Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > What songs-Queen or not-give you chills?

forum rss feed
Author

QueenZeppelin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 316 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jan 05, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sure all of us here know the feeling.

I said in a recent post that "different music connects with different people on different levels."

And one of those levels is when a piece of music happens to connect with us so strongly and paints such an incredibly vivid emotion and portrait that...

We get the chills. Goosebumps.

My question is; which songs have (or do) give you the chills? Whether it be a Queen song or not, please share.

For me, the incredibly underrated song Hammer to Fall is an ultimate hair-raiser-especially during the guitar solo, and lines like "Baby, all our struggles are in vain" and "For we who grew up tall and proud/In the shadow of the mushroom cloud."

At the Live at Wembley version, the guitar part Brian May plays in between Freddie Mercury singing "in vain" and the guitar solo........that sheer heaviness, that emotion of that breif bridge.....they sounded like Van Halen at their ultimate. It was incredible. To me, Hammer to Fall live transforms Queen from a rock group to gods, masters of emotion, art and poetry.

I must also say that Somebody to Love never fails to connect with me on an incredible level. Especially the drum part in the middle "Find...me...somebody to loooove."

Any group that can mix emotion and talent like Queen can is a group that belongs in rock's superleague.

Other songs; Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who. Another band that combined sheer emotion with unbridled, unadulterated talent, Won't Get Fooled Again is their magnum opus. Very few songs rock out as hard or as passionately.

When the Levee Breaks by Led Zeppelin.....perhaps the only song along with Hammer to Fall that gives me chills the entire way through. From the opening carpet-bomb drum riff of John Bonham to Robert Plant's eerie harmonica to the mean, ominous power riff supplied by Jimmy Page, this song rocks and connects the entire way through.

Never again have I heard such aggessrion and emotion in Robert Plant's voice when he sings "Cryin' won't help ya/Cryin' won't do ya no good."

Queen & Bowie's Under Pressure...especially from Mercury's howl of "Why" onward.......those lyrics that Freddie delivers followed by Bowie's.....so emotional, so good, all building...truly genius.

And the power and feeling of U2's power ballad "Beautiful Day" never fails to send chills through me. A song with personal meaning that always affects me. "What you don't have/You don't need it now/What you don't know/You can feel somehow."
Others:
Foo Fighters, My Hero
Billy Joel, Piano Man
James Brown, Cold Sweat
The Beatles, Hey Jude
Nine Inch Nails, Hurt
Johnny Cash, Hurt (NIN cover)

"Have you ever seen or touched any monkeys?"
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 05, 13:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1. The Show Must Go On - QUEEN
The entire song gives me the chills, but particularly this line...
- "I'll face it with a grin, I'm never giving in, on with the show"

2. Dream On - AEROSMTIH
That part when Steven Tyler starts screaming. The older he gets, the better he does it.

3. Novemeber Rain - GUNS N' ROSES
The ending part of the song. It gives me even more the chills when you see Guns N' Roses performing the song while Slash is standing on top of the piano.

4. Kashmir - LED ZEPPELIN
The intro.

5. Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding - ELTON JOHN
The first part of the song is absolutely superb.

6. Sunday Bloody Sunday - U2

7. In My Life - THE BEATLES

8. One More Time - GEORGE MICHAEL

9. Don't Speak - NO DOUBT

10. Without You - MARIAH CAREY

---------------------------------------------

Other Queen songs...

Who Wants To Live Forever
You Take My Breath Away
Bohemian Rhapsody (the slow fading ending)
The March Of The Black Queen
Is This The World We Created (especially live)
Sail Away Sweet Sister

In My Defence (the Freddie Mercury solo song)

This last one has so much heart, soul, and energy from Freddie that is just simply breathtaking.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 05, 13:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen songs:

Days Of Our Lives
Bo Rhap
No-One But You

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 05, 13:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mother Love - Queen
Civil War - Guns N' Roses
One - U2
Why Don't We Try Again - Brian May
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - Led Zeppelin
Mother - Pink Floyd
Hurt - Johnny Cash
In My Defence - Freddie Mercury
Ruby Tuesday - The Rolling Stones
Have I Told You Lately - Rod Stewart
Estranged - Guns N' Roses

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

wesi72 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 173 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 05, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Show Must Go On - "My Soul is painted like the wings of butterflies"
Who Wants To Live Forever
Sail Away Sweet Sister
March Of The Black Queen

Other Stuff
Disney Girls (Beach Boys)
Warmth Of The Sun (Beach Boys)
For Everyman (Jackson Browne)
For A Dancer (Jackson Browne)
Scenes From An Italian Restaurant (Billy Joel)
Rock & Roll (Led Zep)
Cheers,
Andrew

Cheers,

Andrew
flash00 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 137 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 05, 14:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

show must go on,
who wants to live forever,
take my breath away,
billy squire-love is the hero(freddies intro amazing)
dont try so hard
mother love

pssttt....
Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 05, 14:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Show Must Go On - especially the beginning, but the rest of the song too

Love of My Life - Live (especially in Buenos Aires) when the cround starts to sing

No-One But You - "there's a face at the window, and I ain't never, never saying goodbye"

Mother Love - especially the deep voice in the beginning

Ride the Wild Wind - again the beginning and deep voice :-)

Who Wants To Live Forever - live, when sung like in Mannheim and Budapest (alternative melody in the end)

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
dave2005 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 144 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 05, 17:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My Life Has Been Saved
Mother Love
Show Must Go On
These Are the Days of Our Lives
In My Defence

That time will come, 1 day youll see, when we can all be friends
Awesome-O _4000 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 05, 19:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

someone said "my hero" by the Foo Fighters, I love that song.

Others that give me chills...

*ok, at the risk of sounding cliche: Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin.

*Another Zep: Black Dog

*Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here

*Tool: Eulogy

*Coldplay: The scientist

*Queen: Love of my Life (origional)

But probably the greatest of all is:

Queen: THE PROPHET'S SONG. When I first heard it I was blown away. But then again the entire album blows me away.

-Thungerbolt courtesy of God
boy of destiny user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 214 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 05, 00:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Biko.

foxxy_moron user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 618 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 05, 01:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Elton John - Candle in the Wind

Moulin Rouge - Roxanne Tango

Air Supply - Here I am, Making Love Out Of Nothing At All

REM - Imitation of Life

Paul Young - Come Back and Stay

Queen - Spread Your Wings BBC, White Queen, Teo Torriatte, Days of our Lives, Who Wants To Live Forever

All those songs make me cry...

~_*-+_Let us cling together as the years go by..._+-*_~
The King Of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2259 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 05, 03:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I will have to agree with Whisperer on this one.........that line in NOBY always did it for me......theres a face at the window, and we aint vever saying goodbye!.....MMM....powerful stuff!

I'll take you to the Seven Seas of Rhye

Posted: 25 Jan 05, 03:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

and I would have to add one other thing here....THe Seeker by The Who.....I love the music and I love the lyrics.....I asked Bobby Dylan, I asked the Beatles, I asked Timothy Leary, but he couldnt help me either!

Posted: 25 Jan 05, 03:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

and, also, one more......Bob Seger's Turn The Page (which Metallica does an excellent cover of, btw)...there I go, playing the Star again......The Star was apparently a club in Ann Arbor MI....in which city my mother grew up........and I live in the environs still.........hell, Seger is like an icon in the Detroit area

Mr.Jingles

Posted: 25 Jan 05, 03:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmmm, speaking of Metallica I forgot to mention a very important one.

Back in 1999 Metallica recorded the "S&M" album with their most famous tracks along with a full orchestra directed by the late Michael Kamen.
Some of the orchestral versions on the album sounded just awful, others not so bad and quite decent, while some others were very good.

Yet there was one version so awesome, powerful and spectacular that made the whole recording worth it, and that was "The Call Of Ktulu". I remember going to see Metallica playing with the orchestra here in NY at the Garden, and I was blown out of my mind when I listened the song. I still get chills down my spine when I listen to it.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Victoria user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 529 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 05, 03:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Non-Queen songs;
-Because, The Beatles: very haunting, Mozartish theme. The harmonies are mainly what do it, even the anthology's version of solely the vocals simply blow me away. It is a very beautiful song
-Revolution 9, The Beatles: simply because the phrase "number nine" actually does say what they say it does. I recorded myself on my computer, and freaked myself out. Creepy stuff.
-Lacrymosa, Mozart: He was dieing as he wrote this (but not for himself, he couldn't have afforded it), an unparalled work in classics

Queen songs:
-You Take My Breath Away: the expression Freddie puts into this song is so emotional. He achieves an expression in music that isn't always considered musical, an audible intake of breath before ..."you take my breath away". I love this song because it means so much to me, it is very close to my heart.
-Who Wants To Live Forever: such a sad song. I can't believe people cut out the end in the video for the last line "Who waits forever, anyway?" That final line is vital to the essence of the song.
-The Show Must Go On: even more sad than the latter. The lyrics are so moving and powerful, and Freddie sings it with such convition. Undenibly magnificent. This song out of all of these gives me the most chills.

*honk* *honk* - Harpo
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 25 Jan 05, 19:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Victoria wrote:

Non-Queen songs;
-Because, The Beatles: very haunting, Mozartish theme. The harmonies are mainly what do it, even the anthology's version of solely the vocals simply blow me away. It is a very beautiful song
-Revolution 9, The Beatles: simply because the phrase "number nine" actually does say what they say it does. I recorded myself on my computer, and freaked myself out. Creepy stuff.
-Lacrymosa, Mozart: He was dieing as he wrote this (but not for himself, he couldn't have afforded it), an unparalled work in classics

You're actually the first Beatles fan that I hear say to like Revolution 9.

I respect your opinion, but I think that's probably the worst Beatles song ever, and I know a lot of Beatles fans feel the same because it was more like a psychadelic experiment between John and Yoko.

Now, 'Because' is an awesome song. I actually heard once that the melody is the same as 'Moonlight Sonata' by Beethoven but played backwards.

Mr.Jingles

Posted: 25 Jan 05, 19:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To correct myself, courtesy of Stelios.

There's not a George Michael song called 'One More Time', but 'One More Try'. So that was my typo right there.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 05, 21:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't even BEGIN to answer this topic in full, But I can tell you two songs in particular that get me EVERY time... The Show Must Go On and These Are The Days Of Our Lives. There is something about these tracks that moves me to no end.

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
1quen_fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 339 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 05, 21:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Prbably, Tie Your Mother Down.

Fuck them darling, if they just don't get.

- Freddie Mercury