Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > Taping

forum rss feed
Author

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Jan 05, 18:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nowadays, it should be fairly easy - miniature mics of decent quality, HDD recorders, video cameras small enough to fit in the pocket.

If there are any dates you can't get of the next tour, I'll be a little surprised.

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 05, 20:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Far too easy to do bootlegging these days! I've been using a portable minidisc recorder along with a tie-clip mic from the local electronics store (Maplin) and that's it!

Just check your levels and you'll be laughing. And yes, tie-clip mics have astonished me with their clarity and amazing low-end. Seriously, check them out.

Peace,
Adam.

riku_queencdr user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 05, 02:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I use Kenwood MiniDisc (bought in 1999) and a Sony stereo mic with a clip-on, just like Adam. It costed 105 EUR back in 2002 and the sound it produces is excellent. Of course Shoeps etc are even better mics but I really don't have extra 1000 EUR to spend on that kind of recording equipment....
MiniDisc records in a slight lossy format (it's NOT mp3 but ATRAC coding which is far better IMHO) so in case you want totally lossless recordings, use a DAT recorder.
Remember to test everything couple of times before you record something you REALLY want to record. Most likely the first or second test shows that you were doing something wrong and after that you know how to fix that.
Set the levels (the best is the type of recorder which allows you to set the recording level while recording) and make sure you have enough blank discs and an extra battery on you. Always use a brand new battery for each recording. It should last at least 3-4 hours so you don't have to change it while recording. I always check my watch when I start the recording and see when I should be changing the disc (either after 74 or 80 minutes). This way I don't have to take out the recorder from my pocket several times to see how much time is left to record.
Those MDs with LP and EP features; if you use LP or EP, the quality of the recording is worse than with SP as then the audio is packed more (more lossy).
I don't have any experience regarding video recording as I don't want to risk my video camera. It is too big to hide in my underwear when I go in :)))

sexmachine user not visiting Queenzone.com
ready to reload
sexmachine
Bohemian: 466 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 05, 15:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Picture yourself in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
ready to reload
sexmachine

Posted: 04 Jan 05, 15:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

there is a new technology called high- minidisk(i think) and you can record looseless with it.it is allready cheaper than DAT.

more important than the medium is the kind of microfone you use.one sort of mics which are famous for bootlegin are the "OKM series": http://www.soundman.de/

and another(i think better) is the" Core SOund Cardiod Microphone"
http://www.core-sound.com/cardioid.html

be careful bootlegging is addictive!!

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 04 Jan 05, 21:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm planning on getting a Hi-MD recorder/player. A little while back, someone broke the code to upload PCM recordings to the PC! So, I'm definitely giving it the thumbs up for that.

After the quality results I can get from a normal minidisc, Hi-minidisc seems even sweeter!

Peace,
Adam.

Posted: 05 Jan 05, 03:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anyone know any links to Hi-MD players/recorders?
That kind of lossless recording feature sounds very interesting.

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 14 Jan 05, 10:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 14 Jan 05, 12:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.minidisct.com/forum/index.php - Good link to a forum.

http://minidisc.amulation.com/index.html - General info. + Some reviews

http://minidisc.ch/ - Nice info on Minidisc

Peace,
Adam.

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 14 Jan 05, 17:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What I need is a reasonably priced (and ahem....very discreet) stereo mic.

Anyone?

[ Wybren™ ] user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 05, 06:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So the best recorder is an Hi-MD player/recorder? There's a big difference with the old MD players?

Which brand is the best?

What are the best discs to get (1GB sony discs)?

What's the best mic? (sony ecm-ms907 or are there any better types)

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=455159

Thanx!

[ Ahoy' Rotterdam, April 26th ]|[ Rhein Energie Stadion Köln, Juli 6th ]|[ Gelredome Arnhem, July 10th ]
ready to reload
sexmachine

Posted: 30 Apr 05, 09:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

taylorgaga (Begg) wrote:

most mp3 players these days come with built in voice recorders too which can record upto 5 hours and are fairly cheap, they can also have pretty good quality!

i doubt this.

i used some binaural mics for my recordings with excellent results.

[ Wybren™ ] user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 05, 11:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

knebworth wrote:

For your MD player?

[ Ahoy' Rotterdam, April 26th ]|[ Rhein Energie Stadion Köln, Juli 6th ]|[ Gelredome Arnhem, July 10th ]
Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1418 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 05, 12:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always use a Sony MD Walkman MZ-NHF800 Hi-MD recorder along with two stereo Sony electret condenser microphones: a ECM-CS10 and a ECM-MS907. The first is almost unnoticeable, while the second is bigger and need an AA battery. This hardware is really good - such a pity that Sony software is crap!

The only advice I can give you is to set the recording ambience mode to "noisy" and/or to lower the microphone sensitivity as to avoid saturation by the roaring crowd.

ready to reload
sexmachine

Posted: 30 Apr 05, 20:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

[ Wybren™ ] wrote:

knebworth wrote:

For your MD player?

yes!?!

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 01 May 05, 21:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

[ Wybren™ ] wrote:

So the best recorder is an Hi-MD player/recorder? There's a big difference with the old MD players?

Which brand is the best?

What are the best discs to get (1GB sony discs)?

What's the best mic? (sony ecm-ms907 or are there any better types)

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=455159

Thanx!

I did actually make a reply, but I guess Richard's mishap affected my post. I'll TRY and post what I'd said.

That thread you mention above has a lot of what I advised, already. But I can mention some new things for your above questions.

Hi-MD is a great new format that records PCM (uncompressed) audio and lets you upload it to your pc for editing, etc. Very nice bit of kit. The old MD player/recorders are compressed atrac formats that you CAN'T upload without a bit of 3000 quid equipment! And hey, the Hi-MD can still record the same old MD format! But I'm not sure you can upload 'that' type.
I think the Sony 1GB discs are all they have on offer. As for brands... aren't the new Hi-MD's all Sony models? I hear the NH900 is the best.

The Sony ecm-ms907 mic is merely ok. I'm sure you looked at the comparison site I had posted in that above thread. And considering my cheap tie-clip mics sounds much, much better, I wouldn't bother with it. Far too expensive for something so simple and not that great. If you want, I can post an example of my cheap tie-clip microphones for you to hear. I'm sure it'll surprise... :)

Peace,
Adam.

Posted: 02 May 05, 02:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam, do you know if Sony MZ-NH900's input volume can be adjusted while recording? On my Kenwood MD you can do this and it's a brilliant feature. I did check some reviews of MZ-NH900 but none of them mentioned if this feature is included..

(Edit)

Please check this link: http://www.jazz-sax.com/article.pl?sid=04/08/24/0614214&tid=91
Looks like you will have troubles burning/editing the audio once you have copied it to PC. I also found few sites saying that it DOESN'T have manual volume adjustment. If someone has more info, please let us know. Thanks!

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 02 May 05, 18:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You must have missed my post from a while back that mentioned the uploading thing having been cracked by a guy called Marc - http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=6087

But, I think someone at Sony must've realised they should really activate the uploading thing properly and made it possible to convert to wav. Though, I haven't read about it for a while, so maybe that's not the best util. It may still be the one in the above link.

On the volume adjust thing, I really don't know. I haven't invested in one. But check that forum above and see. I'm sure someone did some comparisons and got some answers for what they needed.

Peace,
Adam.

Posted: 03 May 05, 02:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, I must have missed this link you sent earlier!
I searched the forum and looks as you can manually adjust the recording level BUT you have to do it before the concert starts. You can't adjust it while recording, which leads you to simply guess how loud it will be. Not an easy task..
Another drawback; when you stop the recording, the player goes automatically back to the automatic level adjustment?!?! This is not a good thing, as when you change the MD (1GB disc records up to 94 minutes of lossless audio), you must go back to the main menu and do all the manual adjustments again. This wouldn't be a problem otherwise but in the middle of the show, in the darkness, in a hurry to get the recorder back on, it will be a quite hassle.
On my Kenwood MD you can adjust the volume while recording and it really is a brilliant feature. Hopefully Sony will someday include this as well.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 03 May 05, 09:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, sounds like a bit of hassle. But it's not hard to set correct levels before a concert. It's quite easy, for me at least, to guess as I've recorded concerts on the minidisc before. That, and I also have something called a juice booster that allows me to rarely clip/distort my recording. It's not impossible, but it helps make it less of a worry.

But yes, Sony need to get with it on that recording level thing. My Sharp MD allows me the same freedom as yours and it's a damn good thing. Menus... *Sigh*

Peace,
Adam.