Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Who got the chance to see Freddie live?

forum rss feed
Author

QUEEN*1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Dec 04, 21:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Im only 17 and everytime i listen to freddie and the boys i always feel sad because i never got the chance to see him live, and i always get a sicky feeling because i just cant get to grips that he aint here anymore.

Did any of you get the chance to see him live and just how good was he, i mean i've watched the wembley 86 concert on DVD and he and the boys were brilliant, but its nothing compared to being there.

GonnaUseMyPrisoners user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 714 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 04, 21:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Even in the cheap seats of the largest stadiums, the feeling I got from Queen shows was this: By the end of the show I really felt like they were friends of mine and of everyone around me. Really insanely talented friends who included the audience in their fun & gave everything they had, every night, and loved every minute of performing.

...gonna use my prisoners, gonna give 'em the business...
freddieismyqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 40 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 04, 21:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I never got the chance to see Freddie Mercury live, but I do know people who have. I've never heard a bad review either.

A drama teacher of mine from New York actually MET Freddie, and told me all kinds of things. He said that Freddie was very nice, very polite, but wasn't at all in person like he was on stage. On stage, he said Freddie was phenomenal...he had the ability to make everyone feel involved in the show. He said every show was an experience like no other...one of those things that you never forget. He says he can still remember being in the front row...the warmth of the lights on his faces, Freddie's water hitting his face...I can't help but wish that I were there everytime he tells me about it.

My aunt saw them once...she said it was a great show, and even though she was really far back, she enjoyed every minute of it. She also told me that you couldn't capture on tape how great Freddie's voice really sounded in person.

Hope I helped!

Sara

For my life

Still ahead

Pity me.

[img]http://www.mr-mercury.co.uk/Images/Circus1992red_small1.jpg[/img]
djaef user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 887 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 04, 23:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw Queen 3 nights in a row, and awesome does not even come close to describing how they were. Freddie was a supernova on stage, he was simply a star.

Those three nights I'll never forget.

PS> And by the way, it's Freddie, not Freddie. :) People are sensitive about that sort of stuff around here.

djaef - Queen fan since 1678, after the Dorog concert!
Robin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Robin
Bohemian: 741 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 04, 23:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw them twice. Both times were just amazing. Great live band!

Robin

Dubroc user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dubroc
Bohemian: 522 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 04, 03:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I did once in Leiden Holland 1986.

This concert was the only Queenconcert I went to see. I was 16 years old at that time and we (my girlfriend, my best friend and his girl) didn't get to see a big concert like that until that day. We got hold of some tickets and went to Leiden. When the bus arrived in Leiden the doors were just opening, so I fogot all about my spare ticket. We rushed in and got right at the front of the stage. My girlfriend and myself went a little dizzy when after standing staight up and waiting for one and a half hours for the support-act. Like hundred guys were pushing us against the fences in front of the stage. We got out the crowd and found a better place just behind the jumping and pushing people (approx. 10 meters from the front).

I have a good memory of details, in contrary to my friend, so when we talk about the concert I can recall a lot. This was almost 17 years ago . After seen so much of Queen material during the later years and having no-one to confirm things, I sometimes doubted the acurracy of my memories. But the bootleg recording is the proof for me!

The support-act was INXS. Never heard of... The whole crowd was singing "We want Queen" between their songs. At a moment Michael Hutchins got a banana thrown at his feet. After their last song Michael thanked the audience and went of stage... A very loud cheer from the Queen fans followed. This was the moment we were waiting for! Queen was coming! At least we thought... After standing on the concrete for another whole hour the lights faded. The lightingset was put in a low-height position, the stage was being filled with smoke, and everybody was singing the football-anthem thing: Ole - olehe - ole!!! etc.

Suddely the loud synth beginning of One Vision! We went mad at that point. Precizely after the smoke and the lights were high above the stage, Brian hits his first chords. Out of nowhere the band was there! I think I lost my voice in those first minutes.

As we can hear on the cd's, Freddie asked us:" What was it you were singing? That football song..." So we did it all over again, but twice as loud as before. "Add a beat to it..." Roger was trying to find the beat to it, Brian and John were looking for the chords. The Groenoordhallen in Leiden is indoors with lousy accoustics and the crowd was getting to enthousiastic so it didn't work. I also recall Freddie having a beer. He asked someone in the front: "Want to have a beer, my dear?" He did give it to that person. "Pass it around, there is enough for everyone!" he joked.

Since that day everytime I hear the beginning of One Vision I go back to 1986. At that time Friends Will Be Friends was in the dutch charts. It was never one of my fav.'s but it will remind me of the concert. The videoclip had a bit of the same atmoshere.

I did see Brian Solo twice (Rotterdam and Utrecht) later, it was excellent but did not have as much impact on me as the Queen concert did...

(this story is also on queenconcerts.com)

We must all see to believe...
Teo_torriate04 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 414 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 04, 04:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

25 years ago yesterday. Yes I was at the fabled Boxing Day 1979 gig at the Hammersmith Odeon. Also saw them a year later at Wembley arena. Can't wait 'til spring 2005. Bring it on !

To cast aside the fury of the battle.

To turn my weary eyes for home.
Megamike The GREAT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2264 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 04, 08:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was one of the fortunate to have see this great band live during their best.. I saw them in Detroit Michigan September 20th, 1980 and to help you out, here is the link to my account of the concert

http://www.queenconcerts.com/inc/stories/1980-09-20.php

Some have told me that it is the best story up there, Well.. I am not going to toot my own horn, so read it for yourselves. :)

My Brothers and Sisters all hated me 'cause I was an only child...

-Weird Al (Generic Blues)

I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird.
mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4631 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 04, 10:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saw them 3 times. The first was in Glasgow 1979 - the one where Roger forgot the words to IILWMYC, the second in Edinburgh 1982 and the final one at Knebworth 1986. And to answer you question, each time they were brilliant but for me personally the Knebworth concert was the jewel in the crown.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
skunkboy69 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 04, 11:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw them in 1986 in Newcastle.THE best bad I've seen live and I've seen quite a few.I agree that lota of people would love to see them on a new tour.Maybe I would have too if john had been involved.It@s not queen,I'm not going.

moonie user not visiting Queenzone.com
moonie
Bohemian: 389 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 04, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi, hope everones had a good un and your not too hungover (I know I am!)
I saw Queen 3 times, the NEC on The Works Tour(I was 13) and Newcastle and Knebworth on The Magic Tour

Anyone at Newcastle remember that dodgy German heavy metal band Zeno? Christ they made Bad News sound like Led Zepplin!

Janet user not visiting Queenzone.com
Janet
Deity: 3937 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 04, 11:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I did. And he was amazing.

-If you want the best seat in the house, you have to move the cat.

mickyparise user not visiting Queenzone.com
mickyparise
Bohemian: 787 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 04, 13:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I seen Queen twice, 1980- The Game tour and 1982- Hot Space tour,in Cleveland, Ohio and I was never so amazed at the magnitude of seeing Queen live. Freddie both times was just simply amazing, he captured the crowd, and u felt like part of him giving it his all. And the 1982 tour, Billy Squier, opened up for Queen and the press was saying Billy, who was at his prime, and who I like, would steal the show, but the day after! Queen was praised for such a remarkable concert and just blew away Billy Squier...and this was from USA Reporters which was more amazing, and the light show, especially on the Hot Space tour was like nothing I've ever seen. I had a chance to go to the 1977 show but got sick a couple of days before, Regret it now.......
But Queen live was just remarkable, and dvd's, cd's, videos, doesn't do them justice..........

Everyone have a GREAT NEW YEARS......
2005 is coming upon us!

R.I.P. PRINCESS

Living Life on Life's Terms
Melancholy Blues user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 205 posts

Posted: 28 Dec 04, 01:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

a friend of mine went to go see then when they toured australia in 1976. he said they were brilliant. he didn't think they would be able to recreate bohemian rhapsody on stage but they did and he said it was just as good as on the album. freddie was even wearing union jack hotpants!

I want to break free from your lies you're so self satisfied I don't need you
Bob The Shrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bob The Shrek
Deity: 4014 posts

Posted: 28 Dec 04, 05:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hyde Park '76, Rock for Kampuchea Hammersmith '79, Wembley Arena '80 and 3 nights in a row on the Works Tour Wembley Arena '84.

Cleveland May 24 to June 4th 2007 - I came, I saw, I fucked off home again.
Peta user not visiting Queenzone.com
Peta
Bohemian: 319 posts

Posted: 28 Dec 04, 06:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi all Queen fans,

I never saw Queen live too because I have been Queen fan since 1990 when I was 12 years old. What a pity! I read your articles and it is very interesting!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR

04.10.08 - Hannover, 05.10.08 - Hamburg, 28.10.08 Budapest, 31.10.08 Prague, 1.11.08 Wien
BrianRules user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 108 posts

Posted: 28 Dec 04, 07:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was fortunate enough to see Queen 12 times, and each one was better than the last. Freddie and Brian just blew me away with their showmanship and professionalism. Mickyparise, I see you're from Cleveland too. Did you catch the Brian May show at the Agora in '93?

every second word he swore,

yes, he was the son of a whore,

always wanted by the law!
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 28 Dec 04, 08:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

5 times
birmingham 24/11/79 - my first pay packet paid for the ticket
- milton keynes 5/6/82
birmingham 2/9/84
wembley (saturday) 86
and knebworth august 86 - their final gig

go deo na h√Čireann
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 28 Dec 04, 09:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Never. Was at the tribute though. Closest I ever got.

Chom own mudder fukker.
White or Black user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 28 Dec 04, 11:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

djaef wrote: I saw Queen 3 nights in a row, and awesome does not even come close to describing how they were. Freddie was a supernova on stage, he was simply a star.

Those three nights I'll never forget.

When and where was it?