Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > First Impressions on Queen.

forum rss feed
Author

brian_may_wannabe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 560 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jan 05, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just woundering what was everyone's first impressions on Queen. When I first saw the Bohemian Rhapsody video in 1991, I thought, as a five-year-old, they were the weirdest group of people I've seen on TV at the time. What was your first impressions?

daniel.hughes

made_in_heaven (thats_what_they_day)
RohemianBapsody user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 560 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 05, 16:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When I saw the video of Bo-Rap I became an instant fan. The song was so original and different.

Keep Good Company
LivingGirl user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 242 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 05, 18:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The first song I heard was Bohemian Rhapsody,and oh my,I was impressed by their voices,by FM's voice.

ki o tsukete ne!take care!
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 05, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When I was in elementary school back in the 80s, I always wondered how come every single rock star of those days had long big hair, while Freddie was the only one who had a moustache.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
GivenToFly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 45 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 05, 18:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When I was 9 years old, my dad got this cd-box containing 3 classical arrangements from some kind of orchestra from three groups: the beatles, Queen and Abba I think. 1 group per CD. I really wasn't interested in music at that age actually, but for some sort of reason the Queen-cd got my direct attention. Can't explain it, it just did. So I went to the library (which I never did before) and got me a real album of them: AKOM. I was sold!! I can go on a little while about what happened next but I think it needs no explanation...
Greetz

Does anybody know what we are living for?
newcastle 86! 16483 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 05, 19:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

definately listenin to my sisters sheer haert attack album in 74! it sold me down the river ive been hooked ever since

martinjkstones
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 05, 22:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the first Queen song I heard was Another One Bites, I remember listening to it in some film or tv show when I was about five. But I didn`t know it was Queen. Same for Rockyou or Champions

I knew that there was a band called Queen, in fact my father had News Of The World on LP. When I listened Bo Rhap for the first time it didn`t surprise me, all my life I`d listen to music "like that" (in the matter of dramatic changes and complex harmonies) so I found it normal. In fact I had the "happy" thought that all music was like that

It didn`t change the fact I loved Bo Rhap from day one. I remember thinking it`d fit very well in Jesus Christ Superstar. Then I listened to Don`t Stop Me and like it even more. Some months later I bought ANATO one afternoon I went for totty without success, long story... then Jazz and then Races. Then (I confess) I downloaded the rest via www or copied it from relatives.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
DoctorNine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 213 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 05, 22:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wasn't really old enough to have a first impression on Queen, since I have been listening to Queen as long as I remember. It's kind of like what Joe Satriani said- I have been listening to Queen ever since I was a baby, with the exception of Queen videos- my parents didn't have any.

"What has it cost you? What have you won? The sins of the fathers are the sins of the sons; it was always within you, it will always continue, and it shouldn't surprise you at all." ~B. Joel
egret user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 109 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 05, 22:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My first impression, in the mid-70s, was that they were so much better than KISS.
--Egret

CutieQueenoftheNight user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 18 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 05, 22:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well when i saw freddie in the bo rhap video at age 10 my first impression was why the heck is he wearing nail polish? and wat the heck is he wearing, is he trying desperatly to look like a girl? that was when i had no interest in older ppl looking outragous. my mom got the greatest hits video at an blockbuster then, i was so anxious to see wat she brought home...that i watched it for hours.

"im a nobody...and when ur a nobody ur perfect..." freddie mercury, 1985. "i dont want a child...i rather have another cat!"
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 05, 23:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was intrigued when I first heard them, back in 1991. Then, when I became a fan, I wondered why they covered Elvis's 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love'.

Yes, I was young and naive at one point.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 05, 23:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Depends on your upbringing, I suppose.

foxxy_moron user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 618 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 05, 01:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My impression.. "oh god not them again!" but then i fell in love so it worked out allright.

~_*-+_Let us cling together as the years go by..._+-*_~
Lady Cool Cat user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 421 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 05, 09:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, when I was about 6 or 7, I was in the car and was listening to the radio. And it started playing Radio GaGa. But in the Radio GaGa, Radio BlaBla part, it was really loud. So, my sister thought the lyrics where funny, and sang them really loud just to bother me. So then, I thought, that is a really weird band,because those are really strange lyrics.

P.S. That was BEFORE I really knew that Queen played that song. Know, I know and love Queen, and I laugh at this incident, because I love the song RadioGaGa.

Friends Will Be Friends; Life without friends is like Rock n' Roll without Queen.

Pluto user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 778 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 05, 11:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My brother played bicycle race for me when i was 13 and for some god awful reason into boy bands. I heard the song and all i could think was damn there good. After that for about a year or so all i would listen to was queen.

I’ll kick and scream or kneel and bleed

I’ll fight like hell to hide that I’m giving up

-Bright Eyes

Another Travelin' Song
Las Palabras De Amor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 123 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 05, 14:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw the dedication to them on I Love The 70s. Yes I know, I know I'm not a "real" Queen fan. But anyways at that point I basically gave up on listening to the radio because all that was on there was rap. Then when they talked about Queen they showed a clip of them playing "Killer Queen" and I really liked the sound of that song. And little twelve year old "Punkrock/sclub7loving" idiot me thought, hey, this "Old People weird British guy music" sounds good! Meh, I got smarter soon.

NovemberQueen88 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 14 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 05, 15:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember the first Queen song I ever heard was Bo-Rap when I was watching Wayne's World. That was about 10 years ago. I told my mother to get "The Wayne's World" song for me (that's what I called it) and since then, I have dedicated my life to their music. I have a few different cds, but Queen over powers them by a long shot!! Long Live Queen!!

Victoria user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 529 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 05, 22:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My very first episode with Queen music was after my mother bought the blue GH album. The only reason it was bought was because of Bohemian Rhapsody. So she played it for me. I wasn't too captivated by the song only because she was singing along. I couldn't really concentrate because of that. She's embarrassing even when no one else is around. Anyhow, would occasionally listen to Bo Rhap cause I found out (on my own when I had the house to myself) that the louder you played it, the cooler it was! I didn't listen to any of the other songs because I wasn't patient enough to get past the first few seconds of any of the songs. Perhaps this is because AKOM is first (thought that it sounded gay *unfortunately, I was a naieve teenager*, and a little too 80's for me at the time) and then Under Pressure (which I recognized as some rip-off-jerk-who-thinks-adding-two-piano-notes-justifies-the-bass-line-as-a-new-song's opener *again, I was, unfortunately, a naieve teenager*. So for a few years, it was occasionally Bohemian Rhapsody, and that was it. Then as I was searching about on a music video website, and happened upon Bo Rhap. I noticed there were more videos, so I checked them out. I fell in love with The Show Must Go On. So now I would listen to two songs on the Classic album.

My revelation came to pass this last summer when I went on a tour of Europe with a wind ensemble and choir group. I met this wonderful guy who really got me into Queen. He said this one thing that really got me to listen to my album, "Fat Bottomed Girls is a great song." At the time I thought two things: 1. Glad to hear you think so (being that I myself am such) and 2. Hmm, never heard that song before. On our charter bus I borrowed this one kid's copy of the old Greatest Hits so I could hear the songs my guy had praised and to understand why some of the insane choir kids were prancing around chanting "bicycle, bicycle". I listened to the songs and thought "hmm, well, that was nice" and that was that. But I found that after the songs were over, I kept hearing them in my head. I had to hear them. I FINALLY listened to the entire blue album (as fate would have it I brought it along) and loved it. Thought that I'm Going Slightly Mad sounded an awful lot like Andrew Lloyd Weber. For a while it was my favorite.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

*honk* *honk* - Harpo
SergeantPepperDG user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1725 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 05, 22:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I heard Bohemian Rhapsody for the first time while I was driving from Chicago to upstate New York. Or maybe it was upstate New York to Chicago. Anyway, I was cranky and delirious and my legs were cramped after being in the car for so long. Bohemian Rhapsody was on the radio (it was the opera section), and I hated it and screamed at my brother to turn it off.

Hey, you'd be cranky too if you were stuck in a mini-van for fourteen hours.

Kay Adams Corleone- The ultimate desperate housewife
Monte: Liquorice Years user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 674 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 05, 00:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i loved them without knowing it was them!! i had always loved WWRY and WATC (i heard them on mighty ducks...) and i loved them! then i bought their GH and thats where my obsession...i mean liking...started! and my mum said i use to hum to somebody to love when i was a baby. so love at first...hearing

Cheer up emo kid!