Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > did john sing at concerts; put forward ya evidence

forum rss feed
Author

liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Dec 04, 10:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

this is a question that plagues me everytime i watch wembley or milton keys. so lets settle this once and for all and put forward the eveidence that both supports john singing and evidence that doesnt.

for; my first for evidence is the fact that john doesnt try to say that he sings opera parts in the songs. this occurs on wembley several times. the most noticable is on tie ya mother down. john sings the main chorus but when the opera part comes on 'give me all your love tonight' he pulls away. this also happens in hammer to fall.
and the simple fact that queen did not like miming and i dont think the other band members would have allowed him to mime.

against; my big against evidence is the fact that john allows has stated he never sang on any albums. on milton keys john doesnt 'sing' that often, not as much as wembley. but when he does it doesnt seem real. he sings in the part in somebody to love 'somebody, SOMEBODY' but john sings freddies line. it seems to me that there is only 1 voice there and thats freddies. i dont no whether his mic is real low or something but you cant hear him.

so if you have any evidence for or against leave it hear.

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
Iam the one user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 574 posts

Posted: 25 Dec 04, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well,i think he did some small parts.But`s his microphone was probaly mixed down much more than the others mics.But in some occasional interviews he said he couldnt sing at all.I think everybody can easily sing the chourse on hammer to fall or a kind of magic,without any misteaks,if you just give it a try..

Fucking and champagne
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 25 Dec 04, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh yes, he can sing. I've got a 22 minutes demo of the Prophet's Song where John takes care of the vocal improvisation. Damn, what voice he's got!

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Iam the one user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 574 posts

Posted: 25 Dec 04, 15:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

he`s just a little shy you know.

Fucking and champagne
Radagast user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 25 Dec 04, 16:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rick wrote:

Oh yes, he can sing. I've got a 22 minutes demo of the Prophet's Song where John takes care of the vocal improvisation. Damn, what voice he's got!

what?!
I always think he has never sung with the others and that he just sang in play-back!
Very interesting!!
(Aargh! my english is very horrible, sorry)

QueenZeppelin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 316 posts

Posted: 25 Dec 04, 17:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It sure as hell looks like Deacon sings the chorus of Radio Ga-Ga at Live Aid.

"Have you ever seen or touched any monkeys?"
QueenZeppelin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 316 posts

Posted: 25 Dec 04, 17:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And any chance you could send said Prophet's Child demo to us?

My email address is Woohoo5241@hotmail.com

"Have you ever seen or touched any monkeys?"
Radagast user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 25 Dec 04, 17:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And could I have it too?

radagast_the_green@hotmail.com

really want to hear Deacy sing :)

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 25 Dec 04, 17:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rick was joking actually......

If you hear someone's voice besides Freddie's - remember one thing: there were Roger and Brian! And later - Spike Edney.

John was singing during 'Liar' (live, not on album) at Freddie's mic - so there's his voice, but I doubt if someone can hear it.

SilverShoes user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 128 posts

Posted: 25 Dec 04, 23:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="#00CC00">grapefruit</font> wrote:

But In the STL video he sings in the studio with them when they are recording the backing vocals... But just not all the time like the others. Maby his voice can't been heard much... I don't know how to write this... you know...If he sings at the same time as other he can't be heard.>>

Actually, they're not recording anything. They're lip synching there. The actual recording session probably happened way before they filmed the video.

"Compromise? That word is not in our vocabulary"-Roger Taylor, quoting Freddie Mercury
artist_nine user not visiting Queenzone.com
artist_nine
Bohemian: 124 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 04, 06:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In the Earls Court concert (1977) you can hear John sing on Somebody to Love. After the break when the drums start and they sing "Find me somebody to love" repeatedly. There are four voices and thus one has to be Mr. Deacon himself.

Brianmay1975 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brianmay1975
Bohemian: 608 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 04, 09:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kohntarkosz wrote:

<font color="#00CC00">grapefruit</font> wrote:

But In the STL video he sings in the studio with them when they are recording the backing vocals... But just not all the time like the others. Maby his voice can't been heard much... I don't know how to write this... you know...If he sings at the same time as other he can't be heard.>>

Actually, they're not recording anything. They're lip synching there. The actual recording session probably happened way before they filmed the video.

Yeah, they're always lip synching in videos... they record it separately in order to obtain a higher quality of the sound. Then you mix the images and the sound and there you've got it! Everybody does that... So John doesn't sing on STL, nor does he sing on One Vision (the video shows all four of them in front of a mic).

John's mic wasn't off, it was only very low, so even if he sang the choruses in concert, you wouldn't hear him. But then again, he did sing on Freddie's mic during Liar, however you can't hear his voice... maybe he was lip synching.

I LOVE QUEEN!

"My guitar was my weapon and my shield to hide behind" (Brian May)

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 04, 13:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, on the A Day At The Races tour (Jan-Jun '77) versions of Somebody To Love, John does indeed sing. He has a good sense of pitch, but let's just say he was not blessed with a nice ear-pleasing voice like the others were. :)

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 04, 00:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ive got to hear him sing, ive never heard him

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
MatiasQueen89 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 94 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 04, 00:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pueden ser todos tan pelotudos que nadie se haya dado cuenta que era un chiste?????? ¬¬

Viva Queen es la mejor banda del planeta. Nada se le compara, aguante Queen!!!

Viva Nito Mestre que es un viejo puto.
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 04, 04:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry Funster wrote:

If you hear someone's voice besides Freddie's - remember one thing: there were Roger and Brian! And later - Spike Edney.

John was singing during 'Liar' (live, not on album) at Freddie's mic - so there's his voice, but I doubt if someone can hear it.

Offcourse I was joking, this question has been asked so many times now. You can here John very well on Somebody To Love at Earls Court 1977.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

David Jones user not visiting Queenzone.com
David Jones
Deity: 2469 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 04, 08:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always thought that the out of tune "Oh no!" in Hammer To Fall at Live Aid was John... could just be me though...

"Freddie would have loved it" - Brian May
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 04, 09:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The funny "oh no" in Hammer is Spike

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 04, 09:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rick wrote:

Serry Funster wrote:

Offcourse I was joking, this question has been asked so many times now. You can here John very well on Somebody To Love at Earls Court 1977.

I know that you were joking, but those guys gave you e-mail addresses for mp3 of demo of Prophet Song with John's lead vocal improvisations :)

Canadian May Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 106 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 04, 09:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><font size=1>ah yeah</font> wrote:

Yes, on the A Day At The Races tour (Jan-Jun '77) versions of Somebody To Love, John does indeed sing. He has a good sense of pitch, but let's just say he was not blessed with a nice ear-pleasing voice like the others were. :)

That wouldn't surprise me, it's basically my problem. I can usually sing on key (and well enough for things like backing vocals or incidental lines), but my timbre is really screwed up for pretty much all lead singing (though I still maintain I can sing better than some punk singers I've heard -- MUFFLED GROWLING ISN'T SINGING!) <g>

"I'll top the bill, I'll overkill, I've got to find the will to carry on... The show must go on."