Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Roger Taylors best songwriting on Innuendo?

forum rss feed
Author

My Best Friend user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 123 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 05, 15:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think so. Songs like Innuendo. I remember when in came out. Casual Queen fans thought it was so cool. These are the Days of Our Lives? So bloody good. Ride the Wild Wind? Its the name of a Poison song too but this was a great direction for Queen. Innuendo was a great Requiem for Freddie. He got to say goodbye. This is one of the things that makes Queen so special and adds to the mystique.

Queen& user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 562 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 05, 15:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well said he's a great songwriter

Paddy Can You Hear Me Now

Phoenix Nights Series 1

Posted: 09 Jan 05, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger should never be underestimated. RadioGaga spawned the hand in the air clap and that awesome video. Here in the USA, it was always on the radio despite people saying Americans didn't like the gay image or the I Want to Break Free video. Nobody I know thinks of those things about Queen. When I play them the Greatest Hits, they always are surprised that "THATS QUEEN"? "I DIDN'T KNOW THAT"! They always thought CLTCL was Elvis is another one.

Queen had to change in the 80's to gain new fans. Alot of succesful bands that are still around did that. Elton, Metallica, Rod Stewart, you name it.

Freddie was always able to reinvent himself. The clothing, the hairstyles, the image of the band, .If they would of kept their long hair, thet would of just looked like a bunch of old men has beens.

Roll with the tides baby.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 05, 16:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This one is specially for you:
http://sebastian.queenconcerts.com/innuendo.html

Thanks to Sebastian for info!

AC user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1838 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 05, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And for those who didn't follow the link provided by Serry Funster:

Innuendo was written by FREDDIE. Not Roger. Simple and true.

That time will come, one day you'll see that i'll be dead and you will laugh!

Posted: 09 Jan 05, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You are wrong. Innuendo was Rogers idea. Wait til somebody comes along here with the right information.

Posted: 09 Jan 05, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who? Roger?

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 05, 16:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Innuendo, lyrically, is more Roger (although Fred started it). But the music is Freddie. Still Innuendo (the album) is indeed Roger`s best songwriting period imo: Days Of Our Lives & Ride The Wild Wind.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

Posted: 09 Jan 05, 16:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Innuendo, lyrically, is more Roger (although Fred started it). But the music is Freddie. Still Innuendo (the album) is indeed Roger`s best songwriting period imo: Days Of Our Lives & Ride The Wild Wind.

And two amazing songs for 'Blue Rock' - 'The Also Rans' and 'New Dark Ages'!

newcastle 86! 16483 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 05, 19:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah innuendo saw some real good roger lyrics his attention to detail lyric wise is so good and his singing is second to none still love loser in the end................ ahead of its time

martinjkstones

Posted: 10 Jan 05, 04:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My Best Friend wrote:

You are wrong. Innuendo was Rogers idea. Wait til somebody comes along here with the right information.

I think that you're wrong and that Innuendo was Freddie idea (he was then helped by Roger with the lyrics, but it still remain his song).

And by the way, who should come here with the right information?

Sebastian

Posted: 10 Jan 05, 04:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The drumming is part of the arrangement, not the songwriting. In the same way, for instance, the guitar melody of Modern Times RnR is sooo Brian, but the song is still Roger`s, Brian is a(co-)arranger there. The music of Innuendo (i.e. the keys, the structure, the chord progressions and the melody) is Freddie`s, the lyrics are Roger`s (Fred started off, but Roger did most of the job there)

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Another Roger (re) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 442 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 05, 05:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe Roger made most of the song. Freddie did the middle section "you can be anything you want to be....." But the rest was Roger.

Basically blind em and deaf em in the first 10 minutes, and while they are recovering from that put in the less good songs

Posted: 10 Jan 05, 05:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just because Roger arranged the drumming, it doesn't mean he wrote the song. He probably did it for many other Queen songs, but that doesn't mean he co-wrote all of them!

Innuendo is a song by Freddie because he created it and wrote it. Roger arranged the drumming and helped him with the lyrics (a lot, ok, but what about Radio GaGa then?) but that doesn't make him the songwriter.

trustno1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 05, 05:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always thought it was odd that Roger should suddenly come out with a song so brilliant as Innuendo. When I read it was Freddie I thought: I f**king knew it! Far too complicated and inspired for Roger to come up with.

Though I love Breakthru and Day of Our Lives is beautiful.

Sebastian

Posted: 10 Jan 05, 06:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed DOOL is brill.

Peta user not visiting Queenzone.com
Peta
Bohemian: 319 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 05, 07:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Innuendo song is really great!! It´s one of my most favourite songs! I think Freddie was her writer.

04.10.08 - Hannover, 05.10.08 - Hamburg, 28.10.08 Budapest, 31.10.08 Prague, 1.11.08 Wien
Another Roger (re) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 442 posts

Posted: 05 May 06, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I still think this is mainly a Roger Taylor song. The middle section is Freddie, verses and basic idea Roger Taylor.

Basically blind em and deaf em in the first 10 minutes, and while they are recovering from that put in the less good songs
Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 05 May 06, 16:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd love to ramble on about this...but short and sweet:

1) Jim Hutton and Freestone have both commented "Freddie working hard on a song he called his Bo Rhap of the 90's" ....later to be named Innuendo.
2) Brian has said in interview, Guitar FTPM, MAY 1993..."we got Steve Howe from Yes to play on one of Freddie's tracks, Innuendo."
3) Steve Howe said in Guitar Player, July 1996 "Freddie Mercury was very professional, he had the spanish guitar part worked out on piano that he wanted me to play."

COMBINE THIS WITH THE FACT THAT THE MUSIC ON INNUENDO IS SIMPLY OUT OF ROGER'S LEAGUE...

And you have a Freddie song.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 05 May 06, 18:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just cause something has a bunch of drums doesn't mean it's a Roger song. Princes has TONS of guitar, did Brian write it? Definetely not... Freddie did.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"