Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > For Queen fan Club members only!

forum rss feed
Author

cliffhowell user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 57 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jan 05, 17:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As a QFC member for almost 20 years I am totally peeved (& that's the worst language I'm prepared to use in public) at the way this lottery for the Brixton show is being carried out. Basically it means a QOL so called "member" of perhaps only a few weeks has as much chance of getting a ticket as really long standing QFC members. It stinks.

I've been trying to work out the probability of getting a ticket but there are too many figures I don't know, such as how many QFC members are there (I've heard maybe only 5000 these days with a lot outside the UK), how many QOL "members" & the capacity of Brixton (I think 5000ish). Also you need to know the likely level of interest (based on the convention interest generally and adding a bit I'd say maybe a third would / could go to the gig). Allowing for the fact you can buy 2 tickets each I reckon we, as QFC members, have about a 75% chance of getting a ticket.

Lets gets discussing this and updating this %age probability if we can firm up the figures and estimates a bit more.

It's all a bit of clever marketing / advertising I think from QPL. They are stirring up all this interest (Brixton, Paris, barcelona, madrid, etc) and really uping the word of mouth out there.

I know we are all being used and made to pay a high price for these tickets but hopefully it will only be the real true fans who get to this gig as I can't see anyone other than a real true fan paying £60ish for this gig.

Comments and more information please.

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 07 Jan 05, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

=edited=

My apologies... edited because of maybe too harsh responce in the heat of my disappointment...

cliffhowell user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 57 posts

Posted: 07 Jan 05, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jeroen, if you take that attitude then it should just go on general sale as there are probably 1000's of real fans out there who are not as sad as us lot spending our Friday nights chatting on forums who will all be pretty peeved when the public announcement is made and already the best seats / places are sold out.

The fan club was the original "forum" before all this internet stuff. To me this Brixton show should be fan club members only (not QOL)with priority given for loyalty. OK do another for QOL members only but this one should be a way of finally rewarding QFC members.

Oh, and I really hope (although it is a long shot) that they decide to play at the convention - QFC members only there mate & I've booked already.

wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 07 Jan 05, 21:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The fan club was the original "forum" before all this internet stuff. To me this Brixton show should be fan club members only (not QOL)with priority given for loyalty. OK do another for QOL members only but this one should be a way of finally rewarding QFC members

Pretty sure QTC fans got rewarded very handsomly in the 80's, video shoots what-not.
now QOL will have the same importance as QTC, as the internet being the newage was to be with fans, of course they are gonna use a base from that section of their fan base.

MY GOD spell it write.
Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 08:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fanclub members only... loyalty... so I (being a very loyal Queen fan but NOT in the fan club) should have less rights than somebody who's loyal to the fan club (and probably doesn't care about Queen these days anyway)? I get your point but it's not black & white. You will never know if the "loyal" fans are in the fan club, on QueenOnline or in neither of these organizations. Wasting your money in the fan club doesn't make you a more loyal fan - on the other hand, I understand that for the money you expect something more, that's normal.

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure you'll still get your tickets. For this price it can't sell out in the "lottery".

Megamike The GREAT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2264 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I am a Lifetime member of the Fan Club, Does that show MY loyality? :)

My Brothers and Sisters all hated me 'cause I was an only child...

-Weird Al (Generic Blues)

I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird.
deakys ghost user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I aggree 100% with cliff, the Brixton show should have been Fan Club members only. I too have been a fan for over 20 years and am annoyed that some edjit who has logged onto QOL at the start of December may get a ticket, it makes a mockery of paying a subscription over the years to the club. I hope that only a very small percentage goes to the internet users and the core support in the FC get a fair deal!!

deakys ghost user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 05, 09:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Those of us in the fan club for many years have supported the band through good times and bad, even when nothing was happening. The fact that a "travelling" supporter (jumps on the bandwagon when something big happens) can log on at the start of December and maybe get a ticket for Brixton is annoying. For those of us who have been fc members for 10 years plus and paid subscriptions means that this has been worthless, register online a couple of weeks ago and get the same benefit but I suppose that's the modern world!

Posted: 09 Jan 05, 10:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Being a fan club member is not supporting the band; it's only giving a job to two ladies. Queen really needed the fan club members only for the video shoots - and being in a Queen video is a great reward for any Queen fan. So don't put it like Queen owe you anything just because you're in the fan club.

englishyob user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 526 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 05, 12:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This place is starting to sound like a fucking junior school playground, it does matter it you a QFC or QOL member what matter is that Queen + Paul Rogers are going to be touring we all should be grateful they are.

I was once a member of the QFC but couldn’t afforded it and it wasn’t that rewarding so I just stuck to buying Queen + Solo stuff instead the way a fan does. Been a member of the QFC does not give you automatic privileges over anything the band does so that means concert tickets.

The QFC is just the fan club the QOL is the bands website, which is open up to member to subscribe for newsletter concert tickets, etc etc so consider yourself lucky they didn’t just sat the Brixton gig was for QOL members only

Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 05, 14:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was in the fan club for 10 years - then left cos its shit! So i entered the lottery. Big Deal.

Chom own mudder fukker.
jericho05 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 677 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 05, 18:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've never been in the fan club but nevertheless spent my first dollars on Queen back in 1978. Since then I've purchased all the studio albums on vinyl, casette and CD (not to mention all the DVDs)as well as spending hundreds of dollars to see the band live and Brian solo a couple of times. Does that make myself or those like me less deserving of a shot at a ticket or mean we are not supportive of the band? Give it a rest! That said I am not a member of QOL either (IMO it's shit) and am not entered in the lottery.

I do hope you get your ticket of course but in reality nobody should be eliminated from contention. A case could be made that a block of tickets be available for Queenzoners! Yes that includes all the "newbies" and anyone that considers themselves a fan. I am grateful that the first band I truly loved is being discovered by others. The lottery should be available to whoever wants in.

Shake it Sugaree
Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 05, 07:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It all just further illustrates the fact that QPL cares not a jot about what they are doing.

Benn
eggy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3358 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 05, 08:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Basically I and most general people will join a fan club when they get something out of it.
For the past few years as a member of the qfc you would have had four magazines a year filled with crap about we will rock you. I have no interest in that whatsoever.

I would join if i got good tickets out of it, and maybe some exclusive material too.
I wouldn't spend even as little as £15 when i get nothing out of it. Hence Queen have missed a chance of people joing the club here.
I was a member back in 2001 for the Freddie Tribute, but knew nothing like that was likely recently.

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 05, 09:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To be fair: this is not the fault of the fan club. I am sure Jacky is just as gutted about the whole ticket issue as you, maybe even more because this can well be the end of the fan club. From the FC website you can see that priority tickets for other concerts will also be available via QOL. It's a rare display of ingratitude on the side of QP towards a loyal person who kept the fan base together for so many years, no matter what you personally think about the fan club.

I do not want any google ads here.

Posted: 10 Jan 05, 10:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's the fault of the fan club if they associate themselves with it. Sounds to me like a ploy to generate increased membership in the hope that people think "God, if I join now, maybe I'll be in with a shot for another show like this one".

We all know that mmbership numbers have been falling for the last 10 years and that there is only a certain time left during which people will pay for a t-shirt selling service. Still, so long as enough people are members to pay for Jacky's holiday to Spain every year, all's well.....

Benn

Posted: 10 Jan 05, 10:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't blame the fan club either (I mean I do blame them all the time but not today :-) This looks like a QP/QOL marketing strategy which was obviously a big mistake.

eggy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3358 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 05, 12:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've nothing bad to say against the club, it was in an impossible position for years, maybe if the band starts up again it will be okay.
I think QP have done what they thought would be good, but is totally flawed.

Posted: 10 Jan 05, 12:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Eggy,

Why was their position impossible?

1 - they were the first people to announce the box sets as being set for release.
2 - they were the people that PROMISED the broadcasting of a 6-part radio series that failed to materialise.
3 - they were the prople that CONSISTENTLY asked for suggestions as to how to improve the club and failed to do anything about any of them
4 - they have agreed that the OIQFC database can be used for this ballott - allowing people's personal details to be used before even ASKING.

Jacky's just a fan that has managed to keep her position in the organisation (such as it is) which allows her the access she craves - good luck to her.

Benn
Deacons 1st Choice user not visiting Queenzone.com
Deacons 1st Choice
Bohemian: 603 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 05, 12:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with the Valentines's point about the FC not being at fault. Jacky was kept in the dark about this whole just as much as we were. Remember folks, the FC is NO LONGER personally involved with QP as it ONCE was. It's a damn shame, but it's reality which is too bad in a situation like this where the the Club can really use that connection right about now.

I am sure Jacky is just as pissed about this whole fiasco as we are...she is plainly in the same boat as we are.

In regards to the Club, they do the best they can with what little they have left now and you have to appreciate that on some level. True, the past few years have not been good to the Club and after this Tour i don't see how it can go on much longer. All we seem to have here is a place to send money just to insure we have the "privilidge" of attending a Convention every year and that's it really. A real shame, as things were exciting and fun in the past. When the Band had any kind of event at all, you were pretty much quarenteed a good shot at some nice tickets.

Now things seem to have dried up, but when you think of it, Queen has in itself until very recently. WWRY definately revived them, no doubt at all about that in my mind. WWRY is directly responsible for motivating Brian and Roger to get up off their rears and perform live again together. This in itself should be hailed as momentous, regardless of who is singing lead.

Queen are BACK in a glimmer....let's hope it lasts.

And let's hope the FC lasts too.