Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Rush.....?

forum rss feed
Author

Awesome-O _4000 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Jan 05, 21:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=#8A2BE2> Linda Of The Valley wrote:

I don't understand why people here on qz always come up with Queen/Beatles topics!! You could at least come up with a different band...

Ok, here goes....

I was talking to a friend of mine and he know's I love Queen more than any other music. Well, he starts telling me Queen have been bumped out of his "top 5" because he discovered the rock band that beats Queen on all levels: Rush.

According to him... if you say John Deacon could play the stuff their bassist could play "you're full of crap", compared to the Rush drummer "Roger Taylor is a talentless slob", and most upsettingly: the guitarist is "the greatest technical guitarist" and could "kick Brian May's ASS in a faceoff".

Apart from the verbal assault I endured, I was also upset that I couldn't argue... I DON'T LISTEN TO RUSH. In fact, I couldn't name one song.

So what do you guys think???

-Thungerbolt courtesy of God
foxxy_moron user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 618 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 05, 21:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

like i said on da other thread,
i have never head of them really.
they dont sound very nice.

~_*-+_Let us cling together as the years go by..._+-*_~

Posted: 21 Jan 05, 21:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MarchOfTheDirtQueen wrote:

Yeah, Rush are okay I guess but who the fuck is your friend trying to kid? Queen lasted two decades and despite the crap they get from keeping on keeping on, they're still going. Rush lasted a couple - they were a flavour of the month. Queen is practically immortal. And it takes TALENT to be immortal.

Well said MarchOfTheDirtQueen. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the words at the time. Oh, and I looked around and found one song I've heard: Closer to the Heart. I was like, WHAT?? That's their great song? I'm Definetely not impressed.

Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 05, 21:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok Dude, here goes....

1. Who gives a fuck about your friend and his ignorant opinions?

2. John Deacon is a consummate musician. He could play anything that Geddy Lee could, but he played in a band where viruosity always took a back seat to the good of the song.

3. Compared to the Neil Peart, most fans choice as rock's greatest drummer, Roger Taylor may well be a talentless slob. Then again, he played on some of the greatest, most complex songs of the rock era, songs that were hits. Maybe Neil Peart's 'overplaying' contributed to Rush's 'comparative to Queen'lack of radio succcess.

4. Alex Lifeson may well be "the greatest technical guitarist" (he isn't.) I believe Brian May is the "greatest guitarist for displaying emotion." Does that make him better?

5. The fact that you don't know one Rush song isn't a good defense, it just makes you as ignorant as your friend is.

So what do you I think? If your friend likes Rush better than Queen, fine. If it pisses you off, prove who's a 'better' band. Good luck doing so.

You know, good times are now.

Posted: 21 Jan 05, 21:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually, you helped. And no disrespect to Rush, I just listed to some of their stuff, they don't seem like that bad of guys actually. It's just how outrageously my friend exaggerated their talents.

The guitarist of Rush is very good technichally, but he's not very loud or edgy, is he? You're right, Brian was the best for, how did you say it? Expressing Emotion. The drummer is very good technically, but again, not enough emotion. Some say Roger wasn't that great, but man does he put his back into it! And the bass player is NOT better than John, man I'm going to throw that back in his face! He just said those things to try to make me feel foolish. He has some nerve, what a jerk.

(sorry for ranting to everyone, I had to have an outlet for this repressed rage, haha)

Posted: 21 Jan 05, 22:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BHM 0271 wrote:

5. The fact that you don't know one Rush song isn't a good defense, it just makes you as ignorant as your friend is.

And hey, that was rude.

I never said my "ignorance" was a defense. In fact, If you'd read the fine print, I said just the opposite. I guess that makes you ignorant too.

Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 05, 22:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry. The knowledge of the board is about 1/100th of what it used to be and I took it out on you for all of the idiotic posts here lately. No harm meant:)

You know, good times are now.

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 00:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey, no problem... as you can see I've been snapping at people myself lately ;D

I understand what you mean, I'm getting sick of loads of dips on this forum. Of course, this topic has been discussed WAY more than it needs to so I'll shut up....

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 00:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MarchOfTheDirtQueen wrote:

Yeah, Rush are okay I guess but who the fuck is your friend trying to kid? Queen lasted two decades and despite the crap they get from keeping on keeping on, they're still going. Rush lasted a couple - they were a flavour of the month. Queen is practically immortal. And it takes TALENT to be immortal.

What the fuck? Do you even know who Rush is?

Rush started in 1973 and are still touring to this day - they've had the same original three members since they formed, except for the drummer, who joined in 1974 after they released their first album.

I find it absolutely stunning as to the level of ignorance of most Queen fans. Like 'em or loathe 'em, Rush is amazing - if you listen to their songs, you would think there are five or six members of the band, but it's only three. Neil Peart is in a level above Roger as far as drumming goes - speaking as a drummer, Peart's stuff is virtually impossible to play. Very technical, but also a lot of feel; you can tell he loves to drum. Geddy Lee...well, his vocals can be grating, I will admit, but his bass playing is stunning. He takes the John Entwistle approach by providing a rhythm line while Alex Lifeson, the guitarist, plays lead guitar.

Their songs are hit or miss, especially the newer ones, but all the words were written by Neil Peart (how often does a drummer write concept albums?), but they have some absolutely cracking songs: 'Closer To The Heart', 'Bastille Day', 'The Spirit Of Radio', 'Xanadu', 'Tom Sawyer', 'Red Barchetta', 'Show Don't Tell', 'Yyz', 'Subdivisions', and so forth.

They also put on a great live show, at least from what I've heard (I've never heard a negative thing) and seen on DVD: just the three of them recreating all these technical and difficult songs, including many synthesizer parts, performed by all of them. So, it's three guys playing the parts of at least five musicians: bass, drums, guitar, vocals, and keyboards. I would honestly like to see anybody else try to do that.

So for somebody to say that Rush were flavor of the month is fucking ridiculous, considering they've lasted fourteen more years than Queen have. Honestly - some of these people need to pull their heads out of their asses and realize there is more music in this world than Queen. If you're going to compare a band to Queen, you should at least know what the fuck you're talking about before you blindly say "Queen rules, everyone else sucks."

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 16:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In all honesty, the entire quote wasn't directed at you, it was really just towards everyone in the thread.

I just find it irritating that people are willing to blast other bands they don't know without even giving them a listen, just as many other people criticized Paul Rodgers, not even knowing who the guy is.

No hard feelings, perhaps I was a bit harsh, but I certainly wouldn't call Rush "flavor of the month".

bigc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 353 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 16:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

easy easy.

different strokes for different folks

dont fight or else I'll make you both admit that the best artist ever is Cliff Richard

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 16:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You wouldn't dare!

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 17:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

I just find it irritating that people are willing to blast other bands they don't know without even giving them a listen, just as many other people criticized Paul Rodgers, not even knowing who the guy is.

I completely agree with that. Lately, so many people have been criticizing Paul Rodgers just because they think he's trying to replace Freddie or they just hate him being on tour with Brian and Roger, but he's a great musician with a long career behind him. He shouldn't be put down just because the idea of Queen touring with anybody but Freddie bothers them or even just based on his performance at the Hall Of Fame. And listen to Bad Company by Bad Company, it's a great album!

Sorry, get back to talking about Rush. :)

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 17:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We really are. Well, I am.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 17:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rush is a fantastic band and are in their fourth decade of creating great music. when you get to the level of bands like 'rush' and the mighty 'Queen' you could go either way. it's unfair to try to match member for member but the way i see it is vocalist and guitar goes to queen. drummer and bass goes to rush. songwriting is obviously all opinion, mine is queen has an edge in songwriting. Niel peart is the best drummer possibly in rock history, and getty lee is one of the best bass players ever, but Mr. Brian may is an all around better guitarist than 'alex' from rush. Queen's biggest strengh was in their songwriting ability, simply amazing.

newcastle 86! 16483 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 17:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mmmmmmmmm............ strongly disagree about neil peart the one and only kieth moon would top any poll. lets get one thing clear its all opinion yeah, as for lead gutar eddie van halen, and bass steve harris what a bass man! and lyricist too, each have their own style i personally think roger taylor is a great drummer, jd great bass man, and bm a fine gutarist put em all together and youve got the best fukin band ever!

martinjkstones
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 17:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i said 'pert' is one of the best, yea moon and a few others, but pert is in the top five.

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 18:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For technical ability, give me Peart; for just raucous and good-time drumming, Moon - any day.

Entwistle is the best bassist in my opinion, up there with Squire, John Paul Jones, and Jack Bruce.

newcastle 86! 16483 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 18:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

keith moon was the most gifted and lets face it! flawed drummer ever i love his solos, he is so manic but hey hes great just to see those 2 bass drums! come on! you know your gonna get a show
as a post script what do yous reckon of moon playin "now im here" would that be good!

martinjkstones
bigc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 353 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 18:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i knew my trump card would work..hehe