forum rss feed
Author

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Jan 05, 16:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why?

1 - The shambles of a lottery.
2 - The fact that the fan club AND QOL were not REALLY organising it, but TickeMaster were - who knows how many REAL fans will get tickets.
3 - John Deacon wasn't OFFICIALLY APPROACHED to play.
4 - Tickets are WAY above the level normally charged for a band with NO new material.
5 - Brian is buying into the lies by representing the whole thing as beinf organised for the fans when it really is being organised by a conclomerate like ticketmaster.

There are so many other reasons why this sham should not be allowed to go ahead.

Who wants my tickets for Brixton? Ha ha.

Benn
GregM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 141 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 05, 16:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here are my counterpoints to your argument:

1 - The band didn't have to even HAVE a lottery -- their heart was in the right place, however it worked out.
2 - Try doing ANYTHING without Ticketmaster nowadays. Look what happened to Pearl Jam.
3 - Whether or not this is true, I'm sure there are aspects to John's decision (and to the decision of the other members) that we know nothing about, and which are none of our business anyway.
4 - The quality of the Queen gigs will also be WAY above the level of gigs by other bands these days.
5 - Brian would NEVER do anything to screw over a Queen fan -- he's one of the kindest, most honest people in the industry, in my experience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bryans permed poodle 15069 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 762 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 05, 16:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Point 4 Greg: With Freddie yes.....without Freddie ??? + it ain't really QUEEN. Queen is brand name without it how many tickets would they sell as Bryan May, Roger Taylor + Paul Rogers ??

Paul Rodgers - "Gimp Of The Year 2006"
Hank H. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 738 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 05, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why so frustrated? Lighten up. If it doesn't make you feel good, think about something else.
Besides, it's a bit late for a boycott since several venues are already sold out.

"I'm a great believer in actually NOT giving people what they want"

Brian May, 11 March 05
GregM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 141 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 05, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bryans,

I still feel they ARE Queen, even without Freddie and John, but either way, If they're going to have a tour, of course they'll want it to do well, and the name will help...no shame in that, especially since everyone who bought tickets already knew it would only be half the original band. They weren't lying to us or hiding anything. Intelligent marketing doesn't necessarily equal greed. And even without Freddie, I STILL think the shows will be better than anything else out there.

Best,

Greg

RohemianBapsody user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 560 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 05, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Benn

If you want to boycott the shows then that is fine with you, but there are an awful lot of people out there who have never been to a LIVE queen concert.

The fact that Freddie is not there does not mean it is not Queen who are touring.

Although Freddie and John are missing, if you witnessed the eruption at Ocean when Roger and Brian came on the stage you would appreciate why this is so exciting.

Keep Good Company
Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 05, 17:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'll take your Brixton tickets, Benn! ;-)

RohemianBapsody user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 560 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 05, 17:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Probably plenty of touts would too.

you could make a killing ;)

Keep Good Company
Arnaldo "Ogre-" Silveira user not visiting Queenzone.com
Arnaldo
Deity: 2258 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 05, 18:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think that somebody that has that kind of feeling about a "Queen +" tour should be denyed entrance, anyway. I'm pretty sure the concerts will be sold out, mainly with real fans dying for a ticket.

I'm counting each and every coin to see if there is a possibility to pay a flight from Brazil to Europe in order to try to buy a ticket and see at least one of these concerts. Unfortunatelly, even if some of you boycott the shows, I don't stand a real chance at this point in time.

Oh, well, let me ask you guys something: don't be so bitter and,if you really are Queen fans, think a little bit more and don't loose such a chance.

Cheers,

Ogre-

Keep Passing the Open Windows
Libor2 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Libor2
Bohemian: 661 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 05, 18:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No.

But now it's time to be gone - forever...
GonnaUseMyPrisoners user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 714 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 05, 02:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Benn wrote:

Why?

1 - The shambles of a lottery.
2 - The fact that the fan club AND QOL were not REALLY organising it, but TickeMaster were - who knows how many REAL fans will get tickets.
3 - John Deacon wasn't OFFICIALLY APPROACHED to play.
4 - Tickets are WAY above the level normally charged for a band with NO new material.
5 - Brian is buying into the lies by representing the whole thing as beinf organised for the fans when it really is being organised by a conclomerate like ticketmaster.

There are so many other reasons why this sham should not be allowed to go ahead.

Who wants my tickets for Brixton? Ha ha.

Hey, once you sell them, why not treat yourself to that lobotomy you've been wanting so? I hear they're a steal in the winter months.

...gonna use my prisoners, gonna give 'em the business...
The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 05, 04:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let's boycott Benn... I don't like that guy anyway. But he must have a lot of knowledge... He is the only here who knows something about the relationship between John and the others band members and he knows exactly what their financial position is. So then you must be John’s personal assistant.

I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY
Hankster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 469 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 05, 04:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pff .. djeez .. if Bri and Rog care if you boycett them, Benn .. If we even care if you boycott them, Benn :P

Queen T user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 05, 08:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Benn: I'll take those Brixton tickets...some of us weren't lucky enough to get them...hopefully you're not yanking anybody's chain...

Posted: 24 Jan 05, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Brixton tickets have gone to someone for what *I* believe to be a fair price........

The beauty is (and this is not crowing or bragging, believe me) that I have an option on some free tickets / passes from the promotor.

As for having knowledge - yes I do have a knowledge in certain aspects of what has and is going on. But I certainly don't have any personal contact with the band; all I've tried to do is to convey what I know to be true - if you choose not to believe me, then fine. And I certainly don't *pretend* to know anything...

Benn
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 05, 11:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think many of us have illusions about the music industry. I also don't think that many here think that the tickets are cheap. Compared to our income they are certainly very expensive and I am sure most of us are aware that the band has everything to do with the pricing.

However, a concert is not a life's necessity. We all can choose if we buy a ticket or if we don't. I think most people who work for their living are perfectly capable of deciding if they want to pay 30/40/50 pounds or euros for a concert ticket. The lottery was a marketing tool which obviously worked very well for the tour - all English venues are sold out. I am sad that so many fans are disappointed because they did not get a ticket but surely a boycott is not something that would win a majority vote here. You, Benn, seem to be closer to the "powers" than anyone else but you did not provide much information that would justify a boycott.

I do not want any google ads here.

Posted: 24 Jan 05, 12:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I only offered the thread as a discussion topic - perhaps I should have been clearer in stating that.

I'm boycotting it simply because I don't agree that the management of a band with no new material has actually EXPECTED people to pay £60 per ticket. The even more irritating thing is that there appears to have been a general acceptance of the ticket prices, just because it's been so long since Brian and Roger played together.

It disappoints me but doesn't surprise me that Queen fans remain so blindly loyal and supportive of every scam that is thrown at them. What criteria do people use when they part with their cash?

Is everyone SO desperate to claim that they have seen Queen in concert that money becomes no obhect? Obviously those better off than others financially are better equipped to cope with it all, but even then, is there not a greater vaklue pklaced upon your own money?

Whilst tickets sell at this kind of price, it ffurther stokes the fires and fills the coffers of the people that EXPECT Queen fans to pay out. All it does is give the powers that be the opportunity to think:

"What price can we charge NEXT TIME?"

I certainly won't be parting with any money to go.

Benn
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 05, 12:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Benn wrote:

Is everyone SO desperate to claim that they have seen Queen in concert that money becomes no obhect?

To be honest...?
YES
I bought tickets for 5 different shows- didn't win Brixton and am very sad about it. If you check my history you'll find that I ain't stepford- criticised the band and their decissions soooo many times and was being almost abused by saying that Wembley isn't THAT good and that WORKS, AKOM or HOT SPACE suck big time... BUT- I'm 25, I haven't been to Knebworth or anywhere else... I saw Brian only once in Warsaw and than both of them @ Party at the Palace. I don't know if I'll ever see them again- Brian is waht- 60? That's my only opportunity and dream since I was 11!!! Man, I was dreaming for so long, realising of course that Freddie is long gone and John had retired... But I always wanted to hear LIVE this beautiful crunchy sound of Red Special and hear Roger drumming. For so many years very rare and almost imosible dream (5 years ago I was living in Poland, you can check how many times they played there...). And now is my chance AND they're doing it with one of my favourites vocalist of all time- THE VOICE, not some washed wannabe like Robbie Williams. I mean we're talking about Paul "The Voice" Rodgers!!! Long before a slightest rumour about that tour I had all Free and Bad Company albums (I didn't have anything by The Firm, however...)
WYHY WOULD I DO IT? WHY WOULD I BOYCOT THE THING? Your 5 reasons aren't enough for me. I have a choice of listening for the 12354th time LIVE KILLERS OR going to those gigs and listening to Red Special live. 55 pounds? That's my child dream coming true man- seeing Metallica, Nick Cave or Dream Theater wasn't THAT emotional, even though those turned out to be GREEEEAT gigs. And two of them (Metallica @ earls Court and Dream Theater @ Hammersmith) weren't that much cheaper either...
Man- it's only rock'n'roll- you live only once... I know I do. And I always wanted to see them. There's my chance NOW. If they charged 100 pounds- I'd agree with you. 55 ain't THAT much- for 60 I bought tickets for Ozzy and fucker fell off the bike and canceled the thing. two guys from queen feat. guy from Free/Bad Company IS worth this kind of money for me.

PS
If someone doesn't wanna go to BRIXTON and wants reasonable price- I'm willing to go! Don't care about the whole crap surrounding music industry. Got the money, earned it very hard- I can spend it any way I want- and I'm EXTREMELY happy after buying those 5 dates!!!

BUT- I agree about the lottery thing- the way it was organised was RUBBISH! AND- the Fan Club had finally chance to show us that it can still be important and usefull. IMO- lost opportunity... Jacky- time to make way for someone who knows what the internet is for and doesn't live in 70s...

deakys ghost user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 05, 12:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Benn makes a very valid point. Jim Beach has been itching to organise a "Queen" tour for years, his business is making money. The ticket prices now are only a test, seeing if demand is there. The next tour will be the real money spinner something like the Rolling Stones tours where punters are expected to hand over upwards of £200 for a ticket as was seen with their '40 licks' tour.
The "lottery" has been a misguided and totally foolish endeavour that has served to further alienate the fanclub at the expense of the online "fanclub". It now seems that Jacky & Val are further removed from the band than ever and that those who have remained loyal to the band and club have been treated as an afterthought.
I am glad that John Deacon has not been party to this fiasco of the last few weeks. I agree with Benn that Deacon was probably not asked to rejoin the band.
The last couple of weeks have been unsavoury to say the least and really has tested my loyalty to the band.
I will not be boycotting the concerts but treating them like a BM/RT glorified solo tour using a well known franchise to sell tickets/remain in the limelight/add to the pension fund.
It seems that everyone has forgotten Freddie in their frenzy over Brixton and getting tickets and without him the name "Queen" is meaningless.

Hitman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2217 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 05, 12:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blah, there's always someone complaining for everything Bri and Rog do...just not come to the concerts friend! i'm afraid you are loosing a good show.

too bad tickets are exepensive....
"I like the good things in life, but most of the best things ain't free...uh uh uh"

Anything too stupid to be said... is sung.