Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Good Company....a bit of a question....

forum rss feed
Author

LadyMoonshineDown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 894 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jan 05, 20:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, so inside the record cover of ANATO, or on the CD sleeve, it says right under the lyrics for Good Company that there was a guitar jazz band by Brian.
However....
When I was playing that song for my friend, and told him it was all guitar, he didn't believe me.
Now....am I wrong? Or were all those weird, quirky noises actually from the guitar? I thought they were.....I'm pretty sure they are.
Cheers

"Today I saw an American flag flying at full mast and I was reassured--I knew someone....somewhere....was alive."
Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 05, 20:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, apart from the ukelele, it's all Brian. I recall seeing an article with Brian where he said it was all a matter of engineering as opposed to today where you could probably dial up a trombone or clarinet sound on a processor or pedal. It's sad, but whenever the guitar mags have their "greatest guitar albums", ANATO isn't mentioned. I can't think of an album where the guitar was taken in such a unique direction by a player. Good Company, though little known outside of early Queen fans, is every bit as groundbreaking as Bohemian Rhapsody.

You know, good times are now.
LadyMoonshineDown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 894 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 05, 20:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BHM 0271 wrote:

Yes, apart from the ukelele, it's all Brian. I recall seeing an article with Brian where he said it was all a matter of engineering as opposed to today where you could probably dial up a trombone or clarinet sound on a processor or pedal. It's sad, but whenever the guitar mags have their "greatest guitar albums", ANATO isn't mentioned. I can't think of an album where the guitar was taken in such a unique direction by a player. Good Company, though little known outside of early Queen fans, is every bit as groundbreaking as Bohemian Rhapsody.

I totally agree with you. We all know that Hendrix is praised with his unique sounds from his guitar. But think about a lot of songs by Queen (mainly early/70's Queen) and what noises come from that. It is crazy, and takes talent to say the least; the very least. *Sigh* The songs unheard by most of the so called "music-conscious" people (by Queen) are the ones that deserve the most praise.
Cheers

"Today I saw an American flag flying at full mast and I was reassured--I knew someone....somewhere....was alive."
Fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 889 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 05, 21:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BHM 0271 wrote:

Yes, apart from the ukelele, it's all Brian.

So who played ukelele? Spike Edney?

Posted: 27 Jan 05, 22:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian played ukelele. I meant that apart from the ukelele, the sounds were all from his guitar.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 05, 22:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are bass and drum in there as well you know.

> It is crazy, and takes talent to say the least

Imho there`s no such thing as "talent". It`s not that Brian got his ideas from air or God sent him the ability to play guitar like that. He made himself, the credit is to his own effort. And of course, in this case, to the producer and engineer without whom it couldn`t have been possible.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

Posted: 27 Jan 05, 23:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes there are bass and drums Sebastian, I gave people credit for figuring out those sounds weren't made by Brian's guitar though.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 05, 23:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You know, he sang, too. I'm sure his guitar didn't do that.

Sorry, just really poking fun at the pedantics here, not you.

But I'm still amazed that Brian hasn't gotten more credit than he ever has for his guitar orchestrations; amazing that Keith Richards can get so much plaudits for writing three notes for '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction', but Brian's work on the early Queen albums, where he was particularly creative, goes unnoticed.

Farlander user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 662 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 05, 23:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Imho there`s no such thing as "talent". It`s not that Brian got his ideas from air or God sent him the ability to play guitar like that. He made himself, the credit is to his own effort. And of course, in this case, to the producer and engineer without whom it couldn`t have been possible.

Of course there's such a thing as talent. Not every person has the same potential as everyone else in everything. It takes work to develop the talent, certainly, but many people could practice 8 hours a day for a twenty years and still never be able to play anywhere near as well as somebody like Brian.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 05, 00:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

finally a few people on this site know what the hell their talking about, good company is a great song.

Sebastian

Posted: 28 Jan 05, 01:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> Of course there's such a thing as talent. Not every person has the same potential as everyone else in everything. It takes work to develop the talent, certainly, but many people could practice 8 hours a day for a twenty years and still never be able to play anywhere near as well as somebody like Brian.

I disagree, but I also agree to disagree. I just give credit to Brian for the fact his expertise is owed entirely to him, not to any "gratuitious" pre-disposition.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 05, 01:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's a couple of times when you can guess that it's a guitar i.e. the muted trumpets sound too sweet and the trombones are a little damp but it's mind bogglingly amazing. My favouritest song on ANATO.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
trustno1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 05, 07:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

> Of course there's such a thing as talent. Not every person has the same potential as everyone else in everything. It takes work to develop the talent, certainly, but many people could practice 8 hours a day for a twenty years and still never be able to play anywhere near as well as somebody like Brian.

I disagree, but I also agree to disagree. I just give credit to Brian for the fact his expertise is owed entirely to him, not to any "gratuitious" pre-disposition.

Clearly, a lot of practise and thought went into Good Company, for example, but there has to be some 'pre-disposition' there so that all the accumulated knowledge and practise result in something musical. Good Company was the result of both talent and study. Anyone can learn anything if they really want to, but to use the knowledge creatively is what the talent part is about.

Koolkikiland user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 71 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 05, 08:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

Amazing that Keith Richards can get so much plaudits for writing three notes for '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction', but Brian's work on the early Queen albums, where he was particularly creative, goes unnoticed.

I could NOT agree more. That is so true its not even funny.

"Some day, one day. . . "

Freddie-B user not visiting Queenzone.com
Freddie-B
Deity: 2859 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 05, 09:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brilliant guitar work, the man's a genius.

Posted: 28 Jan 05, 10:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

> I disagree, but I also agree to disagree. I just give credit to Brian for the fact his expertise is owed entirely to him, not to any "gratuitious" pre-disposition.

So you're saying the only people who play guitar worse than Brian are people who have practiced less than he?

Sebastian

Posted: 28 Jan 05, 11:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Farlander wrote:

Sebastian wrote:

> I disagree, but I also agree to disagree. I just give credit to Brian for the fact his expertise is owed entirely to him, not to any "gratuitious" pre-disposition.

So you're saying the only people who play guitar worse than Brian are people who have practiced less than he?

Well, yes and no. There are lot of factors apart from practice. For example, it`s not about how many hours you spent a day, but how you use them. For instance, the fact Brian played piano as well probably helped him to have a more "orchestral" idea and applied it to guitar. When he started playing guitar he already played two other instruments so he wasn`t a "newer" in terms of, for instance, how the chords are named and stuff. His own concentration is something that affects everything he learns (cooking, driving, etc), his coordination, etc. A lot of factors, but I don`t believe in talent (explained as a God-given gift to do something well "just because"). But as I said I agree to disagree

Posted: 28 Jan 05, 11:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just out of curiosity, how do you explain Mozart, for example, who was able to perform keyboard works he heard his sister playing without ever having studied or practiced at all? Or those rare children who simply understand math that most math professors will never understand without ever having studied it? Surely talent can be thought of in the same way as intelligence - a part of an individual's nature. It is not there "just because" or because God performed some special miracle, but it is an attribute of the individual, perhaps with a genetic component, that is outside of environment or study.

Posted: 28 Jan 05, 12:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interesting theory of Sebastian's, but I believe in pre-disposed "talent." How do you explain a kid like Tiger Woods? Superior hand-eye coordination from an early age. It's 'there' from birth. Brian obviously had an amazing analytical mind early on (figuring out parts of Buddy Holly records), and that's a big part of his talent as an arranger. How would he practice that?

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 05, 12:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Of course, much of our abilities in life are learned, but I honestly think people have natural instincts for certain things better than others. But perhaps it's due to aspects of early upbringing and environment...

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca