Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Freddie Tribute Concert

forum rss feed
Author

brian_may_wannabe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 560 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Feb 05, 15:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Watching the Freddie Tribute Concert recently and I was just woundering why they didn't have the full show, rather than have the intro from Roger, John and Brian and then cut to the last 90 minutes of the show.

For those who don't know what I'm on about, in the show there were performances from Metallica, Def Leppard, Guns N Roses and Extreme and a speech from Elizabeth Taylor, before going into people singing the Queen songs.

Hope the full show comes on DVD soon.

I was just woundering if any of you lot felt the same.

daniel.hughes

made_in_heaven (thats_what_they_day)
bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 10 Feb 05, 15:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'll probably get criticised for saying this but I'd rather they didn't....

At the end of the day it is a concert full of guest artists covering Queen tracks and doing a generally poor show....

Posted: 10 Feb 05, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Never thought the show was that bad, it's a great way to pay tribute to a great singer who has inspired a lot of artists. I just wished they released the whole show on DVD. That's all. I was nearly six when they did the show and just want to see the whole show and how each artist payed their tributes to Freddie.

daniel.hughes

Queen& user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 562 posts

Posted: 10 Feb 05, 16:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brian_may_wannabe wrote:

Never thought the show was that bad, it's a great way to pay tribute to a great singer who has inspired a lot of artists. I just wished they released the whole show on DVD. That's all. I was nearly six when they did the show and just want to see the whole show and how each artist payed their tributes to Freddie.

u can get it on vid but theres stuff still missing

Paddy Can You Hear Me Now

Phoenix Nights Series 1

Posted: 10 Feb 05, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

matthew poulter wrote:

brian_may_wannabe wrote:

Where can I find it.

I've got the one where people like David Bowie and Axl Rose and all that singing Queen songs. Just want to see the bands before Queen comes on and the Liz Taylor speech with them?

Is it on ebay?

daniel.hughes

English Bowman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 82 posts

Posted: 10 Feb 05, 17:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They didn't release the whole show due to copyright reasons. I got my mum to tape it off the telly (I was there) so I have an old VHS tape of the whole show. As far as I know this is the only way to get the whole show.

Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 10 Feb 05, 17:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

English Bowman wrote:

They didn't release the whole show due to copyright reasons. I got my mum to tape it off the telly (I was there) so I have an old VHS tape of the whole show. As far as I know this is the only way to get the whole show.

Was there too and ive got it taped off TV. Tony Wilson and Lisa Ianson doing a shite job of presenting, But at least I have the whole gig.

Chom own mudder fukker.
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 10 Feb 05, 20:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Compared to Freddie Mercury, of course no one was close to his range (except for George Michael).
However, I think that the majority of the performers gave great performances in their own style.

Can't blame them for not being as big as Freddie.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 05, 09:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brian_may_wannabe wrote:

matthew poulter wrote:

brian_may_wannabe wrote:

Where can I find it.

I've got the one where people like David Bowie and Axl Rose and all that singing Queen songs. Just want to see the bands before Queen comes on and the Liz Taylor speech with them?

Is it on ebay?

Guys, I wonder if you ever check Queen's videography! There's an official VHS with full concert on it(except Innuendo by R. Plant and Spinal Tap songs).

Posted: 11 Feb 05, 09:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry Funster wrote:

brian_may_wannabe wrote:

matthew poulter wrote:

brian_may_wannabe wrote:

Where can I find it.

Is it on ebay?

Guys, I wonder if you ever check Queen's videography! There's an official VHS with full concert on it(except Innuendo by R. Plant and Spinal Tap songs).

What's the website of the videography?

daniel.hughes

Posted: 11 Feb 05, 09:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.ultimatequeen.co.uk
http://www.pcpki.com/queen/discography/queenvideos.html

And many others!

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 05, 09:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles79 wrote:

Compared to Freddie Mercury, of course no one was close to his range (except for George Michael).
However, I think that the majority of the performers gave great performances in their own style.

Can't blame them for not being as big as Freddie.
Well said.

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Freddie F user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 53 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 05, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think each band who played at Wembley will re-release its performances one day on separate DVD anthologies, but that means you'll have to buy a Metallica DVD, an Extreme DVD, a Def Leppard DVD, a G'n'R DVD, and God knows what else... They must have found an arrangement with the Queen management.
For the "Queen +"-show itself, I'd say the whole performance was correct (Brian, Roger and John were really great), there were highs and lows, but the intention was there; of course, no-one could match Freddie, and this show was actually intended to prove it. "Innuendo" by Robert Plant could have been vocally overdubbed by Percy himself for the VHS release, but it would have been dishonest and that's why they left it on the cutting room floor. Pity Roger didn't have the time to sing "A Kind Of Magic" and Chris Thompson "Breakthru"...
By the way, two guys from the German band Scorpions can be seen on stage during the "We Are The Champions" finale: were they intended to play something or were they just there just as backstage guests?

great king rat 1138 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 756 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 05, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry Funster wrote:

brian_may_wannabe wrote:

matthew poulter wrote:

brian_may_wannabe wrote:

Where can I find it.

Is it on ebay?

If you check the official video, it cuts some of the extreme set and the vast majority of def leppard's. I recorded it off the telly and recently transferred it to dvd (minus tony wilson and lisa ianson) so at least I've got all the music now!

"I'll probably make loads of plans, and then just sit around on my bottom all day long and do nothing." The Man In The Shadows says it like it is.

http://www.myspace.com/petearnold

Posted: 11 Feb 05, 17:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

great king rat 1138 wrote:

Serry Funster wrote:

brian_may_wannabe wrote:

matthew poulter wrote:

brian_may_wannabe wrote:

Where can I find it.

Is it on ebay?

If you check the official video, it cuts some of the extreme set and the vast majority of def leppard's. I recorded it off the telly and recently transferred it to dvd (minus tony wilson and lisa ianson) so at least I've got all the music now!

Yes, you're right. I just don't remember all edits exaclty, but anyway VHS is much better than DVD version.

PhoenixRising user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 99 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 05, 17:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have both the VHS and DVD of the concert.

I had a suspicion there were 'missing performances' when I saw Billy Squier, Bob Geldof,and others at the end of the show during "We Are The Champions."

"I'm not a heavily spiritual person, but when I'm in the studio, I can hear Fred saying, 'No, c'mon, you can do better than that,' and that lifts me and makes me work better." -Brian May

Posted: 11 Feb 05, 18:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Billy Squier didn't play on this show.
Bob sung a song that he wrote with Freddie as he said.

RMT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 621 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 05, 19:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scorpions were there in case Axl and co pulled the plug on their set apparently. I didn't realise CT was to sing 'Breakthru'! That yould have been interesting, and RMT singing AKOM would have been worthwhile also.

"Tangerine wishes, rainbows that colour the love parade"

Posted: 12 Feb 05, 03:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They gave up those songs because of timing reasons (in this case, Spinal Tap's set was really a mistake) - and those were two songs by Roger, whereas Brian had the lion's share in the set (60% or so)...
The performances I really miss from this concert are "More Than Words" and "Love Of My Life" by Extreme: I don't understand why they didn't put it on the video.
Bob Geldof's song "Too Late God" can be found on one of his albums. Curiously, it's penned "Bob Geldof/Karl Hyde". I sincerely doubt Freddie had anything to do with it - strangely enough, one of the Chemical Brothers' name is Karl Hyde...

Posted: 12 Feb 05, 10:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is not the complete set: you forgot both "Love Of My Life" and "More Than Words" by Extreme and I clearly remember Def Leppard played "Let's Get Rocked" and "Animal". I think it was their first live performance after the release of the "Adrenalize" album - and the first time ever Vivian Campbell played guitar with them on stage, of course.