Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Your most best/worst "Queen song on the car radio" moment

forum rss feed
Author

bellydancer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 246 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Jan 05, 06:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

C'mon admit it! You're driving along and a Queen song comes on the radio. What do you do? Turn it up full blast and sing along! Well I admit to it. So who's been caught out?

I'll start the ball rolling - this happened to me not more than half an hour ago.

I've just ducked over to do some late night shopping. No one else is in the car park. Turn the key in the ignition and what comes on the radio? "Somebody to Love". So as it comes up to that great drum crescendo at the end and I'm banging in time on the steering wheel and who should happen along but two trolley boys who look at me like I'm not from this planet. Embarassing? NAH! I just start up the car, give them a big smile and a wave and I'm on my merry way!

"Everybody knows that rock attained perfection in 1974-its a scientific fact" Homer Simpson
7Innuendo7 user not visiting Queenzone.com
7Innuendo7
Bohemian: 816 posts

Posted: 18 Jan 05, 07:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rushin' Headlong

down the highway!

When a red hot man meets a white hot lady, Hoop Diddy Diddy, Hoop Diddy Doo!
Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts

Posted: 18 Jan 05, 09:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm driving 40 km/h (that's the speed limit) on an empty road in the evening. I'm listening to I Want It All very loud and singing along (very loud too). Suddenly I get this amazing idea to add some more speed. In just one second I'm travelling at 65 km/h. One second from that I pass a street and see a "hidden" police car. Well, you'll guess the rest...

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
Scirocco1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 533 posts

Posted: 18 Jan 05, 09:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Funny story, TRUE story:

Had my first naughty moment with a gal in my car (the first naughty moment in car, not the first naughty moment per se)
and we listened to a cassette I made. Right after our business was finished, the tape started side two, and out of the speakers, Freddie yelled: "My love is dangerous!"
How very appropriate, Mr. Mercury.

Keep 'em mowing blades sharp!
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 18 Jan 05, 10:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My family pulled a "Wayne's World" quite a few times when I was younger... Good times. :)

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
flash00 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 137 posts

Posted: 18 Jan 05, 12:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

headlong coz i cant stop putting my foot to the floor lol....

pssttt....
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 18 Jan 05, 14:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'Ride The Wild Wind' was playing when I was drive about 20 km/h.... I guess it wasn't enough fast to ride the wild wind!

geeksandgeeks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4296 posts

Posted: 18 Jan 05, 16:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good topic!

BEST: Van full of members of my high school speech team. Car radio's on. They've been playing a string of really good songs - "Seasons in the Sun" and "One Toke Over the Line", two songs which I think the radio should play more often. Then, "Killer Queen" comes on the car radio. EVERYONE knows the words. We all start singing along to it. Before long, it's me on the high parts, one of the other choir guys on the low parts, and everyone else on the chorus, and we sounded surprisingly good. Major bonding moment. And then my partner and I made it to finals.

WORST: Not exactly a car radio, but a headphone moment. I was listening to "Friends Will Be Friends," with one of my friends on his headphones. Oh, you should hear me, my friend, and Freddie do our rendition of that song (not to brag or anything). Words cannot convey the emotion that we were feeling, an eloquent mixture of joyous love and hopeful understanding and the horror of realizing that our physics teacher is staring at us from across the yard, forcing my friend and me to fake coughing fits while Freddie finishes the song on his own. I'm never going to hear the end of that one from Mr. Turner - thank God he at least has a sense of humor.

God wants you to send me some money.

"Seven spades doubled, vulnerable, making seven? You BITCH."
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 18 Jan 05, 16:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A few of my friends and I were taking a walk one day and we decided to have a sing-along! So of course, Bohemian Rhapsody is always a great choice for a sing-along, so we were singing that at the top of our lungs. The neighbors probably weren't happy, but we had fun. We've also sung-along to Bohemian Rhapsody blasted in the car a few times!

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

SergeantPepperDG user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1725 posts

Posted: 18 Jan 05, 19:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My friend's mom was taking my friend and me to IKEA, which is a fairly long drive. I brought my iPod and we hooked it up to the car stereo. We opened the windows, and we completely BLASTED "I Want To Break Free" at top volume on the speakers. Since we turned the bass all the way up, the whole car was shaking.

Kay Adams Corleone- The ultimate desperate housewife
beautiful madness user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 30 posts

Posted: 19 Jan 05, 07:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

me and my friends were in a car once and singing 'bohemian rhapsody' and shouting it out the window and everyone looked but we didn't care!!!

trustno1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 20 Jan 05, 05:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was listening to a homemade Queen compilation album really loud once, and I'd burned one of the songs far too loud. The first note almost blew my expensive speakers, so I groped and fumbled for the volume switch. Unfortunately, I took my eye off the road and knocked over and killed an old man!

The next day, I went back and re-burned the CD properly.

MercuryArts user not visiting Queenzone.com
MercuryArts
Bohemian: 839 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 05, 11:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The best would have to be hearing Headlong out of the blue when it was first released in early 1991. The sheer excitement of being caught totally off guard by it. There was no internet to get early tips. I happened to turn on the radio while driving to band pratice. I was so pumped up after that I had the rehersal of my life! Shame it wasn't on the way to a gig!
Worst moment is later that same year driving home from a friends about 9:30 or so on a Sunday night. The DJ interupted the song on the radio and announced Freddie's passing. Then proceded to play about 30 min. of rare Queen including You & I.

"Take care of those you call your own"