Forums > Personal > Don't Let Queenzone Die

forum rss feed
Author

-fatty- 2850 user not visiting Queenzone.com
-fatty- 2850
Deity: 2029 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 12:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's fair to say that Queenzone is on it's last legs. In fact, if Queenzone were a horse then it would be making it's final journey to the glue factory by now.
The saddest thing is that it's not old age that's fucking up Queenzone. It's the abuse that it has suffered over the past few months that will eventually kill it. I'm no doctor but I can think of a few things that might get the old girl up and running again. Before I go any further I would like to make it perfectly clear that these are just a few ideas that might help halt the decline of Queenzone. These are not demands and I'm not threatening to leave if things don't go my way. In fact I'd be thrilled if someone disagreed with what I'm saying and offered another soloution. That at least would be a step in the right direction.

First of all we need a seperate forum for Charles Webster Baer. I don't want to see him banned as there are a few folk out there who seem to enjoy his posts, but I can't see the point of him starting three or four new threads every day when all he writes is "Ah Yeah", "Get it On" or "Global Internet Goverment". Maybe I'm being thick but I just don't get the joke anymore. Come to think of it, I never got it. By all means allow him to post thread after thread of vaginas, poo poos and weenis's but why not stick them all together in one forum and let those take comfort in his wise words visit it as often as they like. Of course Mr Baer cannot be expected to follow this simple premise and would then go out of his way to post his pish in the wrong section. That brings me to my second point.

Mods. I realise that I am going back on everything I have ever said about mods but we really do need one at the moment. I don't mean a mods like they have on QOL. An elite band of snobs who feel they have the right to censor and delete people's posts just because they don't like what they say. Just one person who could filter out some of the banal shite that crops up every day. Someone who can move Charles Baer's request for his anus to be squeezed into the vagina of a giant weenis into it's own forum. Or some sad bastard who starts a thread at 3am stating that he or she is bored. This probably needs a bit of discussion as to what constitutes a useless thread but if we keep going the way we are going this board will die.
Of course the hands will be shooting up all over Queenzone as to who should serve as mod. but there is one among us who already has this power.
Your Valentine has the abilty to delete and move threads at the moment yet never does so. This alone goes to show that she is the right person for the job. Of course Barbera might not want the job so you might want to nominate someone else. Again this is something to discuss.

Finally, as I have said in the past it's time to do away with post counts. There's no point in having a post count of 10,000 when it's perfectly clear that you have fuck all to say.

So that's my tuppence worth. There are a few other things I'd like to change such as getting rid off scrolling text, different coloured fonts and constant user name changes but hopefully someone else will bring these up. The important thing to do is discuss things, come up with a few ideas of your own, even if they do sound stupid.

everybody's pal fatty.

-fatty- 2850

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 12:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And before I forget, this is one of the 0.01% times that I am being serious.

fatty.

David Jones user not visiting Queenzone.com
David Jones
Deity: 2469 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I totally agree with you...

"Freddie would have loved it" - Brian May
DeaconJohn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 253 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 13:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good points from fatty.

Queenzone has needed some form of moderation for a long time. However the sad fact is that the wonderful chaps that posted here in the days when queenzone was great either have moved on and don't post at all, or very rarley post.

Instead we have topics discussing the size of Freddie's cock, with details of what videos to watch to see a clear outline of it.

And the thing about charles baer is that he STILL gets responses for posting the same old shite. Queenzone deserves charles baer, as not only does it not ban him, it encourages him.

The one and only DeaconJohn - As seen on page 81 of the Q Magazine Queen special.
Hank H. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 738 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For me, it never was a problem not to read posts that obviously are useless, or by people I don't like, people I know posting shit. I only read topics by people I know or after they have more than, say, 20 or 30 replies, and therefore seem to be of interest. Of course there are more people than a few months/years ago posting only crap, and less people posting funny or interesting topics, but then again, about Queen, most things have been said, explained, discussed long ago. It's normal. Your suggestions wouldn't change much. If you ask me, only very few people, who left, made all the difference when they posted, the number of spammers doesn't matter. If there were two hundred people spamming the board and ten people still posting nice things, I'd simply only read the posts by those ten.

"I'm a great believer in actually NOT giving people what they want"

Brian May, 11 March 05
Mr Coolest Cat user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr Coolest Cat
Bohemian: 908 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thats a good post Fatty, the sad thing is it will probably be ignored by those it was intended for.

There must be more to life than this.
geeksandgeeks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4296 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 13:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Coolest Cat wrote:

Thats a good post Fatty, the sad thing is it will probably be ignored by those it was intended for.

Couldn't have said it better - those of us who agree with fatty have been saying so, often at the tops of their lungs, for close to a year.

God wants you to send me some money.

"Seven spades doubled, vulnerable, making seven? You BITCH."
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 13:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with most of what Fatty offers. Perhaps a new forum, primarily for "useless topics," could be created to drain off a lot of what the personal section puts up with, ie Baer threads and those threads that devolve into conversation among a select group of 14 year olds.

Like him, I hate the idea of having mods around here, especially in the QOL mode, but adding one or two might help keep this place tidy for other users. I imagine the bulk of their duty would be moving and organizing theads, and I don't think much deletion would occur (save for a few former users who live to disrupt). Moving threads into the proper forums would cut down on all those "civic minded" QZers who like to tell new users "This belongs in the Personal Section." My only suggestion is that Richard and YV select any additional mods on their own without public input. Opening this up to any public discussion will only create problems and unfair expectations. I think keeping Mods in the background and secondary is best for QZ.

As for cosmetic changes, there are a few that would be nice, but mostly we should learn to ignore them. Removing post counts is a good idea, particularly as they only appeal to the underage population on QZ. Name changers only bother me when they are trying to hide who they really are. Colored or scrolling names tell me who is more interested in style over substance and are a pretty good indicator of whom to ignore. As long as html is absent from the text of the thread, I don't mind this too much, though some users complain that it slows the board down. I haven't noticed on my end.

I think some adjustments would help QZ right now, especially as we can expect an influx of new users with the tour approaching, but I caution against clamping down too much. QZ has survived on its simplicity so far, and subtle additions are more important than drastic changes.

DJ's the man we love the most
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What kind of moderation do you want? Moving around topics from one place to another? You cannot seriously want that. Crap is crap no matter in which section.

Charles Wizzler is not Charles Baer. Charles Baer is banned from this forum and I delete his newly created accounts about 3 tímes a week. I agree that Charles wizzler is not the problem. Maybe he can add a bit to improving the board by showing a bit more fantasy with his topic titles.

Queenzone always had trolls and nutcakes but there was a time when the regular users ganged up on them and they either fitted in or left the board. The problem now are a group of attention seeking spoiled kids who spam the board boosting their post counts not even realising that it's bad manners to abuse the forum for their pathetic attempts to look important. On the other hand, the regulars don't feel it's worth their time or effort to teach the new users some QZ netiquette. Instead they leave or want a moderator. This is a fan board - you cannot expect Richard to solve all problems - like when some users are annoyed by colours Richard has to programme filters etc.

It's true that I can delete threads and user accounts and Richard has told me on many occasions that he trusts my judgement because he knows I don't have my fingers on the delete button all the time and I heartily agree with his view that this board should maintain the freedom of speech. You have no idea how fed up I am sometimes about this board being misused by all these bored kids but I cannot and will not make my own taste the measure of all things (and I would not want someone else do it)

I can ask Richard to return to the good old Champion/Royalty names to put an end to people posting useless crap only to obtain a higher post count. I can also delete the most crappy threads if this is what you want but I cannot save the forum without the help of the users who care.

The saddest part about all this is that Richard has done so much in the recent months to improve the website and the forum with all the new features and services that it's a real shame that the forum is in such a state when it could still be the best on the net.

Edit: it took me ages to write this up, so I did not see Zeni's post. I agree with most of what you say except for the moderator part. I am still very much in favour of an unmoderated forum - after all it's just a notice board and the QOL moderation where threads are "quarantined" before some higher powers decide, is just an awful example for how this can get out of control. If we have mods, we will have threads about moderation, discussion about fairness an favouritism etc etc - it would not be Queenzone anymore.

I do not want any google ads here.

Bob The Shrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bob The Shrek
Deity: 4014 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only way to get rid of the shit is to make it 'pay per post' - that way, people will think before they post crap.

Cleveland May 24 to June 4th 2007 - I came, I saw, I fucked off home again.
-fatty- 2850

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 14:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice to see a bit of constructive input on the board for a change and thanks to all of those who have replied so far.

I too would like to see Queenzone remain unmoderated. The worst thing that could happen is for us to go down the same road as QOL where posts are deleted without explanation and mods seem to rule rather than serve the good of the board. Maybe a caretaker would be a better title for the job of someone who cleans up the 'I'm Bored', 'Who hates marmalade?' or 'Squeeze my clitoris' threads.
I agree with Barb in as much as crap is crap no matter which forum it is posted in, but if someone's posts of sheer banality keep getting swept into the sin bin they ought to realise that this isn't the place for them and they would be better off posting on Channel 4's Big Brother forum.

Anyway thanks again for the input and it would be nice to see this and discussions like it remain near the top of the bored.

fatty.

Bob The Shrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bob The Shrek
Deity: 4014 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 14:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The idea of deleting the 'poo, weenis' type threads is very valid. Instead of thinking of it as moderation, consider it as administrative tidying up - all these posts do is take up space and contribute nothing.

Cleveland May 24 to June 4th 2007 - I came, I saw, I fucked off home again.
KillerQueen840 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4081 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 14:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

With all honesty, I would like to know if am one of those "attention seeking spoiled kids. " After reading this it has finally sunk in..I am starting to question whether if I should stay and ruin these boards with pathetic posting or leave so it will be one less brat for everyone to deal with.

"The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keep out the joy."

(Jim Rohn)
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 15:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No any censorship, for God's sake!

If people want to say crap - they would say it, no matter of what we think about it.

There's no cure for such things - moderator would have his own tastes and points of view and would be able to delete what he/she just doesn't like. That's wrong.

Maybe we need more forums here, just like it was done with Paul/Tour case. And if guys would go on to post their thoughts about Paul on Queen forum you could remove it into special forum.

That's it.

pma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3462 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 15:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd gladly see the postcounts gone (and the REGISTRATION date returned in the postcounts place).

As to what I consider the biggest problem on queenzone? Well, after lack of phpbb ;-)
there's "postwhoring" and removing the postcount/status and OR starting a new "freezone" section (a section where posting doesn't increase your count) could solve a few problems.

But I guess I could always bugger off, three years as a poster is enough. :-P

"I think now I can make love to your anus without making God angry"

AC user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1838 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 15:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't like moderation as they do on QOL (where my posts are deleted without explanations). But I also find difficult and tiring to check the board to find maybe 10 interesting threads out of 100. If we could just move Charles Baer's threads into the Queenzone.com foum, that would really improve the readability and pleasantness of the board.

That time will come, one day you'll see that i'll be dead and you will laugh!
Ian R user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 827 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The solution is simple. Add a new forum - perhaps call it something innocuous like the "QueenZone Coffee Room" - and get the moderator to move all of the crap and mind-numbing threads into this section, leaving the cream of the discussions in the Personal section.

This is not censorship and leaves each individual poster's right to free speech intact. It will certainly make it easier for people to sort the Wheat from the Chaff, so to speak. If you should fancy wandering down to the Coffee Room to find out whose anus Charles Baer is sniffing today, then you can do so. However, no doubt the majority will avoid this proposed extra forum at all costs.

The only major decision to make would be to decide who should be moderator. If Barbara volunteers to take on the role in a more active capacity, there will be no arguments from me.

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You should stay, KillerQueen840. If you read all this without moving on to a "lighter" topic you are certainly not someone I have in mind. - Although you would not be any less respected if you remove the ugly green colour from your username :)

I do not want any google ads here.

jericho05 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 677 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 15:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've only been on this board for about six months. I was attracted by my love of Queen and with the hopes of meeting other like-minded people. I haven't been here long enough to see what the board was like before the influx of useless posts but can only imagine that it was probably what I'm looking for.
Fatty,Zeni,YV and a few others have made a lot of excellent points and I can only reiterate what they have said. I don't believe moderation is the answer and I hate to admit I have been drawn into the stupid threads (Baer,often HeM and Megamike) on more than one occasion. Maybe there should be a separate forum for Stupid Threads. Maybe there should be a caretaker who moves them from section to section. I really don't have the answer. I think the only way we can move forward is if those responsible for the state of the board grow up and learn some respect for it.
We should all be accountable for what we post. Let's look at ourselves and try to bring this board back from the brink.
Another excellent point that YV made: maybe we should be ganging up on the idiots to force them to leave or fit in.
I know I'm babbling and doubt I've added anything constructive but that's my two cents for now.

Rob

Shake it Sugaree
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 05, 16:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's too late. The lunatics have already taken over, and you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

The days of the board being self-moderated went when people started whinging about the treatment inane, repetitive and pointless topics got from the more long-term members. THis led to less abuse towards newbies, which led to more newbies posting shite unmolested, which then decreases the average intelligence of the board's content.

So, all the sanctimonious "lay off the new guys", IN MY VIEW has given you (the generalised population) THIS forum.

I think there may be a need for an invitation-only private forum. Unfortunately, most of the people who would enrich it have already given up and left, and half of the rest no longer have the energy to go to more forums.

So we're all doomed. Happy days...