Forums > Personal > electric guitars

forum rss feed
Author

legends never die! user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 73 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Feb 05, 13:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hi i want to learn how to play the electric guitar (inspired by brian may) and lessons will cost a bomb so im going to save up to buy the guitar and try to teach myself. has anyone else done this? and can anyone give me tips? and i play the acoustic guitar, if that will make it easier!

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 01 Feb 05, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not really.

The problem is that you've already learnt the information one way, and now need to reverse hands in order to play an electric guitar.

Unless you cheat and restring it upside down.

David Jones user not visiting Queenzone.com
David Jones
Deity: 2469 posts

Posted: 01 Feb 05, 14:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I taught myself to play guitar, but I could already play the piano so had some musical knowledge. You just need a good book and perseverance really...

"Freddie would have loved it" - Brian May
Hitman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2217 posts

Posted: 01 Feb 05, 17:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

my opinion is that if you just want to play some riffs you listen you can do that "free" with internet lessons and TABS.

BUT if you want to learn how to play electric guitars i suggest you to spend some money with a good teacher (i said good)
if it's too expensive try going once for 2 weeks...but you'll save time learning and you'll have greater results...
you don't have to spend 10 years of your life with a teacher..in a couple of years you'll be a more than decent guitarist ;)
a teacher is also a good instrument to proof how much are you interested in playing the instrument...if you give up after 30 minutes you can change hobby!

Anything too stupid to be said... is sung.
englishyob user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 526 posts

Posted: 01 Feb 05, 17:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I’ve self taught myself its been hard and I’m still crap but its just a hobbies for me and im not that bothed

But if you can find a full download of the program get it
http://www.guitar-pro.com/index.php

Looks like you can get it from kazaa

Then you can download load of lessons and songs from here
http://www.mysongbook.com/hp-home.htm

Did my play the world of good

And matt you are so wrong there is more to electric guitar then just bar chords, or power chords and Penetration_Guru I don’t have a clue what your going on about, but I have seen people string they guitars back to front for some strange reason

Steve Vai user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 149 posts

Posted: 01 Feb 05, 17:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've self taught myself for two years now. It takes more self-perseverence and practice, lots of practice, but its still possible!

I think Hitman above mentioned tabs, just look on the internet for tabs to songs but beware, they are not always acurate. Treat those as guidelines...

Go for power chord type things first, then move on to more complex things.

David Jones

Posted: 01 Feb 05, 17:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It depends on yourself. If you feel your progressing well on your own, theres no need for lessons, whereas if you have trouble some lessons may be helpful...

Posted: 02 Feb 05, 10:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wow thanks so much for the help!
problem is im at the last year and a half at school so i dont know if ill have the time to practise as much as i want to. maybe ill try, but geese lessons would cost like 15 sterling (around, i converted it) for like an hour a week so i dunno, personally i think its a rip off, plus... i dont have that kind of pocket money!

Posted: 02 Feb 05, 14:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, i still suggest teaching yourself. Like M@tt said above, they been playin for 20 years, and never read a tab! Which kinda backs up my statement - "Treat tabs as a guideline..."

If you dont practice much, you'll just progress slower. And if you self teach yourself, if exams and stuff at school get too much, you can just put the guitar on hold until you can cope again, but with lessons, you HAVE to go... or quit. Which isn't very helpful.

If you teach yourself, you can go at your own pace. You can't really get worse, you just progress at different speeds, so... TEACH YOURSELF! At least for now...

David Jones

Posted: 02 Feb 05, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I started playing guitar in my second to last year of school and still found time in the last year... You will find time and learn it if you have the determination. Its a good escape from your revision and work and you get to express yourself too!...

I'm always dubious about the progress I've made myself in the three four years or so, but people tell me I'm pretty good and I have learned to play what I wanted to play, so I'm happy...

If you wanna go to a teacher, I would try and find a modern one who teaches you to play what you want (eg Queen!) rather than classical stuff... But if you wanna get into all the scales and technical side of it, you probably will have to learn classical stuff...

Like I said it depends on you!

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 02 Feb 05, 16:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SOmeone who can already play the guitar asks if it's hard to learn and you wonder what I'm talking about?

Hook, line, sinker, copy of angling times, little folding chair...

Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts

Posted: 02 Feb 05, 17:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Penetration_Guru wrote:

Hook, line, sinker, copy of angling times, little folding chair...

If you could also explain this I would appreciate it too. It went way over my head and I apologize in advance.

Anyway, acoustic guitar is not harder than electric guitar, as while acoustic guitar is not nearly as versatile as it's electric cousin. However, I will admit that it is several times easier to "sound good" with less experience while using an electric guitar to an acoustic. But in the long one, neither is "more difficult."

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 02 Feb 05, 18:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For fuck's sake people, PG was having a wind up! He was deliberately speaking bullshit.

And the "hook, line and sinker..." reference (with a stolen embelishment from Red Dwarf) refers to the fact that he 'caught' you with his joke. You were fished-in.

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.

Posted: 03 Feb 05, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think ill go for teaching myself cos its true, with exams and everything its much easier since i can go at my own pace. so what do i need, a good book?

Posted: 03 Feb 05, 17:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not really a book... I mean you could get a book, but i've never really found them all that useful. You might want a general guitar book to teach you tricks like bending and hammer-ons etc., but I suggest good ol' tabs.

Like I said though, they aren't all that reliable. Don't depend on them, just think of them as guidelines...

Learning to read tabs won't take that long, but if you don't get the hang of it, post a tab on here and i'll explain it for you. I'm sure there are plenty of other people here who will explain it too...

englishyob user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 526 posts

Posted: 03 Feb 05, 18:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As Dave Baksh (from Sub 41) say :

Q. Any tips for your fans?

A. Get past the three chords and learn some Metallica, Megadeth and Anthrax. That goes for any instrument. Put some effort into the riffs you write!!!

Take from the http://www.jimdunlop.com site

Teach yourself. That way you get your own style of playing

jasen101 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 03 Feb 05, 19:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've been playing guitar for over ten years now....the best way to learn is to play the stuff you love! That's it.

Freddie: "Yes, we'll have a great big cock fly over the crowd!"

Roadies: "Yeah! Great Idea!"

Freddie: "And it will fly into a great big mouth with a moustache!"

Posted: 04 Feb 05, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

aha i want to have my own style, thats what im really after.

i havent really learnt how to read tabs yet, can, but i gotta stop and think! but if i cant ill post it on the site thanks!!

Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 05, 22:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jasen101 wrote:

I've been playing guitar for over ten years now....the best way to learn is to play the stuff you love! That's it.

Well, I never thought I would say this, but I agree 100% with what jasen101 just said.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 05, 17:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Music Man wrote:

jasen101 wrote:

Well, I never thought I would say this, but I agree 100% with what jasen101 just said.

Same here. Ive been playing for 13 years, self taught. Love it.

Chom own mudder fukker.