Forums > Personal > Money for Tsunami Aid

forum rss feed
Author

veronica58 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 05, 23:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It seems like the money that is being donated to the victims of the tsunami is more about outdoing the other country than doing something good. I can't believe that people actually say that the U.S. hasn't given enough...

It also pisses me off when I see celebrities asking people to donate money, I don't understand why they don't just give away their own damn money, when some of the movie stars make 20 million a picture...

So I guess this is just a topic with me saying I'm disgusted with the way the money is talked about during this disaster.

The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jan 05, 03:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

>> Political Views: Very Liberal

Yeah, I understand now. Maybe it's nice to go to Europe once, where people live with each other instead of the American ego-culture.



I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY
veronica58 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jan 05, 14:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

American ego-culture? Are you serious?

I'm a Polish immigrant to this country and I have never seen people more generous. Contrary to popular belief, the streets of America are not paved in gold.

The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jan 05, 05:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

veronica58 wrote:

American ego-culture? Are you serious?

I'm a Polish immigrant to this country and I have never seen people more generous. Contrary to popular belief, the streets of America are not paved in gold.


A (Dutch) friend of my is soccer trainer in America, and he told me about the differences between people in Holland and America. So it isn's based on a wild gues or preconceptions.


I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY
veronica58 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jan 05, 23:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

right, just one person's opinion...

Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jan 05, 18:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

veronica58 wrote:

It seems like the money that is being donated to the victims of the tsunami is more about outdoing the other country than doing something good. I can't believe that people actually say that the U.S. hasn't given enough...

It also pisses me off when I see celebrities asking people to donate money, I don't understand why they don't just give away their own damn money, when some of the movie stars make 20 million a picture...

So I guess this is just a topic with me saying I'm disgusted with the way the money is talked about during this disaster.


I see it from a completely different point of view actually...

First of all, I think it's great to see how all the countries are able to stick together in this case. It shows that there's still humanity on earth and that we ARE able to collaborate, although it's sad that it takes more than 150.000 deaths and mass destruction until this works...

I don't think that America is not giving enough money, but compared to other countries like Australia, England, Germany, etc they are giving relatively little money considering that America is supposed to be "the most powerful country in the world" and has a bigger population and more money than these other countries.

What annoys me more, is that America spends Millions or Billions on a stupid and useless war and when it comes to such a disaster they won't give more than 350 mio dollars.

It does look like a kind of competition between the countries... like...which country gives more, which country's the best and most helpful, etc...

But the money is needed urgently. What are these countries in South Asia supposed to do? They've lost everything. And all the money that's been given and promised so far won't be enough yet to build up the countries again.

Celebreties: they DO give away their own money. Of course that's a good opportunity to promote themselves, but why not if it helps?
I prefer to see them promoting themselves by asking people to donate money instead of making stupid advertising for drinks or cosmetics!


"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jan 05, 18:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

veronica58 wrote:

It seems like the money that is being donated to the victims of the tsunami is more about outdoing the other country than doing something good. I can't believe that people actually say that the U.S. hasn't given enough...

It also pisses me off when I see celebrities asking people to donate money, I don't understand why they don't just give away their own damn money, when some of the movie stars make 20 million a picture...

So I guess this is just a topic with me saying I'm disgusted with the way the money is talked about during this disaster.


Some celebrities prefer to keep quiet about the amount they are donating, and some others prefer not to mention donating money when in fact they do.

Steven Spielberg is one of those who doesn't usually mention how much money he sends to charity, but he mentioned that he donated 1.5 million dollars for the tsunami aid as to encourage other wealthy celebrities to donate as much money as possible.

Sandra Bullock who doesn't have as much as the wealthiest director of all time, donated 1 million.

George W. Bush donate 10.000 from his own pocket, but I don't want to criticize him for that. We all know that he could have given more, but at least he gave something.

As a bad example of celebrities donating for the Tsunami, we have Madonna who donated 10.000 bottles of Kabbalah water. Probably expecting victims to join her new fad,... err, I mean "religion".

But at least Madonna has donated something. In the case of FOX News host Bill O'Reilly, who hasn't publicly admited donating anything for the Tsunami aid relief, but he also has strongly criticized and poked fun at George Clooney among other celebrities who have organized a tsunami aid telethon. O'Reilly called the event a not very reliable one, and a publicity stunt for all the celebrities involved.

George Clooney couldn't have given a better response than this one:

"Former Presidents Bush and Clinton believe this is an important enough event to participate in. We're not playing games here, we're trying to save lives. It's as simple as this; you're either with this joint effort or against it. We need an answer immediately."

So it was once again, time for Billy O'Reilly to SHUT UP!



[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Bob The Shrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bob The Shrek
Deity: 4014 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jan 05, 18:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Americans are also sending 2 aircraft carriers, 2 flotilla's of ships, 15,000 troops, aircraft & helicopters - they all cost money as well.




Cleveland May 24 to June 4th 2007 - I came, I saw, I fucked off home again.
Flashman user not visiting Queenzone.com
Flashman
Deity: 4523 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jan 05, 18:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know it sounds awful, but I'm afraid I've got Donation Fatigue.

The government say they'll match the public's money - with the fucking public's money!


FLASHMAN STRIKES AGAIN!



Paul Rodgers is not the best thing since fried Fred.
The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jan 05, 03:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Miss James wrote:

I don't find it too surprising that your friend from Holland prefers his own country to another...


He goes back to America every year, so I think he likes it in your country. He's already ordered a new Visa for the next half year. He only told me about the differences, people live more for their own. As I told, he's a soccer trainer and it's hard for him to built a team of American players. The players do not think of what’s the best for the team, they only think of themselves.

Last week we had a land-wide action to gather money for the Tsunami victims. And everyone donated something that day, old and young, poor and rich; children where on the streets selling things, all businesses where earning money and there where spontaneous collections everywhere. There was also an united Radio and TV-broadcast by several (commercial and non-commercial) channels. The result? 130.000.000 euro (population 16 million)!!! I don’t think something like this is possible in America.



I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jan 05, 09:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mir@cle...

I want to remind you that not all of us here in America are narrow minded, right-wing nuts, superficial, selfish, greedy, arrogant, and ultra-conservative.
The majority of people here is very concerned about the tsunami, and we feel this tragedy as our own because we haven't seen so much humanitarian effort to help those in need since 9/11.

Of course there's always morons like Bill O'Reilly (see my previous post) who don't give a flying shit about how many people have died in any tragedy of this kind on foreign nations, and probably think that the tsunami was nothing but a punishment from God against non-christian and muslim majority nations. For all that people like him think, it was good to wipe some poverty out of the face of the earth. Yet again, there's only a very few percentage of people who think this way.
Everyone else is very concerned about this issue, and want to help in anyway they can.

And yes, things like that are possible in America. In fact, George Clooney among other celebrities are organizing a telethon to raise money for the tsunami victims. That just to mention that particular event, because many Americans poor and rich, old and young, have put an effort into raising money for the tsunami cause.

Besides, why should this be a competition between who donates more or less. It's all about a great cause.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jan 05, 09:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles79 wrote:

Mir@cle...

I want to remind you that not all of us here in America are narrow minded, right-wing nuts, superficial, selfish, greedy, arrogant, and ultra-conservative.
The majority of people here is very concerned about the tsunami, and we feel this tragedy as our own because we haven't seen so much humanitarian effort to help those in need since 9/11.

Of course there's always morons like Bill O'Reilly (see my previous post) who don't give a flying shit about how many people have died in any tragedy of this kind on foreign nations, and probably think that the tsunami was nothing but a punishment from God against non-christian and muslim majority nations. For all that people like him think, it was good to wipe some poverty out of the face of the earth. Yet again, there's only a very few percentage of people who think this way.
Everyone else is very concerned about this issue, and want to help in anyway they can.

And yes, things like that are possible in America. In fact, George Clooney among other celebrities are organizing a telethon to raise money for the tsunami victims. That just to mention that particular event, because many Americans poor and rich, old and young, have put an effort into raising money for the tsunami cause.

Besides, why should this be a competition between who donates more or less. It's all about a great cause.


I think you're right. My opinion is maybe too much based on the Bush and O'Reilly figures in the USA. But they are chosen by Americans, aren't they??


I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY
*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1128 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jan 05, 10:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well....the first time Bush was chosen by less people than who chose his opponent, and the 2nd time had the narrowest percentage margin of victory for an incumbent since Woodrow Wilson in 1916.

Bill O'Reilly works for FOX, which is owned by Rupert Murdoch. 'nuff said there.

I used to watch O'Reilly once a week. I have differing views of the world, but the man did make sense, and, painful that it is to say, was correct in many of his opinions. Nowadays, there seems to be more 'hate' and viciousness in his approach, to the point where I can't stomach him for more than ten minutes. No idea what he's trying to prove anymore. He was spiteful in his remarks concerning the celebrity fundraising for the 9/11 victims, and now this. Perhaps his mind is elsewhere at times, wishing he could make obscene phone calls to female associates...

j+III


"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jan 05, 10:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Bill O'Reilly's FOX News colleague, Sean Hannity is even worse than O'Reilly himself.

Bill O'Reilly has at least (a very few times though) admitted being wrong on certain issues and spotted failures of the Bush Administration, but Sean Hannity's ego is so huge that he'd rather get a bullet through his brain than admitting he was wrong.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
veronica58 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jan 05, 18:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sonja wrote:

I see it from a completely different point of view actually...

First of all, I think it's great to see how all the countries are able to stick together in this case. It shows that there's still humanity on earth and that we ARE able to collaborate, although it's sad that it takes more than 150.000 deaths and mass destruction until this works...

I don't think that America is not giving enough money, but compared to other countries like Australia, England, Germany, etc they are giving relatively little money considering that America is supposed to be "the most powerful country in the world" and has a bigger population and more money than these other countries.

What annoys me more, is that America spends Millions or Billions on a stupid and useless war and when it comes to such a disaster they won't give more than 350 mio dollars.

It does look like a kind of competition between the countries... like...which country gives more, which country's the best and most helpful, etc...

But the money is needed urgently. What are these countries in South Asia supposed to do? They've lost everything. And all the money that's been given and promised so far won't be enough yet to build up the countries again.

Celebreties: they DO give away their own money. Of course that's a good opportunity to promote themselves, but why not if it helps?
I prefer to see them promoting themselves by asking people to donate money instead of making stupid advertising for drinks or cosmetics!



It sucks that we are looked upon as "the most powerful country in the world" when all we are trying to do is help everyone out since everyone expects it of us... When there is a disaster people instantly look to the U.S. to see what they gave and how they responded...funny enough, when America is faced with disaster the sympathy is usually very short lived. Perhaps America should have followed its early policy of not meddling with the rest of the world, esp. Europe..but then again if America hadn't come into WWII, for example, then where would you be?

I don't support the war in Iraq & didn't vote for Bush either, but I am very saddened with how the rest of the world perceives this country.


Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jan 05, 19:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to say that both Mir@cle and Veronica58 have wrong or just slightly distorded views of the world and America.

- First of all Americans are not egoistical. Most of them have put their grain of sand into the tsunami aid relief. Some have given more than others of course, but what is important is that the whole country is aware of the issue and it has moved the majority of Americans to do something, just like in most countries in Europe and other industrialized and economically developed nations.

- Americans shouldn't really think of what the world thinks of them regarding the tsunami aid. Sure, perhaps the United States government would have donated a lot more money if there wasn't so much money being spent, and in many ways "wasted" into the Iraq war, but what is done is done. What is important is for the world to see that Americans and not just their government are doing something, and the victims along with the people working in Asia to provide relief are welcoming any help regardless of where it comes from.

The point is that the world is already to fuckin' divided to start dividing it more at a time like this. Regardless of who gives more or less, we all should put the difference asides and work united for this cause.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Bob The Shrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bob The Shrek
Deity: 4014 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jan 05, 19:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also, as a reminder, America must have spent a fortune in Florida after those 4 hurricanes hit - plus all the freakish weather that is happening right now - mudslides and floods.


Cleveland May 24 to June 4th 2007 - I came, I saw, I fucked off home again.
veronica58 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jan 05, 21:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Jingles-
I don't understand what you mean by my view of America being wrong or distorted... In my opinion I have a more objective view than most people since I am both European and American.

And yes I do care about what other countries say about America not giving enough... There's no need, like you said, to point fingers at this time, but I feel it necessary to set some things straight about Americans since this site is quite international.

The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jan 05, 03:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, maybe one day I will come over with my friend to teach the Americans how to play soccer. He offered me once, but I have a good job at the moment so I declined the offer. Only then I have the right to judge about the American citizens, now I don't.

It's the arrogance of Bush and his colleagues that created the worlds aversion towards the USA. Those men are representing your country, so it’s not weird that our opinions are formed by them.



I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jan 05, 08:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Mir@cle wrote:


It's the arrogance of Bush and his colleagues that created the worlds aversion towards the USA. Those men are representing your country, so it’s not weird that our opinions are formed by them.


Well, the world also needs to understand that one man and hundreds of politicians behind him don't speak for 295 million people of an entire nation, but they could perhaps speak for 59'000.000 of them, who voted for him.
Which I need to remind you is still 20% of the entire population.



[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]