Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Pink Floyd

forum rss feed
Author

NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Jan 05, 01:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As much as I like Queen, I always go back to Pink Floyd. Brian May and David Gilmour are both great guitarists. Nick Mason and Roger Taylor are the drummers whom get least recognition. John Deacon I compared to Rick Wright, the member of the band that is highly underrated. Freddie was like Syd Barrett then Roger Waters. Roger, like Freddie, was a fellow Virgo but Roger unlike Freddie became an egomaniacal tyrant whom threw people out of PF if they became lazy in his view.

"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 05, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You can make such links to most of bands... "John Lennon was genius and he's dead, Freddie was genius and he's dead too - wow!"

But anyway - Pink Floyd are great, "Dark side of the moon" is one of my fave album ever.

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 05, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love Pink Floyd, but I can't really draw the comparison between Freddie and Roger Waters, or even Syd Barrett for that matter. Roger was completely tyrannical, whereas Freddie was always quick to make the point that all four of them were equal to each other. But I can definitely see the comparision between Roger, John, Nick Mason and Rick Wright not getting the attention they deserve for their skills, though Nick and Rick are probably more underrated since Roger and John at least had their top singles.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

NOTWMEDDLE

Posted: 30 Jan 05, 15:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=#8A2BE2> Linda Of The Valley wrote:

I prefer Wish You Were Here..

The thing I don't like about their songs is the stuff they do at the start. Take the track Wish You Were Here for example. It's on looooads of the tracks on Dark Side Of The Moon..:(

What do they smoke when they write these songs?

The riff of WYWH came about when David Gilmour played it in the control room at Abbey Road Studio #3 and Roger was impressed that the two wrote the song. Drugs were not part of PF's diet after Syd Barrett went crazy.

"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 05, 18:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The famous infamous Roger`s quote from Q Magazine, November 1992:

"Well, anyway, I am one of the best five writers to come out of English music since the War."
- "Who would rank above you?"
"John Lennon. I'm trying to think... er, I can't think of anybody else. You see, I don't much like listening to records. I'm a bit isolationist and insular. I'd rather be fishing. The list of great writers is very, very short but I am definitely in it. Er, who else is there that's better than me? I really don't know. Freddie Mercury, maybe..."

More quotes like that coming soon in the next Bechstein Debauchery. Keep tuned.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 05, 18:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What does that have to do with Pink Floyd Sebastian :)

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
ægishjalmur user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 05, 19:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think they were mean...
They persecuted the keyboard player - didn't let him know when they were recording their albums because they thought he wasn't good! They'ra mean...

Ægishjálmur
akindofmagic user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 769 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 05, 19:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well, Floyd and Queen happen to be my two fav bands! There aren't very much in common. Freddie could had become a tiran but he choosed not. He even said he was«not the leader of the band, just the lead vocalist»! Roger is all that you don't want to have in a band.he even stoled songwriting credits of their (ex-)bandmates! Rick and John otherwise have lot in common. They were the quite guys, very underrated. both bands have reformed without their former leaders.

Awesome-O _4000 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 30 Jan 05, 21:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah... Roger Waters was/is very arrogant... however you have to give him credit, he wrote virtually all of Pink Floyd's lyrics (after Syd Barret's going off his tree, of course)

Pink Floyd and Queen are my two favorite bands as well... actually best connection I've found between the two bands is Brian May and David Gilmour. Both posess the two most unique guitar tembres i've ever heard. I consider both amazing by their sheer power to put emotion and feeling into the guitar- almost in a hypnotic way. Of course this is just one of many opinions- some find Gilmour boring...

Anyway, aside from that I fear they really don't have much in common... they were both VERY eccentric, but in different ways.

-Thungerbolt courtesy of God
impact user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 31 Jan 05, 03:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love the pink floyd nearly as much as i do queen.the difference though is in the attitudes both bands had towards music. If i feel dark and serious i will listen to the pink floyd and relax knowing i aint the only one who's pissed at the world.If however i am feeling on top of the world ( or want to ), i will go for the good old fashioned, sensory overload, happy ,positive, guitar crunchin' rock n roll that queen (thankfully) gave us.this takes me away from the unending drudgery of life.

impact user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 31 Jan 05, 03:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love the pink floyd nearly as much as i do queen.the difference though is in the attitudes both bands had towards music. If i feel dark and serious i will listen to the pink floyd and relax knowing i aint the only one who's pissed at the world.If however i am feeling on top of the world ( or want to ), i will go for the good old fashioned, sensory overload, happy ,positive, guitar crunchin' rock n roll that queen (thankfully) gave us.this takes me away from the unending drudgery of life.

Sebastian

Posted: 31 Jan 05, 04:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

The fact that it`s the member of one band mentioning a member of the other. Not a very big deal, but better than nothing

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
NOTWMEDDLE

Posted: 31 Jan 05, 14:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the_hero wrote:

Sebastian wrote:

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

The fact that it`s the member of one band mentioning a member of the other. Not a very big deal, but better than nothing

I love Pink Floyd. Too bad Mr Waters wanted all the credit since the wall album

It actually went back to Animals. Roger started shutting Rick Wright out of Pink Floyd hence why Rick did his solo album Wet Dream in 1978 and David Gilmour was shut out of Animals save Dogs and put out a solo effort of his own in 1978.

NOTWMEDDLE

Posted: 31 Jan 05, 14:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=#8A2BE2> Linda Of The Valley wrote:

I meant just the start of it where the people are talking....and all those tracks on DSOTM...

Roger came up with the idea at a band meeting at drummer Nick Mason's kitchen about using human voices as segues on the songs. Paul and Linda McCartney actually took part but were unusable so their guitarist in Wings Henry McCullough replied to a question about getting angry with "I don't know I was really drunk at the time".

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 31 Jan 05, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wywh absolutely beats dsotm into a soggy mess

go deo na h√Čireann
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 31 Jan 05, 15:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NOTWMEDDLE wrote:

It actually went back to Animals. Roger started shutting Rick Wright out of Pink Floyd hence why Rick did his solo album Wet Dream in 1978 and David Gilmour was shut out of Animals save Dogs and put out a solo effort of his own in 1978.

Didn't he also have an uncredited hand in writing 'Sheep'?

sexmachine user not visiting Queenzone.com
ready to reload
sexmachine
Bohemian: 466 posts

Posted: 31 Jan 05, 16:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think john deacon could be compared to syd barrett.
shine on you crazy diamond,john and,wish you were here.

Picture yourself in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
akindofmagic user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 769 posts

Posted: 31 Jan 05, 22:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

NOTWMEDDLE wrote:

Didn't he also have an uncredited hand in writing 'Sheep'?

Yep. David Claims to write 70% of the music on Sheep. But it is not the only ting. ABITWpt2,Hey You, Is there anybody out there and other seems to have other songwriters that just Roger(David, producer Bob Ezrin,etc..)!

lyricalassasin77 user not visiting Queenzone.com
lyricalassasin77
Bohemian: 435 posts

Posted: 01 Feb 05, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

The famous infamous Roger`s quote from Q Magazine, November 1992:

"Well, anyway, I am one of the best five writers to come out of English music since the War."
- "Who would rank above you?"
"John Lennon. I'm trying to think... er, I can't think of anybody else. You see, I don't much like listening to records. I'm a bit isolationist and insular. I'd rather be fishing. The list of great writers is very, very short but I am definitely in it. Er, who else is there that's better than me? I really don't know. Freddie Mercury, maybe..."

More quotes like that coming soon in the next Bechstein Debauchery. Keep tuned.

Roger really said that?? If he did he sure is a conceded fuck isn't he?...........Peace

Dislocate your spine if you don't sign.....He say's I'll have you seeing double
Sebastian

Posted: 01 Feb 05, 21:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes Roger did say that. The quote sounds a little big-headed, but it`s quite right as well. Anyway, imo, there`s no way Fred ranks higher than Roger in songwritting.