Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Why didn't Brian sing '39 at Freddie's tribute show?

forum rss feed
Author

brian_may_wannabe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 560 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Jan 05, 11:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nothing against George Michael's version, but Brian sang originally in the Opera album, surely he must have sang it in the Fredddie's tribute show musn't he?

daniel.hughes

made_in_heaven (thats_what_they_day)
Wreckage user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 759 posts

Posted: 15 Jan 05, 11:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie always sang '39 during Queen's live shows, so Brian obviously decided to let someone else sing it on that occasion. Also, George Michael used to perform a version of '39 during his busking days (as he mentions during the show), which oerhaps explains its inclusion in the Tribute show setlist.

If you can't beat them with brains, beat them with bullshit
bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 15 Jan 05, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'39 was just one of many Brian tracks performed the tribute show....

for a freddie tribute isn't it strange that the set starts with 4 brian tracks?

ryancoke user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 202 posts

Posted: 15 Jan 05, 16:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think Brian enjoys singing live very much, just backup. That's just my view, though.

Give us the right key, f#@! sakes...
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 15 Jan 05, 18:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It wasn't Brian's solo concert, you know... He played TMLWKY. Otherwise you could say why Roger didn't sing Radio GaGa, why John didn't sing I Want To Break Free... oops... Well, example with Roger is much better ;-)

Posted: 15 Jan 05, 18:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color="red">Peter Cetera</b> wrote:

Well, it is quite an interesting question ... and you can`t really compare it with Radio Ga Ga. That was a song that was never ment to be sung by Roger. But 39` was originally sung by BRIAN, so it may have been the only Queen track on that evening where Freddies voice would not have been sadly missed. It would have been a great idea, since Brian`s voice is quite good for ballads ... like TMLWKY

And '39 was never sung live by Brian on Queen shows! And by the way - why Brian sung first lines of Tie Your Mother Down then? Don't try to find logic in places, where logic doesn't work!

Posted: 15 Jan 05, 18:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Since Freddie was dead why shouldn`t he sing it himself (what he had already done in 1975!!). If this is not logical I don`t know what is!!!

So we're back to my first reply about Radio GaGa! Since Fred was dead why shouldn't Roger sing it himself? Answer is: because they invited other guys to do Fred's job.

foxxy_moron user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 618 posts

Posted: 15 Jan 05, 19:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

George Michael did a really good job at it though..

~_*-+_Let us cling together as the years go by..._+-*_~
Flashman user not visiting Queenzone.com
Flashman
Deity: 4523 posts

Posted: 15 Jan 05, 19:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I couldn't be arsed ", is what Brian said to my P.A. this morning.

FLASHMAN STRIKES AGAIN!

Paul Rodgers is not the best thing since fried Fred.
Ray D O'Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Get down, make love
Ray D O'Gaga
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 15 Jan 05, 19:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But at The Freddie Tribute Concert Freddie of course couldn`t do this anymore (he had DIED) so it may have been the simplest and best solution to have 39` with Brian`s vocals. It would have been the only Queen song where you would not miss Freddies voice (because the studio version has Brian´s vocals!!!!).

Freddie's voice wouldn't have been missed from the studio version, where Brian sang the lead, but it would have been missed by those who were familiar with the many live versions, where Freddie sang the lead. One is no more or less logical than the other.

The most likely explanation is that they wouldn't have performed '39 at all except at the request of George Michael, who obviously wanted the chance to sing the song with Queen, so therefore it would have completely defeated the purpose of doing the song if Brian sang it, since the only reason they played it at all is because George Michael wanted to sing it with them. Think about it. It makes perfect sense.

Blow it out your ass.
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 15 Jan 05, 20:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It wasn`t a solo concert for Brian, although as I`ve always said he had way too much promotion in there. They played more Brian`s songs than Freddie`s songs and it was a tribute to Freddie. Anyway, as it has been already pointed out, Brian sang lead in the first verse of Tie, the bridge of I Want It All and all of Too Much Love, so I think it was enough. I would have liked Roger to sing Radio Ga Ga, he`s much better singer than Paul Young imo.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

Posted: 16 Jan 05, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the logic depends on one`s personal point of view. I, for example, never really cared about Queen`s live recordings so much (I only bought the live albums to complete my collection, though I still listen to them sometimes). Therefore I see the studio versions as the definitive recordings of all the Queen songs. So in my opinion 39` would only have been properly presented if it would have been sung by Brian (like in the original). My logic may however not work for other people who appreciate Freddies interpretation.

But still they should have interpreted one or two Queen songs at the concert with the "original" voice on it (since there aren`t many who Freddie didn`t do it could have been only 39`by Brian and / or "I`m in Love With My Car" by Roger - the others are even less known / like "Drowse" etc.).

Peter, now and again, as me and Sebastian wrote - it wasn't solo concert of Brian! I see your point, but why you can't understand they invited friends to sing their songs? It was tribute to Freddie, not to Queen! I'd like if tribute could be played by Roger, John and Brian and nothing else, but if they choose another way and asked guys to sing their songs - I'd accept it and don't wonder why Brian didn't sing it! Brian plays harp on LOML on album, but he didn't has to play it on live shows!

Canadian May Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 106 posts

Posted: 16 Jan 05, 15:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bitesthedust wrote:

'39 was just one of many Brian tracks performed the tribute show....

for a freddie tribute isn't it strange that the set starts with 4 brian tracks?

That's kind of typical of Queen's concerts anyway, isn't it? (especially MK)

"I'll top the bill, I'll overkill, I've got to find the will to carry on... The show must go on."
Fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 889 posts

Posted: 16 Jan 05, 19:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anyone know of a full live version sung by Brian? Perhaps during the BTTL tour? I'd love to hear that!