forum rss feed
Author

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Feb 05, 05:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i've heard a couple of little niggles lately about this great song - i think one was during the "making of " bbc docu where Brian is beginning to play down the greatness of the song...and also he's "bigging up" his part in it....

i'm beginning to think he's trying to rewrite history a little. and now i'm convinced of it - and worse still i think it's through petty jealously - because he didn't "create" queen's finest moment

read this month's "UNCUT" mag and tell me he's just not-so-ever-so-slightly starting to belittle this great song....what next Bri? WWRY is queen's defining moment? and Bo Rhap just a bit part?

go deo na hÉireann
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 05, 09:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How about telling us the part you're talking about so we can listen for ourselves. I don't remember anything bad about it.

Peace,
Adam.

brENsKi

Posted: 05 Feb 05, 10:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

as i said they were just "niggles" in the bo rhap story - - i felt he was trying to take credit for huge chunks of the song - esp as he said " the other three did the backing track and then Fred left him to fill in all the guitar parts" - surely the song-writer would be "directing traffic" - esp THAT early in queen's career....

but here's the latest niggle from UNCUT magazine

Did Bohemian Rhapsody change everything?
Brian: quite honestly bo rap wasn't that big a deal to us. It was a pivotal momment for us. But it was one of many, many pivotal moments.

go deo na hÉireann
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 05 Feb 05, 11:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't see it. Sorry. Especially not that second quote.

peace,
Adam.

brENsKi

Posted: 05 Feb 05, 11:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

I don't see it. Sorry. Especially not that second quote.

peace,
Adam.

sorry Adam - what DON'T you see? that 2nd quote os from this month's UNCUT magazine

it also heavily promotes the new queen - ie for their tour - but those comments re Bo-Rap not being a big deal are fairly astounding - is brian trying to understate Queen's (and Freddie's) greatest song - and the song that consistently tops world-wide greatest song polls? - why is that? i think he's jealous of that song

go deo na hÉireann
Hank H. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 738 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 05, 12:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Without knowing the context of this utterance, it sounds to me as if he is talking about the feelings they had when they recorded the song. It's perfectly understandable that recording Bo Rhap was not a life-changing experience, since they already had equally complex songs in their repertoire. No jealousy there for me.

"I'm a great believer in actually NOT giving people what they want"

Brian May, 11 March 05
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 05 Feb 05, 12:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What I meant by not seeing what you're talking about, is that it sounds like it refers to the band's usual stance. Freddie's comment at the end of the BBC docu states a more direct response about it, i.e. belongs to a different era, a different time and that's over. So why would they say any different from their usual response.

No need to get heated about it! lol

Peace,
Adam.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 05, 12:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perhaps the royalty thing did affect Brian, moe in terms of respect and admiration than money, and that`s why he took credit of I Want It All, for instance, it can be possible. I mean Brian`s a great person but as nearly everyone, he`s got some flaws, his is to be falsly modest and subtly claim himself as a hero. IMHO.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
brENsKi

Posted: 05 Feb 05, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

What I meant by not seeing what you're talking about, is that it sounds like it refers to the band's usual stance. Freddie's comment at the end of the BBC docu states a more direct response about it, i.e. belongs to a different era, a different time and that's over. So why would they say any different from their usual response.

Peace,
Adam.

sorry Adam, wasn't getting heated
but the question was clearly :

and Brian's response was:
"quite honestly bo rap wasn't that big a deal to us. It was a pivotal momment for us. But it was one of many, many pivotal moments."

now to my mind - as the interviewer is asking if the song changed everything, then Brian's trying to say it didn't...well of course it did!!! and that makes him a little jealoous in my book

it smacks a little of Mccartney's (god love and respect him) attempt last year to get all the writing credits changed ffrom Lennon/McCartney to Mccartney/Lennon

- on the surface it doesn't change much, but when you look below the surface it is a little bit of inferiority andjealousy slipping through - brian can't change the past - but he is trying to alter the populist view of that past - but it don't wash with me.

go deo na hÉireann
brENsKi

Posted: 05 Feb 05, 13:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

Peace,
Adam.

"quite honestly bo rap wasn't that big a deal to us. It was a pivotal momment for us. But it was one of many, many pivotal moments."

now to my mind - as the interviewer is asking if the song changed everything, then Brian's trying to say it didn't...well of course it did!!! and that makes him a little jealoous in my book

it smacks a little of Mccartney's (god love and respect him) attempt last year to get all the writing credits changed ffrom Lennon/McCartney to Mccartney/Lennon

- on the surface it doesn't change much, but when you look below the surface it is a little bit of inferiority andjealousy slipping through - brian can't change the past - but he is trying to alter the populist view of that past - but it don't wash with me.

oops double post - apols

go deo na hÉireann
Mr. Farenheit user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 05, 14:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<B><font color=#ff7f00>Brenski</B> wrote:

Adam Baboolal wrote:

Peace,
Adam.

Well....the truth is it DIDNT "change everything"...you may want to pin some mystical historical signficance to the song....but it really has none. Its a great song....interesting...and unique in its time.....but so what? Pop music in general....is incredibly easy to compose....for a musician. Non-musicians dont realize this. For him to say "not a huge deal"....is him being honest. Its just another pop/rock and roll song....although a bit longer than most....and it has some operatic stuff thrown in the middle. It AINT that big a deal. Fun song? Yes. Classic Queen? Yes. Important in the grand scheme of things? Nope.

Sebastian

Posted: 05 Feb 05, 14:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree. Bo Rhap is unique and imo very important historically, but still it didn`t change everything. How many Bo Rhap-like pieces do you find in the radio today? Or any year?

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 05, 14:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So just because Brian mentions that he wrote the guitar parts on Boh Rap does it mean that he's a cocky and arrogant?

C'mon people! Freddie and Roy Thomas Baker have also mentioned that Brian indeed wrote those guitar parts. Is it a problem if Brian just mentions it again?

Bohemian Rhapsody was perhaps Queen's finest moment, but arguably there were other great moments as well (which were as big, or perhaps even bigger) and I think that what Brian meant is that 'Bohemian Rhapsody' is not seen by Queen as their finest moment as "one hit-wonders" enjoy their moment of popularity with one single song.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
ernie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 104 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 05, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well it wasn't easy to compose, freddie himself said it wasn't easy...and i really can't think of any songs like bo rhap on the radio right now and even if there were, would they be memorable? probably not

Fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 889 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 05, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought Bo Rhap finally established Queen as a professional band. If I understand correctly, they would have been just about bankrupt if the single hadn't worked. Sounds like a very important pivotal point to me! No Bo Rhap= possibly no more Queen.

brENsKi

Posted: 05 Feb 05, 16:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

I agree. Bo Rhap is unique and imo very important historically, but still it didn`t change everything. How many Bo Rhap-like pieces do you find in the radio today? Or any year?

yeah but queen were on the verge of financial ruin....they had been "ripped off by their management" changed managers, and went against EMIs recommendation adn decided to release the single in it's entirety - EMI wanted to edit it - and the gamble certainly did change eveything...had it not worked they wouldn't have been the major act they are/were....as it was - it was THE defining moment - when the band became global

go deo na hÉireann
Sebastian

Posted: 05 Feb 05, 18:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The band was already famous in Europe and the States, and of course UK. Killer Queen had been #2. Bo Rhap was certainly their biggest hit but the band would have certainly survived without it. Not with the same success of course, but they would have survived.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 05 Feb 05, 19:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I need to read these comments in context to really understand what this is all about. It's just not clear enough. A big moment for Queen? Or is it for music in general? Need to read it.

Peace,
Adam.

ryancoke user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 202 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 05, 03:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<B><font color=#ff7f00>Brenski</B> wrote:

as i said they were just "niggles" in the bo rhap story - - i felt he was trying to take credit for huge chunks of the song - esp as he said " the other three did the backing track and then Fred left him to fill in all the guitar parts" - surely the song-writer would be "directing traffic" - esp THAT early in queen's career....

but here's the latest niggle from UNCUT magazine

Brian: quite honestly bo rap wasn't that big a deal to us. It was a pivotal momment for us. But it was one of many, many pivotal moments.

You know what? Sod off! The past few comments I've read of yours have all been ones of negativity or bringing down of Queen. The song wasn't a big deal to them, but it meant a shitload to the public. Is that really something to turn against Brian? If you want to critique something, why don't you assess your habit of jumping to conclusions so quickly with the band that you clearly aren't understanding.

Give us the right key, f#@! sakes...
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 05, 05:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No need to become rude, it's just a discussion, ryancoke.

I agree with those who think that BoRhap made all the difference. It turned an averagely successful band into a household name over night. Everybody knows Bohemian Rhapsody and it made Queen huge stars.

I don't think that Brian wants to downplay the role of BoRhap for the band's career or he would not have taken part in the recent BBC documentary about the song. Maybe the quote in the Uncut mag was a misunderstanding.

I do not want any google ads here.