Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > how did you get into queen?

forum rss feed
Author

bigc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 353 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Jan 05, 17:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know this could possibly be in the personal section..and Im 100% sure its been done before. But with new members joining all the time...I just thought it could be done at a more interesting slant.

I got into queen towards the tail end of 1999. There was a documentary on them on channel 4. I watched it and thought...jeez...they've done alot of songs I've heard played around various places. Then for christmas I got the 3 Greatest Hits, and a week later Innuendo. I was pretty satisified with that as a tally. my parents were both queen fans at various points. my mum once told me she had Jazz on vinyl, and my dad always points out how him and Freddie were born on the exact same day.My now sadly deceased grandad, had a copy of GH1 in his car. My half sister got to see them live, and because of connections she had, go to meet Freddie backstage...I think she was awestuck, he said "Hello Darling" though.

when I first got into queen, I was in yr7 of high school(11-12 age group), and I got alot of stick. at this age the average fellow classmates musical taste was about as original as any of the UK top 10 singles chart, so they couldnt understand why. Then in yr9, when one person attempted to out me as gay, listening to queen was one of the pieces of evidence used against me...ffs.lol.

Queen music inspires me, it inspires me every single day.

I own

GH1,2,3. Hot Space, A Kind Of Magic,The Miracle,Innuendo, and Made in Heaven.

I love loads of other artists, such as Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne,Grandmaster Flash,New Order, Prince etc. But if I listen to a queen album, then one of their albums...they just seem so inferior. Take Greatest Hits 2 for example...an album which takes it place in the rare category of Nah...I dont think I'll skip any track. Life encompassing a whole range of emotions, and Queen music represents that. You dont just want gritty downbeat depressing songs, but at the same time you dont always want upbeat happy songs. Just as sometimes you want a song which conveys the feeling of anonymity, mininalism, and peace, yet at the same time sometimes you want something which says, This is me, Look at me, I'm proud of who I am, and I want all the world to know that. With Queen, you get it all

sorry if people think this a crap post but I just thought I'd open up a bit.

i'd be interested if other people respond:)

DoctorNine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 213 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 05, 17:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry about your granddad.

I got into Queen through my mother and my cousin. My mother was a Queen fan for a long time (I have NO IDEA how long though), so I used to hear them all the time (and, really, I did like them and could recognize their songs), but when I went to my cousin's house for the first time, I must have been nine or ten, the only music he would play was Queen. Of course, after hearing them almost non-stop for four days kind of got me irritated, but I have been an even bigger fan since then. So thank him, he's the one that really got me into Queen. My sister and I think that his favorite song had to be either "Bicycle Race" or "Fat Bottomed Girls."

"What has it cost you? What have you won? The sins of the fathers are the sins of the sons; it was always within you, it will always continue, and it shouldn't surprise you at all." ~B. Joel
*Lisa* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 05, 06:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to thank my brother for me discovering Queen. I remember one Sunday my older brother suddenly came up with the idea of getting the Platinum Collection. Me, my older sister and my brother went on a site to hear some sound clips.

I don't think I recognized many of them, but we thought about getting it. Then one day, my Dad got it in a shop while we were in the dentists.

We played it when we got home, I thought it sounded really different to other stuff. I really liked all 3 of the Greatest Hits. But I think I like Greatest Hits 2 the most now.

Now I also have A Day at the races, News of the World, The Game, Hot Space, A Kind of Magic, The Miracle, Innuendo, Made In Heaven and Live at Wembly all on cd.
I also have some videos and DVDs.

*Lisa* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 05, 06:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For March of the Dirt Queen.

I don't like boy bands, but one of my friends likes Blue! I said to her that I think bands should write songs and play instruments, because it sort of shows that they are lazy and other people are making music for them!

bigc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 353 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 05, 06:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the_hero, I did the post because I figured alot of new people join all the time.

KillerQueen840 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4081 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 05, 07:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When I was little I grew up on listening to oldies (my mum has a huge collection of cds from various rock legends) like The Who, Meatloaf, Queen, The Beatles, The Monkees, Elton John, Reo Speedwagon, Styx, and much more. Then I just liked Queen the most and became addicted to them and started to collect their cds and do research on them.

"The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keep out the joy."

(Jim Rohn)
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 05, 07:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Joe Satriani worte: Apparantly by the time i was around the age of 1/2 a year i knew how to work the video player and played the videos over and over again. I was born in may 1990 and have probably liked Queen since around July 1990. I can actually remember back to that age sitting down watching Your My Best Friend video and thinking they were all girls! By the time i was 3 i knew they wern't though.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
amazing stuff Stephen!!! you should be some kinda child genius see: http://www.yourbabytoday.com/babyplace/newbaby/newbaby_pediatrics/ped_babydev.html

1. By 3 months, a baby who's placed on her stomach will be able to lift his head and chest up
2.Between 5 to 7 months she'll start sitting on her own, which eventually leads to crawling.
3. A 9 month-old also plays more actively with toys, exploring them less with the mouth, and more with the hands.
so, you knew how to work the video player at an age when most babies couldn't even crawl?
and at two months old (3 months before the human body can possibly develop enough muscle power) you were sitting up watching Tv?....and at the same time you have enough cognotive powers to actually think "they were girls" ???

do me a favour.....pulllease

go deo na hÉireann
yellownymph user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 41 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 05, 08:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I bought my dad Greatest Flix on VHS at the end of 2002. I'd always beeen aware of the most popular songs but the video got me hooked and almost instantly Freddie was my hero. About the same time I was doing A level PE and had to make up a dance. My PE teacher was a huge QUeen fan so I thought it could improve my chances by using a Queen song, so I used The Invisible Man (bad choice I know) but it was cool to dance to. My obsession grew and grew, Ive got all the albums on CD except for any live ones and Flash Gordon, but which one should I buy next?

rachael mae. user not visiting Queenzone.com
i am lush
rachael mae.
Royalty: 1489 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 05, 09:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always liked BoRhap but I always thought that was the only song they did. So I knew that I had to find out some more stuff about them and their music so I borrowed (and still haven't returned) my dad's Platinum Collection.. that was only 2 months ago but I'm hooked.

brENsKi

Posted: 03 Jan 05, 09:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

stephen wrote:
remember by the age of around 6 months i knew the rewind and play button on the recorder and by about 2 months i liked Queen and kept watching the videos. Whether i was sitting up whilst watching them or lying forward watching them i don't know.
++++++++++++++++++
quite frankly - you're wasted fella!!!
you should be working high up in AIDS research, or better still, why don't you bestow on mankind your cure for the common cold? boy-genius!!!

go deo na hÉireann
Daveboy35 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 619 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 05, 10:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I got into queen by my dad when i was about 3 years old one of my first memories was listening to bo rhap my dad used to play it and that was in 1978 so you can guess how old i am, also my uncle had a few queen albums anato,notw,jazz and a few singles and i just grew up being influenced by my family.I've been a fan for at least 22 years and through the years got all the albums and singles and books and been totally convinced this band are UNIQUE and A ONE OFF never will there be another queen. QUEEN FOREVER.

Yes we'll keep on tryin

we'll tread that fine line

oh oh we'll keep on tryin

till the end of time

till the end of time.

love of my life 14018 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 123 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 05, 10:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My parents listen to a lot of classic rock, well, my mom loves the Moody Blues, and my dad listens to Eric Clapton, Bruce Springsteen, Cat Stevens, James Taylor, ELO, Jimmy Biffet, just about anything you could think of, really. Well, except for Queen, he thinks homosexuality should be a crime punishable by torture and eventual death. So I pretty much discovered Queen on my own. The radio stations my parents listen to played WWRY, WATC, Killer Queen, and Bo Rhap a lot. I remember listening to Bohemian Rhapsody when I was about 3, of course I didn't know it was Bo Rhap, but I always really loved the ballad part. I always thought that the opera bit was a bunch of girls singing, it actually never occured to me that both parts are in the same song. I was a massive Beatles fan when I started to like Queen, I just felt random and picked up ANATO in the record store one day and fell in love. I'm so sentimental, LOL!

"Roger and I go poncing and ultrablagging just about everywhere and lately we've been termed a couple of queens."
good old fashioned lovergirl user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 37 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 05, 10:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

all my life...well i didnt have a choice really, my mum was a queen fan frm the start, my earliest memories of listening to queen...in my backgarden playing with my sister tie your mother down blaring from the kitchen window where my mum was doing her housewifely chores...me, big bro,lil sis and mum cuddled up on our cracked old leather sofa watching queen concert videos on the beetamax (is that how u spell it?)

'when i'm dead, who cares? i don't!' FM
Save me user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 47 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 05, 11:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i got into queen when i was about 7, i saw the Wembley concert on tv in '86, didnt really know who they were at the time but i knew i liked the music, then in about 1990 i started to buy records and stuff, and i really got into them, then of course in 1991, freddie was gone, which was devestating, and since then i've been a big fan, got a few of their albums News of the World, A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races, Sheer Heart Attack, Hot Space, A Kind Of Magic, Innuendo, and Greatest Hits I, II, and III, and the DVD's of course, i love them, Queen Rock!!

im just a musical prostitute my dears..........
brENsKi

Posted: 03 Jan 05, 11:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

read what you said again Stephen:
"remember by the age of around 6 months i knew the rewind and play button on the recorder and by about 2 months i liked Queen and kept watching the videos. Whether i was sitting up whilst watching them or lying forward watching them i don't know."

WELL YOU were obviously incredibly advanced for your age!!! what went wrong? are you telling us that after that extremely intelligent start to life you wasted your talent? ...and you're not working in research or medicine? what happened to you? operating vcrs at 6mths, and at 2mths you knew you liked queen...most abbies can only focus 4-6 feet at 2 mths and even then for only a few seconds at a time...amazing

go deo na hÉireann
brENsKi

Posted: 03 Jan 05, 12:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you haven't upset me - believe me!!!!
i just think it's either

a. downright funny
b. downright sad
c. downright incredible - but mainly
d. downright unbelievable

to make such claims
...and each of your subsequent posts seems to backtrack a little....look there's no need to make outlandish claims - they don't impress anyone

read the science websites - you couldn't have been operating a vcr at six months...and you clearly did not know you liked queen at 2 months, and certainly did not think they were girls from 6 months to 2 years old - but hey - when should we let science get in the way of a good story - have it your way mate....boy genius - Mr & Mrs Satriani must be very proud - split any atoms lately???

go deo na hÉireann
boy of destiny user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 214 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 05, 13:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen was the first band I really listened to as a little kid. I liked Kiss when I was in grade one, but that's because they looked liked superheroes, but Killer Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody, WWRY/WATC, Fat Bottomed Girls and Crazy Little Thing Called Love really stood out
musically.

The first concert I ever wanted to go to was the Hot Space Tour (unfortunately it was the last
time they toured Canada and I didn't have any older brothers to take me).

As I got into prog rock bands like Genesis, I kind of forgot about Queen until Freddie's performance at Live Aid brought me back in a big way. The Queen catalog was difficult to find, so I taped the albums of friends' older brothers and later ordered CD's from England. I have an album cover hanging in my office that Brian May autographed for me when I met him at a Toronto HMV. I was definitely the only Queen fan in my high school.

I'm 35 now and I still listen to Queen all the time. My 3 year-old daughter's favorite song is WWRY. I'm so proud!

I recently produced and published my own children's picture book and in the credits I thanked Brian May and Queen. A couple of months after it's release I emailed Brian to send him a copy as a thank you. He replied the very next day.

don't_stop_me_now 9697 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 147 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 05, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In 2002, I decided to buy the US released Classic Queen album.
And then there was no turning back...

Zander05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zander05
Bohemian: 860 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 05, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've always heard bits and pieces of Queen while growing up, but I think I could call myself a fan at the age of 8 when I got a tape player for Christmas. With it came my uncle's copy of Greatest Hits (the American one with Keep Yourself Alive on it). I mastered Bohemian Rhapsody at the age of 9... and then my tape got eaten and my dad insisted I throw it away :-( But for my 10th birthday, my friend Jenni bought me Classic Queen and News Of The World. Since then, I have been a collector. I now own all their albums, am currently working on new releases and imports, and I am proud to say that at the age of 12, I stood within five feet of Brian May (he was on his way home from siging autographs - I got two REALLY good pictures but my dad threw them out *the bastard*). My uncle, being the cool guy he is, also made me picture frames (4 that look like the front cover of Hot Space, and one bigger one of Freddie). I'll post pictures on my site, so stay tuned to that.

bad tempored blondie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 05, 14:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well it all started when my year 6 class where on a trip to france(last year) evry night me and holly would sind to annoy the teachers so one night se tought me bicycle race and when we got home to england my dad played it to me and gave me hits 1 and it carried on from there