really great. I was a fan of Roger and still am. I think he has his energy back and will do a great show. But we have got to be realistic. This man is a lot older than perhaps when he did the magic tour. But still HE WILL ROCK on this tour !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 15:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are fatter people than Rog who still tour. Stupid question really.

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
slightly mad 22 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 151 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 17:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i seriously hope he is ok for the tour and all the doubts are ......(whats the word i'm looking for??) unfounded!!

would be a shame to see them drag themselves on stage like Sinatra did at the end,just because they needed the fame fix!!

let's be honest would Freddie really want to tour now(at his age) if he was still alive??

i doubt it

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 19:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> Does he still remember all the songs? Des he know all Paul's songs? I bet he'll practice a lot and will give the world some great performances!

I hope he does. But I meant he probably wouldn`t even bother, like some superstars do after a while. Not that he wouldn`t rehearse at all, but he perhaps wouldn`t do it as in his best days. But I`m being too negative about it so let`s see what happens. As in Gone With The Wind, tomorrow will be another day

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Monte: Liquorice Years user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 674 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 21:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

of course he'll be fine! come on, he's a rocker...an ageing rocker, maybe, but still a rocker.

He just needs someone backstage to shag to put him in the right mode...can i volunteer?

And Brian is older, if he can still jump around playing the guitar, then why can't Roger play the drums? and I'm not completely stupid... i know drums ask alot more of one's energy but still! he'll do it...and if he doesnt come on tour...I'll scream

Cheer up emo kid!

Monte: Liquorice Years user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 674 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 22:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sweet! I'm there! I'll also use my alias, and many other names...and just wear wigs so he cant tell who i am.... like he'd give a shit! I'm young! He'll take me! (well, he'd wanna...)

Cheer up emo kid!

ryancoke user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 202 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 04, 03:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bottom line: Roger dies, I cry. He MUST be in the Tour, and he's got the heart to get through it, so I say go for it!

Give us the right key, f#@! sakes...