Posted: 22 Jan 05, 07:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

does brian own freddies piano will he use it on tour mayby for no one but you

Paddy Can You Hear Me Now

Phoenix Nights Series 1
Regor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 364 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 08:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think his "lovely Supergrand" now belongs to Mary Austin, cause she inherited the house. Sebastian, can you confirm that ?

Guten Tag und Guten Abend !!! We had a great time in Cologne. Drinking beer in the sunshine beside the Mighty Rhein brought back many memories for me..... (Brian May, 2004)
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 09:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

She has it. I remember reading an article a couple of years ago that featured an interview with Mary and a handful of pictures, One of which had her standing next to the piano. So, Either that is Freddie's piano, Or an illusion. ;)

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 09:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Depends on what you mean by "Freddie`s piano". There were three:

- The upright he had at his flat in the very early days, in which he composed material for Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack. More than "his" piano it was the one at the flat (like the computer I`m using now, it`s "property of the flat", when I move I`ve got to leave it here), so I think it`s now owned by ... whoever is in that flat right now.

- The Yamaha he had at Logan Place, in which he composed Bo Rhap (he had it there from summer `75 onwards). That`s the one still at Logan Place, Mary owns it, unless in the last few years she sold it or broke it or gave it to somebody ... we never know...

- The Steinway (the one he used live and in some recordings like Don`t Stop Me Now). I`m not sure about the details, but I might imagine than more than "Freddie`s" piano it was the band`s piano (I mean, property of Queen Productions and bought with money of the band, not from Fred`s own pocket). Buying equipment is part of everyone`s responsibility, like buying PA things or amplifiers, they technically belong to all the band, except for some cases like the Red Special which of course came before. In an interview to Brian in `98 he had it at his flat, he used the same piano (perhaps) in the No One But You video; but I`ve also heard Roger had it at Cossford Mill. Anyway, one of them does.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
GiantSpider user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 345 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 09:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well in the interviews on the Live At Wembley DVD Brian sits on the piano stool in front of a Black Steinway.

James

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 09:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I'm sure Brian owns a piano as well. ;)

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 09:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well if it was the band's piano then they would have used it at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert instead of that Roland or whatever it was.

James

Sebastian

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 10:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GiantSpider wrote:

Well if it was the band's piano then they would have used it at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert instead of that Roland or whatever it was.

Theoretically, yes, but I guess Spike felt better in a digital one, or, they preferred to have more space.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Sebastian

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 12:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A photo of Fred`s upright in May `75:

http://www.repfoto.com/repfoto/queen/queen7505021/html/7505021004.jpg.htm

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 13:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is that Chris Squire in that photo?

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 15:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

GiantSpider wrote:

Theoretically, yes, but I guess Spike felt better in a digital one, or, they preferred to have more space.

But Spike didn't even play that very much. WATC, Bo Rap. But with having a screen at each side of the stage I could understand the space argument.

James

Sebastian

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 22:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don`t think it`s Chris Squire, more like Roy Baker imo

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 05, 22:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah. Maybe they're long lost twins, Squire and Baker.

Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 05, 19:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If Mary has it, I wonder if it's been played by anyone since Freddie died?

Sebastian

Posted: 23 Jan 05, 19:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mrs Doyle wrote:

If Mary has it, I wonder if it's been played by anyone since Freddie died?

Good point. I guess, if any of Mary`s kids wants to learn piano, they already have where.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 05, 20:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"- The Yamaha he had at Logan Place, in which he composed Bo Rhap (he had it there from summer `75 onwards). That`s the one still at Logan Place, Mary owns it, unless in the last few years she sold it or broke it or gave it to somebody ... we never know..."

Brian has the Yamaha now

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Sebastian

Posted: 24 Jan 05, 03:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are you sure? Acording to Phoebe the baby-grand is still at Logan Place