Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > best song left off greatest hits albums

forum rss feed
Author

bigc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 353 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Dec 04, 15:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think its Scandal, but thats my personal opinion.its close between Scandal and A Winters Tale, both are easily better than a fair few tracks on GH3.

(tie your mother down is another)

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 04, 15:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Definitely Tie Your Mother Down. It's the perfect, tongue-in-cheek rock song, but it just didn't chart as high as it deserved.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

QueenZeppelin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 316 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 04, 16:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stone Cold Crazy. Thrash metal a full half decade before it was in vogue. This track is, is at least to me, the first such example of thrash metal.

"Have you ever seen or touched any monkeys?"
Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 04, 17:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's something about TYMD that I don't like, not sure what though. When you listen to it, it's a decent song and you start banging your head and enjoy it, but still I always skip it. Same thing with Now I'm Here, Play The Game and It's a Hard Life.

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
kleinhond user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 127 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 04, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Keep Yourself Alive, Stone Cold Crazy, Tie Your Mother Down, Spread Your Wings and Under Pressure should have been on GH1 (in fact they could still be added to a remastered expanded CD version with running time to spare)

Las Palabras and These Are The Days Of Our Lives should have been on GH2 instead of Headlong and The Miracle

A Winters Tale, Headlong, The Miracle, Scandal, Backchat and Body Language should have been
on GH3 instead of Barcelona, Driven By You and tracks with George Michael and Wyclef

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 04, 17:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kleinhond wrote:

Keep Yourself Alive, Stone Cold Crazy, .....should have been on GH1...

!----no no no These songs didn't chart and Stone Cold Crazy woz not released as a single in the UK, so it's good these were left off GH1!
And TYMD and SYW were no big hits so they picked the singles that hit it higher in the UKlists and they could come up with 17 songs that's quite impressive, all the songs on GH1 were at least top 10 songs!
--------
Las Palabras and These Are The Days Of Our Lives should have been on GH2 instead of Headlong and The Miracle

!----yes and no, Las Palabras did hit the charts(17) and compared to 'Forever' it even did better! So it should be on GHII, Headlong too, it's good they included that one! The Miracle should be left off the album, cuz it only got to 21, as did Thank God It's Christmas so they included Miracle, why not X-Mas???

And Days Of Our Lives couldn't be included on GHII as it woz released as a double A side with Bo Rhap in December of 91 and GHII woz released in Oct of that year. Of course they could wait, but maybe they didn't plan on releasing Days of our lives...but then again they made a video for it.
------
A Winters Tale, Headlong, The Miracle, Scandal, Backchat and Body Language should have been
on GH3 instead of Barcelona, Driven By You and tracks with George Michael and Wyclef

!---They made a mistake with A Winter's Tale, it woz a top10 hit in 95(6) so it's a shame they didn't include this one on GHIII and GFIII! Not with u on Body Language, it didn't chart well in the UK. ANd these songs aren't included for a reason, it's a Greatest Hits album not a Best Of album, there's a difference. But ur right in a way, better than including some solo tracks and mediocre remixes or collaborations.

So when they compiled these albums, they had requirements when it came to chartpositions and popularity of songs, of course Forever did equally well on the charts as Palabras did but Forever woz far more popular among fans and general record buying public at the end of 1991 and of course in the emotional sense.
*hmmmmmm*

Killed by drones.
bigc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 353 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 04, 18:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

a winters tale is the one that surprises me most

it got to No 6, let left off for tracks which didnt even chart(elton john-show must go on), and no21(thank god its xmas),plus solo material which isnt even queen

I can understand leaving scandal off GH3, cos it missed the boat(could have been on GH2)

QueenZeppelin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 316 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 04, 18:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does it piss anybody else off that that guy kept on saying "woz" and seemed to know little about grammar and punctuation?

"Have you ever seen or touched any monkeys?"
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 04, 18:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dude, my story IS 100% correct, who gives a fuck about grammar?? IT'S READABLE! I'll save my grammar and spelling for my essays, this is a noticeboard for godssake don't be a wanker!

Killed by drones.
Zander05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zander05
Bohemian: 860 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 04, 20:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are tons of songs that deserve to be called greatest hits. But I personally think that GH3 was an excuse to release music videos and a CD so as to appease our insatiable (sp?) appetite (no, I did not purposely rip that phrase from Killer Queen) for merchandise.

OK, a Queen compilation should not feature solo material. And it does drive me nuts that the bulk of GH3 is the Made In Heaven Album. *shrugs* I dunno.

Getting back to the topic though, I think Father To Son should have been 'greatest hit' worthy. I apologize for the negative comments towards GH3 as they don't relate to this thread at all.

mrWKMahler user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 192 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 04, 21:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

although on queen rocks...

ITS LATE

and some others

FATHER TO SON

OGRE BATTLE

WHITE QUEEN

......................and a slew of songs as well...

LONG LIVE THE BAD QUEEN CO!

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 23 Dec 04, 23:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It would help if the songs you mentioned were singles.

Teo_torriate04 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 414 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 04, 02:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Spread Your Wings, a wonderful, wonderful song.

To cast aside the fury of the battle.

To turn my weary eyes for home.
Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 04, 04:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color="orange">Dust_Biter</b> wrote:

I Want It All

Why the hell? This is one of the best known Queen songs. It was a no.1 in many European countries and no.3 in the UK.

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 04, 07:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The BEST songs in my opinion that were missed off were Tie Your Mother Down and Spread Your Wings. But Queen said it's not a 'greatest hit' unless it gets above number 30. The only reason Tie your Mother Down didn't get very high in the charts has to be because of the fact that punk was kicking off (same for 77's Spread your Wings), the song is just brilliant, and it's Queen's best live song, especially when it's played near the end of the show like at Milton Keynes, the last 4 songs (take out AOBTD) are just pure carnage.

But the songs like those, Keep Yourself Alive and Scandal should have gone on Greatest Hits III instead of Another One Bites The Dust with Wyclef.

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 04, 07:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also as has been said about 5 times, these albums are NOT Best Of's. They are Greatest Hits. So I Want It All has to go on 'coz it got to number 3, and Now I'm Here got to number 11 or 12.

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
KJ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 171 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 04, 10:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Love of my life on GH1

I think I'll be Clint Eastwood

Jimi Hendrix he was good

Let's try William the Conqueror

Now who else do I like?
boy of destiny user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 214 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 04, 12:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Definitely "Tie Your Mother Down." I don't know how it charted, but I've always thought that "Dragon Attack" is often overlooked.

moonie user not visiting Queenzone.com
moonie
Bohemian: 389 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 04, 12:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I may get shot down for this but I think 'I Go Crazy' should appear on a comp
I bought Radio Gaga when it came out and thought the b side was way better then and still do now
Good old fashioned over the top tongue in cheeck rocker

lovely!

moonie user not visiting Queenzone.com
moonie
Bohemian: 389 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 04, 12:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

craggsa wrote:

I may get shot down for this but I think 'I Go Crazy' should appear on a comp
I bought Radio Gaga when it came out and thought the b side was way better then and still do now
Good old fashioned over the top tongue in cheeck rocker

lovely!

Christ look how I spelt Cheek
Somebody get me a typist