Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Tony Parsons Daily Mirror (20/12/04)

forum rss feed
Author

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 14:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't wait for the flak to fly after his article in today's paper. My opinion (for what it's worth) is HE'S entitled to his opinion. I disagree with him completely. But you have to understand that his musical background was punk - so he would've been anti-everything Queen stood for - establishment, art school, public school privieged backgrounds...One thing, do you think (people) thta we can be contructive of his comments without all the apologists and "angry young men/women" jumping to stoic defence of oour band...let's hear some genuine opinion on his articel (other than "what a load of shit".....sermon over....Brenski now tosses a live grenade onto the fire....here's the article (in FULL)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
QUEEN OF THE FAKES Dec 20 2004

QUEEN to reform? Be still my beating heart.
One commentator said Queen "arguably rank second only to the Beatles in British pop history".

It is certainly arguable.
Queen were crap with Freddie Mercury - pompous, overblown, all style and no substance - and they will be crap fronted by grizzled bluesy shouter Paul Rodgers (an odd choice - like getting Mike Tyson to stand in for Wayne Sleep).

In the 30-year orgy of British groups, Queen were never more than a fake orgasm.

As a punishment, my first editor once sent me to see them at Wembley Arena. It was horrible - like a pantomime for thick adults.

These little islands have produced the greatest bands in popular music. The Who, Stones, Kinks, Beatles, Small Faces, Faces, Clash, Sex Pistols, Smiths, Stone Roses, Libertines - I could go on all day.

Queen were never the real thing. They made a few good singles because, for all Freddie Mercury's faults - a preening emptiness being the foremost - the old tart had a sense of humour. But Queen were always the most wildly overrated band in the world.

Apart from U2, of course.

go deo na h√Čireann
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 14:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

fuck him, what does he know, the libertines, give me a break.

Rich Tea user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 17:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Unfortunatly a lot of music journo's think it is credible to like anything which is trendy and cult but once it becomes popular to the masses then it must be crap. The Beatles got away with it because they were the first. Queen have always been easy targets generally liked by the masses. Unfortunatly Mr Parsons is now very much in the minority because most people of his age now admit (some grudgingly) to having liked Queen all along. Steve Jones (ex Pistols) admited on his US radio show that all the Pistols loved Queen and that the two bands became friends while recording in the same studios. It was a romantic notion that the punk bands couldn't play the truth was that bands like The Clash and The Damned certainly could. Punk was a kick up the backside for British music with artists like ELP,Yes, Genesis and Cliff dissappearing up there own arses.
Queen bashing was fashionable from 75 to 80 but anybody doing it in 2004 just loses all credibility and looks stupid. He's not expressing his opinion he is trying to look clever my money is on him owning at least one Queen album!!!

Shadow boxing with yourself just seems to get you no where!

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 18:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i didn't know the pistols admitted to liking queen that's pretty nice info, and your right he looks dumb at this point, especially knowing the stones, the who, the beatles, and now learning the pistols all were and are queen fans, now who looks stupid.

Flashman user not visiting Queenzone.com
Flashman
Deity: 4523 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 18:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The thing I can't believe is the fact that people admit to reading The Mirror.

You ought to be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves.

FLASHMAN STRIKES AGAIN!

Paul Rodgers is not the best thing since fried Fred.
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 19:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought the article was spot on.

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
andymezza_uk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 20:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Only thing I agreed with was what he said about U2. Massively overrated.

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 20:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i have to agree about U2

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 04, 22:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don`t think U2 is underrated in any way. About the rest, what I find odd is the Mike Tyson for Wayne Sleep remark. Way off.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 04, 05:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

two points:
1. i read two papers (plus one local one - b'ham evening mail) the mirror for sport and the independent

2. his opinion is flawed in many ways - if you read his books (which i do) you'll see that most most of his lead characters are Parson's clones

and they share a very similar taste and they tend to come from similar backgrounds - and appear to dislike the stuff they MOST identify with

go deo na h√Čireann
pma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3462 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 04, 05:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yep, few good singles. Like the one about "Mama"... not as good as "She's A Killer" or whatsitcalled.

Truth hurts.

"I think now I can make love to your anus without making God angry"

The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 04, 06:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bo Rhap is the most successful single on earth, but he's right... it's all fake, all crap (-;

He's a writer... never listened to real music I think.

I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY
Gaz man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 04, 07:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Come on guys really look at the paper this guy writes for, every one knows that papers like the daily mirror are directed at the interlectual capacity of a seven year old. And even to reply to this myself i find a little low.

History speaks for itself, we are talking about one of the biggest selling outfits of the past few decades on a worlwide basis. Not many bands have ever made this step especially for such duration. The only "super- band" of current light to do the same is U2. No longer do we live in the age of genuine massive bands, the "limited edition" manufactured garbage runs a mock of us all. Mr. Parsons does the same in the light to his article.

Sure the guy can have his opinion, and im sure he's not the only one who thinks like this. But with the continual and every growing number of fans form professional musicians and consumers alike (for a band who have not released new material for some time) Queen remian one of the most important bands of our time - the numbers speak for themselves.

If a band like Bon Jovi can release an album titled 100,000,000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong I wonder how much larger this number would be for Queen.

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8684 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 04, 10:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice! hehehe, but u guys shouldn't feel attacked, i mean it's just a journalist, COME ON! Queen didn't care and we shouldn't either!

Killed by drones.
Mr Coolest Cat user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr Coolest Cat
Bohemian: 908 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 04, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tony Parsons is just a jumped up barrow boy who works for a rag thats been slowly going down the pan for years.

There must be more to life than this.
Dicky Hart user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 467 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 04, 11:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tony Parsons is a prat, he is always on Tv or writing out about how bad everything is, he never has anything postive to say about anything.

Im sure I saw a photo of him standing with brian once at some Showbiz bash, where was his quaffing the free champagne. Ignore this screwball.

Give me a good guitar and you can say that my hairs a disgrace.
Perry user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 136 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 04, 12:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I think the Daily Mail is my regular paper now. I liked the article 'We Will Rock You (Again)'by David Thomas. Especially end.

'So Queen aren't really replacing Freddie Mercury, because you can't replace Freddie Mercury, but somehow, I think we already knew that.'

Tony Parsons vs. David Thomas please!

-Perry
dorahc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 107 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 04, 13:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but its apparent this guy doesn't know what the HELL he is talking about!

slightly mad 22 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 151 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 04, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

that must be total album sales/single sales/concert tickets and merchandise sold since the band formed in the early 80's till now!!

got to admit saw them in concert and they are good!!

akan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 541 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 04, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

can someone post his e-mail or the email of the daily mirror?