Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Freddie's cigarettes

forum rss feed
Author

Padre Wu user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 12 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Feb 05, 05:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Do you think cigarettes had influence on Freddie's voice?

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 08 Feb 05, 09:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes.

As I remember he smoked light and very mild cigarettes, I can search for the title - I have it somewhere in my computer.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 08 Feb 05, 11:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Alcohol and cigarettes are technically a no-no if you want to maintain your voice. Obviously Fred paid no mind to that advice - swigging vodka on his last recording sessions and whatnot. But hey - he was still the best singer around, so yeah

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Sonja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 08 Feb 05, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

Alcohol and cigarettes are technically a no-no if you want to maintain your voice. Obviously Fred paid no mind to that advice - swigging vodka on his last recording sessions and whatnot. But hey - he was still the best singer around, so yeah

He had quit smoking a few years before he died though.
In one of the books (either Phoebe's or Jim's) it says that he also needed something to play around with his hands, he couldn't keep them still and that was another reason for his smoking.

"This world may be another planet's hell."

- Aldous Huxley
Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 08 Feb 05, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He smoked Marlboro most of the time... not quite light and not quite mild!

My Melancholy Blues user not visiting Queenzone.com
My Melancholy Blues
Royalty: 1039 posts

Posted: 08 Feb 05, 14:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Certainly he smoked in '80s, otoh he paid some attention to the voice condition in his way...at teatime he poured too much honey into the tea. I read it in a magazine reporting Japanese concerts in '80s.

Je vais bien.

Estoy bien.

Posted: 09 Feb 05, 09:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jeroen wrote:

He didn't smoke Marlboro. I know what he smoked because Jacky Smith told me, and Jacky Smith, if you don't know, knew Fred personally and answers such questions for the last 20 years!

Posted: 09 Feb 05, 09:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, that makes me either blind of just full of shit, then!
Okay, he didn't smoke Marlboro.
Whatever!

brian_may_wannabe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 560 posts

Posted: 09 Feb 05, 10:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cloud9 wrote:

On an interview once Freddie said he likes his voice husky and that's caused by cigarettes.

What interview is that?

daniel.hughes

made_in_heaven (thats_what_they_day)
Haystacks Calhoun user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1550 posts

Posted: 09 Feb 05, 12:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He smoked Camel non-filters, and Lucky Strikes.

LSMFT

"Not a fan of the ladies, are you Trebek?"

Sean Connery
onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 10 Feb 05, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry Funster wrote:

jeroen wrote:

He didn't smoke Marlboro. I know what he smoked because Jacky Smith told me, and Jacky Smith, if you don't know, knew Fred personally and answers such questions for the last 20 years!

He DID smoke Marlboro Menthol (with the green label) cigarettes.. there is a picture of him during the Mr bad guy press conference where you can clearly see a pack of Marlboro cigarettes...

mr bad guy 5656 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 143 posts

Posted: 10 Feb 05, 12:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie smoked Marlboro, but not to often. His favourite was Silk Cut, no doubt about that.

Maybe he varied with some other brands, I don't know..but SC en Marlboro were his fav brands.

But...when did Freddie start smoking?
Ha!
I don't know. Did he smoke in the seventies, did he start at art school, or in New York ('80,'82)

x!

redyfredy01 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 141 posts

Posted: 10 Feb 05, 16:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think that freddie really breathed the smoke in. I think they were only for a "cool apperence" because if he really sucked it into his lungs then he wouldn't have been able to carry that beautiful voice for that long.

I am not obsessed, I just have a one-track mind. (Obessed people go to counceling.)
~Blue_Acid~ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 10 Feb 05, 16:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie smoked yea and it influenced his voice. Compare his live voice in the 70's to the 80's real big horrible diffrence. And he had to have quit once he found out he had aids cause that speeds up the virus and will kill u faster.

"Im going to pull an Elvis Costello, but the chorus of this song goes What the hell are we fighting for..."

-Brian May 3/20/06 Pittsburgh @ the Mellon Arena before Hammer To Fall

Posted: 10 Feb 05, 17:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

redyfredy01 wrote:

I don't think that freddie really breathed the smoke in. I think they were only for a "cool apperence" because if he really sucked it into his lungs then he wouldn't have been able to carry that beautiful voice for that long.

Obviously you are not a smoker yourself! ;-)
You can clearly see the difference, in the smoke that leaves the mouth, if a person had the smoke in his lungs or not. Trust me as a professional smoker: watching the footage in which he smokes, Freddie DID smoke over his lungs!

;-)

Posted: 11 Feb 05, 07:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=gold> Dennis tm wrote:

Serry Funster wrote:

jeroen wrote:

I think your getting to personal.

No I didn't. I wrote "he smoked light and mild cigarettes" and Jeroen replied me "He smoked Marlboro most of the time... not quite light and not quite mild" - so I think Jeroen tryed to get it personal. As I said: Jacky Smith me told what Fred smoked! I ain't Freddie's friend or assistant and I didn't buy cigarettes for him - I just wrote what I know. That's it.

Posted: 11 Feb 05, 08:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So did I! At that time I wasn't trying to get personal at all! It was just a remark in general. Just to take away the thought he smokes 'light and mild' only. Obviously you took that personally, but that's fine with me.
But stating Freddie did NOT smoke Marlboro is just plain false! Plenty of mid-80's pictures and backstage/interview footage to prove that.

Posted: 11 Feb 05, 09:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jeroen wrote:

But stating Freddie did NOT smoke Marlboro is just plain false! Plenty of mid-80's pictures and backstage/interview footage to prove that.

As well as writing that he didn't smoke mild and light cigarettes. Someone before already wrote (I think it was Mr Bad Guy) that Fred didn't smoke Marlboro too often. And again: please write to Mrs Jacky Smith that she's wrong, not to me!

Calm down, jeroen!

Posted: 11 Feb 05, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jesus! Who's taking stuff personally here!? Calm down?? I WAS calm! Why are you making such a fuss? As far as I'm concerned there is not a problem whatsoever. I even wrote that in my previous post! You probably didn't understand the intended tone of my words, but I don't know which other words to use. Sorry!

But maybe you should read a bit more careful too; I NEVER said that Freddie did NOT smoke light and/or mild cigarettes! I never said you were wrong! I just said 'he smoked Marlboro's' (I never said he smoked Marlboro SOLELY) and that MARLBORO's are not quite mild and not quite light. Because they (they = Marlboro's!) are one of the heaviest brands around.

This is so typical to Queenzone nowadays. The source of fights in here is not reading properly, perception and interpretation. Hostility is in he eye of the beholder most of the time. The people in here that are not hostile are accused of being so anyway. Because there are quite some pricks around people EXPECT all of us to be hostile and start putting the wrong weight into people's words.

Once and for all: I was not BEING personal in the beginning, I was not TAKING anything personal =until your previous post of course= and I was NOT trying to be hostile nor defensive. The only thing that bothered me is that you said Freddie did NOT smoke Marlboro's AT ALL, while there is plenty of evidence that he DID! =Amongst other brands, sure! I don't stick to one brand exclusively either! And if he smoked those light and mild ones MORE then Marlboro's, I believe you too=
Come on, I'm just your average Joe and I most certainly don't want to pick a fight over a pack of cigarettes!

And I am not GOING to either! Now, come on and let's smoke a fag together! ;-)

Queenrocks4579 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 129 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 05, 17:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah its cigarettes who really cares god and everyone wonders why people get mad at them when they talk about stupid topics

I good friend would be their to bail you out of jail...but a best friend would be there saying that was fuckin awsome!