Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > Flac files

forum rss feed
Author

foxxy_moron user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 618 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 05, 22:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What are they? whenever i get music from the torrents.. it comes up as .flac files and i dont know how to make them mp3 files. none of my music systems will play them.
Does anyone know what i need to play them?

~_*-+_Let us cling together as the years go by..._+-*_~
Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6373 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 05, 22:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/faq_category_view.aspx?Q=1&CATEGORY_NAME=Bittorrent

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come

Posted: 13 Feb 05, 22:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ohhhhhhhhhhh thank you...
didnt think of lookin there
i dont have winamp and i dont want it, do you think if i copied them to cd and copied the cd to the comp they would be mp3???

St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani

Posted: 13 Feb 05, 23:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

definitely not - you need a flac to wav converter (see link below),

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/faq_view.aspx?Q=200&CATEGORY_NAME=Bittorrent&Q_KNOWLEDGE_BASE_CATEGORY_ID=1

then convert wav to mp3 (with various software).

Yes, it is a little time consuming.

I recommend getting 2 gig and joining the hub ... two flac downloads alone will qualify you.

And make sure you read that FAQ link thoroughly(originally provided by YourValentine)

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come

Posted: 14 Feb 05, 00:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i used to convert my wmv. files to mp3. by copying them from my cd using Real Player... it might work in this case. If it does I'll let you know... it would be a pain in the ass to download all that other fancy schmancy stuff just to have mp3 files...

St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani

Posted: 14 Feb 05, 00:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

soundforge was easy to use to convert the flac files to Wav files. That is all you need.

Posted: 14 Feb 05, 00:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i will eventually figure it out..
thanks for all your help!

St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani

Posted: 14 Feb 05, 00:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yes I'm sure you will figure it out. :)

Posted: 14 Feb 05, 18:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

how else will i get them onto my mp3 player thing then??? it only takes mp3 files

St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani

Posted: 16 Feb 05, 00:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

God save us from the EvanGP Flac police ... and their misguided efforts to keep the music pure.

Fortunately most stuff on the HUB is mp3.

A live semi-flawed audience recording in Flac is a negligible improvement compared to mp3, because the source material was recorded under less than ideal conditions.

ghandi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 21 posts

Posted: 16 Feb 05, 05:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FLAC files is the last format that should be used for the kind of recordings that are shared on this site. And they tell us not to dare convert...
Well, I convert instantly to mp3 or oggs and I delete the huge damn FLAC file.
Nobody in this world can make a difference between a 30 MB FLAC file and a 7 MB ogg encoding, especially if the original is recorded by a guy with a mic in his hat 20 years ago.
So, forget FLAC files!!!
Long live mp3 and ogg!!

Posted: 17 Feb 05, 00:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

my mp3 player only plays mp3... which sux because the box said it plays both mp3 and wma... so rude!

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 18 Feb 05, 16:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ghandi wrote:

Nobody in this world can make a difference between a 30 MB FLAC file and a 7 MB ogg encoding, especially if the original is recorded by a guy with a mic in his hat 20 years ago.
So, forget FLAC files!!!
Long live mp3 and ogg!!

Not true. If your ears aren't that great, you're bound to think that. People who really care, i.e the folks that post in FLAC format, do care about what they hear. No need to belittle their perceptions of quality audio.
You don't like it and you found a way to make your own files - fair enough. Their idea about posting FLAC is that it's a high standard that gives people, like yourself, the choice to keep whatever quality files they want, whether it's high or low. But if you shared you're ogg/mp3 files, you're immediately handing them the lesser quality set. There's no choice there and that's why people on this board and the hub strive to make sure they don't spread MP3 anymore.

I understand it and so should you. Because if there's a choice for downloaders/sharers, that means it's better for ALL. Not just one group of individuals that want a specific compression. Flac allows the high standard that's close to a 1:1 copy. Please remember this as it's important.

Peace,
Adam.

St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani

Posted: 18 Feb 05, 19:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"If your ears aren't that great, you're bound to think that. People who really care, i.e the folks that post in FLAC format, do care about what they hear. No need to belittle their perceptions of quality audio.
I understand it and so should you."

Why should I be forced to trade Flac if I am a hearing impaired second class citizen? Fortunately I have plenty of company in the hub that trade mp3. Flac takes up too much hard drive space, and then it needs to converted to a more usable format. Last time I looked there was no sign of an impending ban on trading mp3's in the hub ... and rightly so!

St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani

Posted: 18 Feb 05, 19:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oops

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 18 Feb 05, 19:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You've missed the point RVW. Read again.

St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani

Posted: 18 Feb 05, 22:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What point? That you look down on mp3 traders because you fancy yourself as some sort of god-like sound engineer that knows better than anyone else?

chris99 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 8 posts

Posted: 19 Feb 05, 12:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Flac has better quality, mp3 is easier to use and smaller - yor choice.

To convert flac to mp3, I use Winamp with flac-plugin and diskwriter. Then CDex to convert wav to mp3. Not easy but fast.

ghandi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 21 posts

Posted: 19 Feb 05, 14:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

ghandi wrote:

So, forget FLAC files!!!
Long live mp3 and ogg!!

Not true. If your ears aren't that great, you're bound to think that. People who really care, i.e the folks that post in FLAC format, do care about what they hear. No need to belittle their perceptions of quality audio.
You don't like it and you found a way to make your own files - fair enough. Their idea about posting FLAC is that it's a high standard that gives people, like yourself, the choice to keep whatever quality files they want, whether it's high or low. But if you shared you're ogg/mp3 files, you're immediately handing them the lesser quality set. There's no choice there and that's why people on this board and the hub strive to make sure they don't spread MP3 anymore.

I understand it and so should you. Because if there's a choice for downloaders/sharers, that means it's better for ALL. Not just one group of individuals that want a specific compression. Flac allows the high standard that's close to a 1:1 copy. Please remember this as it's important.

Peace,
Adam.

Your point of view would be valid only if the audio converted to FLAC would have such a quality in itself that would justify such an encoding. These Queen bootlegs are anything but high quality.

I really don't think there exists a person in this world to think that, for example the Knebworth show, sounds better in FLAC than in, say, 320KB/s mp3. And if this file is four times larger than it makes a big difference.

So use FLAC just when it is useful. That is, studio-like recordings or at least professional recorded concerts.

chris99 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 8 posts

Posted: 19 Feb 05, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@gahndi 100% ack, that's exactly my point. FLAC is totally useless when dealing with low quality bootlegs.

My post above was about converting FLAC to mp3. Not complicated, but some pieces of software needed. As I already had Winamp and CDex installed, the easiest way was to go for a Winamp plugin.