Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > So this is what Queenzone has been reduced to?

forum rss feed
Author

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Feb 05, 17:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So this is what Queenzone has been reduced to?

Three threads dealing with the blatant THEFT of "Teo Torriatte (2005 High Definition mix)", and instead of mass-condemnation, we witness wholesale band-wagon looting, and are expected to accept the long-suffering excuses of the ethically bankrupt.

Regardless of excuses, this is THEFT. It is both intellectually and morally WRONG, and can NOT be justified.

Anyone who can read this message can certainly link to
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/list_from_code_banner.html?key=60447&media=CDA
or any other such provider, which means "Queen Jewels II" is both easily affordable and available.

So shame on you - for the distribution, and shame on the rest of us for allowing this to happen.

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 05, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why then don't you go ahead and tell us how much the CD is, how much postage it will cost us, how much the customs bastards are going to bill us for, and how much we pay to send cash registered in the first place (for those of us without c.c.'s, such as myself)

Speaking on ACTUAL EXPERIENCE, John, it is simply too expensive to import CD's from Japan.

In CASE you haven't been following my posts, let me recall what I said earlier about my actual experience:

In June 2003, I wanted to buy what were then new singles from the Japanese "Pocket Monsters" TV series, the singles being "Chiisaki Mono (The Little Thing)" and "Polka O Dolka".

These were SINGLES, not albums, that I was going to order mind you.

Well, turns out there was both a DVD single AND a CD single for Chiisaki Mono, so I ordered those two along with Polka O Dolka.
Those cost me between $30-$40 US dollars alone, and now convert that into Canadian, that's about $45-$50 CDN there. Then I had to pay about $7 US for shipping and handling.

When the order was done, I had to pay for it somehow OBVIOUSLY. And since I had no (and still don't have no) credit card(s) of my own, I had to send cash registered.

That cost me $11.50 CDN about-ish, including postage.

So in total, I paid at LEAST $60, but to be more correct, I paid somewhere between $60-$70 CDN!!!

And there you have it.

Of course there are other stores where you COULD special order these CD's, you're right of course. But these stores charge JUST AS MUCH, if not MORE to import these CD's, because the Japanese suppliers only supply them with the CD's, which are more expensive themselves than American equivalents (which I believe are $12.99 US these days - am I not right?), and then the store's gotta make profit, so they up the price. And then they have to pay for shipping, so they add THAT to the price. In all, it's more expensive to special order it.

I can understand buying new CD's that are ENTIRELY new, but buying a CD just for one track, especially from a country infamous for its inflated prices, just does not make sense.

I could be stupid (and I've admitted many times that I've done stupid things, and this one ain't no exception), but I think here that the general western Queen fan pop. would rather just download the track than pay $40 US for tracks they already have. Am I wrong, people?!?!

What next? Are you going to slam Queen HUB as well??

Point spoken!

John S Stuart

Posted: 15 Feb 05, 20:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So this is what Queenzone has been reduced to?

Three threads dealing with the blatant THEFT of "Teo Torriatte (2005 High Definition mix)", and instead of mass-condemnation, we witness wholesale band-wagon looting, and are expected to accept the long-suffering excuses of the ethically bankrupt.

Regardless of excuses, this is THEFT. It is both intellectually and morally WRONG, and can NOT be justified.

Anyone who can read this message can certainly link to
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/list_from_code_banner.html?key=60447&media=CDA
or any other such provider, which means "Queen Jewels II" is both easily affordable and available.

So shame on you - for the distribution, and shame on the rest of us for allowing this to happen.

inu-liger

Posted: 15 Feb 05, 20:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cry me a river

flash00. user not visiting Queenzone.com
flash00.
Royalty: 1424 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 05, 20:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i agree!!! i like it because its fucking freeeeeeee!!!!
freeeeeeeeeeeeee! and i will continue to d/l for free, if your so upset goin hassle all the peer2peer networks! here its a big group of die hard queen fans who share amongst themselfs, no one else,
so chill out young man,,, can you smell that?! thats freeeee it smells great, :) lol

oo la la
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 16 Feb 05, 00:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sure if Queen's recordings get stolen he doesn't care. But when a polished-up version of a song we all own (more or less) gets uploaded for free, somehow it's a shameful crime.

You can't have it both ways. And that covers those acti-titty :) things!

Seriously though, who in their right mind wants to buy a compilation they don't really want, in-order to get that newly remixed track?? Only a stepford would go that far and even then it's a stretch.

Tell me when it gets released as a single and I'll get it for sure. But as part of the compilation.

Peace,
Adam.

John S Stuart

Posted: 16 Feb 05, 03:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Sure if Queen's recordings get stolen he doesn't care".

Adam - that is not acceptable. I have never encouraged theft. Nothing in my collection is stolen. Not even my acetates. To imply such is slenderous, and I think an apology would be in order.

Even swapping tracks "on the quiet" is more acceptable than this flagrant flaunting of misappropriated gain - and it is this type of contempt for copyright law which will see sites like this one eventually closed down.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 16 Feb 05, 09:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry John, I didn't mean to imply you'd stolen anything. I was just referring to the "lost" multitracks issue that popped up a while back.

Peace,
Adam.

inu-liger

Posted: 16 Feb 05, 09:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

Seriously though, who in their right mind wants to buy a compilation they don't really want, in-order to get that newly remixed track?? Only a stepford would go that far and even then it's a stretch.

Peace,
Adam.

That's one of the points I wanted to make! Thanks Adam!

And Mr. Stuart, I'm afraid that I'm going to have to label you as a Stepford, which I believe would be an insult to you.

inu-liger

Posted: 16 Feb 05, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Besides, tons of people, according to my friend, have already bought the CD, and it's nearly sold out anyways.

Once something goes out of print in Japan, it STAYS OUT OF PRINT!

Plengel user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2119 posts

Posted: 16 Feb 05, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Inu Yasha (a.k.a. Lum's Stormtrooper) wrote:

Then I had to pay about $7 US for shipping and handling.

Woo!!! 7 USD for shipping. Now that's a lot of money! You could've found someone with a creditcard who was willing to order the goods for you.

Anyway, every dollar spent on Pokemon is one too many...

You've never seen nothing like it, no never in your life. Like going up to heaven and then coming back alive.

http://plengelqueentrader.tripod.com
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 16 Feb 05, 13:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, Dork, it doesn't matter how much it would cost. If it's available officially, no uploading.

I'll give you an example. I would like a Ford Mustang. It would cost about £23,000 to import it. Am I allowed to steal it?

Even you should have spotted by now that the Hub contains no official material. No Live Aid after the release of that, etc etc.

It's a cut and dried issue.

agneepath! 11994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1132 posts

Posted: 16 Feb 05, 14:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is almost like the good 'ol days...
Dark vs. the rest of Queenzone!

David Jones user not visiting Queenzone.com
David Jones
Deity: 2469 posts

Posted: 16 Feb 05, 14:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wouldn't have bought the CD anyway, far too expensive for one track. Call me not a true fan, but hey...

Its not even one of my favourite tracks either!

"Freddie would have loved it" - Brian May
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 16 Feb 05, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think Queenzone is responsible for the breach of copyright only because it's discussed on the forum. No recordings shared from the Queenzone tracker have been officially released.

Richard is definitely not more responsible for the distribution of copyrighted tracks than the email provider who allows mp3s being attached to emails or MSN which allows for file sharing no matter if legal or not.

Having said this I agree with John - the sharing forum is not much about sharing anymore, it's more about leeching.

I do not want any google ads here.

flash00. user not visiting Queenzone.com
flash00.
Royalty: 1424 posts

Posted: 16 Feb 05, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=#FF399> Linda Of The Valley wrote:

For fuck sake it's one track..you can hardly compare it to a car! Give us a break.

i agree!!!!!!

oo la la
capt_alehouse user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 14 posts

Posted: 16 Feb 05, 16:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I must agree with Mr Stuart.

I have personally have no objection to the trading and sharing of non-official products, bootlegs, this does not affect the band concerned, only talentless leeches who are out to make money from those people who have had to work hard to get where they are.

I must also add that I disagree with artistes, releasing things like this on an a compilation album, and feel the best way for people to make them realise that it isn't acceptable is to boycott the product totally, just don't buy it. This does not mean that anyone has the right to 'steal' this work.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 16 Feb 05, 17:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why is it so easy for users like Deacon Fan to upload edits of official karaoke tracks? Or the Milton Keynes bootleg to be posted on the tracker? And they don't get a bolloking for posting this "new official material"?

I feel Dark is getting a bad deal - and for what? Uploading one track of a song we probably all know and have on the original DATR album. The only difference being that, it's been processed to sound different and is part of a compilation.

I've already said that I'll buy it if it's a single release. But this is the first time that I've ever said no to a compilation like this. If it was part of a dvd-a album, then I'd be sold for sure.

Right or wrong isn't really fair as we mostly own this track already as part of the DATR album. I don't know about some people, but I personally won't buy a whole album to hear how they've cleaned it up. Not really fair to criticise a download, in this case.

Peace,
Adam.

inu-liger

Posted: 16 Feb 05, 18:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I'll tell you something:

I e-mailed Justin Shirley-Smith earlier last week about whether this mix would be on the DVD-A for ADATR for sure or not, and he said "wait and see", so you never know, it MIGHT be made available outside of Japan.

I've got a feeling that Justin and/or Brian will get wind of this "download tree" that's happening because of me for this particular track (which I COULD just simply stop and not do, but end up disappointing literally over 40 people who have made requests to be on the sending list and losing trust that way), and decide in one way or another to make this available worldwide so they would make more money (not that they necessarily need it so much these days - no offense to anyone, but it's only a few extra Yen / pence in their pockets, and they make tons more money off of playing concerts and re-packaging Greatest Hits 1 thru 3 over and over again)

And I too was thinking that John is a bit of an asshole, who is obviously too biased towards me, as is P_G (who I also have bad blood with that never seems to simmer completely these days).
There have been TONS of downloads made available in the past. Did anyone give a shit when the Queen & John Farnham version of We Will Rock You was made available for a short time PUBLICLY by Mr. Scully? I certainly didn't hear any.
Did people give a shit when the Queen and Annie Crummer AOBTD single was made available on Rien's site? Or the tons of other stuff he's shared as well?

I think I have an unfair biasing (if that's a word) from certain people here, who would just jump at the chance to try and bring me down once more as others have done in the past, given my highly controversial reputation here.

Like I said to John, who is obviously ignoring my comment I made earlier, I am GETTING the CD, especially before it gets sold out completely and discontinued in Japan!

I don't like to argue these days, as it causes me a great deal of stress. I'm only trying to return a favour from many people who have helped me out over the years when I needed something in terms of Queen products or songs. (And yes, I HAVE bought Queen records and DVD's from outside Canada via friends of mine on this board! I don't rely on MP3's entirely, as I myself would rather have a CD source for certain songs, IF they're available, which sometimes they're not)

Anyways I have to go for now as I have to catch my bus.

I will continue this discussion in 1 hour.

Two Sharp Pencils user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 163 posts

Posted: 16 Feb 05, 18:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree both with Mr Stuart and with the others as well. I don´t know what I would do and this is what I feel. As for me the balance depends on the importancy that the song has for me...

1) I agree with you all in that it´s not fair to be "obligued" to purchase a full import compilation just for a different mix (a different case would be an exclusive bonus track such an unavailable elsewhere song - i.e. The Red Special mini-album which had a couple of exclusives). It´s marketing strategy which will hardly work in these "cyber-days" as good as it did in the 90´s.

2) BUT on the other hand, if you´re not willing to make the effort and pay because "it´s just a different mix", then let it be the same reason for not having it anyway... if it´s "just a different mix" then live without it... "it´s just a different mix" should apply both for not being important enough to purchase the legal thing AND for not being important enough to need it. After all it´s just a song (which you all already have anyway in one way or other). It´s not a surviving element... it´s just a song. No one will be hurt for not having it...

Now, if it would be an exclusive track unavailable elsewhere and it would be available for downloading, I would get it that way AND if I consider it good enough, I´d probably go for the real thing.

Silly? Maybe... but I bet than someone else will feel the same way...