Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Sheer Heart Attack

forum rss feed
Author

supernova190188 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 232 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Feb 05, 18:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

why is the song not on the album? also what album can this song be found on?

We love you Freddie, R.I.P
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 19 Feb 05, 18:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sheer Heart Attack is on News Of The World because the song wasn't finished in time to be put on Sheer Heart Attack. The band liked the title anyway, though, and used it for the album.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 19 Feb 05, 18:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This song is on album and this album called 'News Of The World, but if you won't find it there - buy another one album called 'Queen Rocks', and if again it won't be on the album - then download it.

supernova190188 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 232 posts

Posted: 19 Feb 05, 18:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thanks

We love you Freddie, R.I.P
1quen_fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 339 posts

Posted: 19 Feb 05, 21:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like this song a lot, I was wondering the same thing.

Fuck them darling, if they just don't get.

- Freddie Mercury
L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts

Posted: 19 Feb 05, 23:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And why "Bicycle Race" is not on "A day at the races",a mystery we never know.

Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
LowSammy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 61 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 05, 02:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Or why Bohemian Rhapsody isn't on A Night At The Opera.....Oh..wait..hmm..nevermind.

AllDeadAllDead user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 05, 16:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

that is so incorrect. the song sheer heart attack was written so much later than the album, in fact TWO other albums came out before news of the world. it is written in many places, that the song sheer heart attack was written in response to a nasty run-in between queen and sid vicious in the studio, during the early phase of punk. it was queens 'fuck-you, we can do that too' gesture to the punks who's mission is was to destroy bands like queen. the only connection is the name, and probably some inside/secret reason for roger.

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 05, 17:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Er....any sources or quotes to back this up?

If not, I'm going with the first answer, which has up to now been known as the correct one.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 05, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ahh, apparently we shouldn't listen to John S. Stuart then, who has a demo version of the song from 1974. He must be wrong.

'Bicycle Race' wasn't on A Day At The Races because it wasn't written in 1976. Simple answer.

'Sheer Heart Attack' wouldn't have been a good choice for a single, because 'Spread Your Wings' and 'It's Late' were far superior. And 'Sheer Heart Attack' is really considered punk, though I guess it could technically be more fast rock than anything.

ryancoke user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 202 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 05, 19:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I tried playing it on drums once...I almost passed out.

Give us the right key, f#@! sakes...
newcastle 86! 16483 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 20 Feb 05, 20:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

john s stuart is a self rightous get

martinjkstones

Posted: 20 Feb 05, 20:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you show me that john stuart 'demo' from 74. otherwise its bullshit. i did not fabricate the sex pistols story. there may have been another completely differnt song from 1974, that was titled sheer heart attack, that wasnt finished or scrapped, but the song on NOTW by that title was written at that time, no way in hell in 1974.

Posted: 20 Feb 05, 20:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Sex Pistols story, from "The New Visual Documentary":

"We were recording an album next door to The Sex Pistols. One day Sid Vicious stumbled in and yelled at Freddie, 'Ullo Fred, so you've really brought ballet to the masses then?' Freddie just turned round and said, 'Ah Mr Ferocious. Well, we're trying our best, dear!'" - Roger Taylor

Where anywhere does it say they were recording 'Sheer Heart Attack' in that quote? It doesn't even specifiy the album they were recording.

Brian about 'Sheer Heart Attack' from The Royal Legend online: "It sounds like a punk, or 'new wave' song, but it was written at the same time of the Sheer Heart Attack LP. He played it to us then but it wasn't quite finished and he didn't have time to complete it before we started recording. That was three years go and now almost all these records you hear like that period."

So the song was written and demo'd during the Sheer Heart Attack sessions in 1974, but wasn't completed until 1977. During that period, it was probably rewritten musically to update it to the attitude of punk.

And regarding John S. Stuart being a self-righteous get - do you have any of the stuff that he has? If so, your outburst is understandable. If not, I'll take John's word over yours any day.

Posted: 20 Feb 05, 20:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

like i said, i'm not disputin gthat there was 'a song' by the name of sheer heart attack, but it was not the song that appears on notw. notw was recored after the ramones' debut, and that song is a direct reaction to the punk movement. perhaps the words were writen eariler.

Posted: 20 Feb 05, 20:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AllDeadAllDead wrote:

like i said, i'm not disputin gthat there was 'a song' by the name of sheer heart attack, but it was not the song that appears on notw. notw was recored after the ramones' debut, and that song is a direct reaction to the punk movement. perhaps the words were writen eariler.

What's the difference? Of course it was re-recorded, I don't think they would use a recording from 1974 for an album in 1977 (even though The Stones did it all the time). I'm sure the song was rewritten over time to adapt to the upcoming musical changes and trends, but you seemed so defiant that the 1974 and 1977 songs were different. If a song is titled 'Sheer Heart Attack' and features the same basic structure but not finished for three years, it's the same song.

Songs progress over the years - 'Stone Cold Crazy' was written in 1969 and was considerably slower, but when it was recorded and released in 1974, it was still the same song except structured slightly differently. Same with 'Liar' and 'Ogre Battle' and much of the songs from the first two albums. Why should 'Sheer Heart Attack' be the sole exception?

PhoenixRising user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 99 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 05, 08:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I keep reading HOW Sheer Heart Attack came to be, not the reason it wasn't on the Sheer Heart Attack album.

The song was indeed slated to be on the Sheer Heart Attack album, but Roger Taylor came down with hepatitis and was not able to finish it on deadline.

This also delayed a Queen tour at the time...

"I'm not a heavily spiritual person, but when I'm in the studio, I can hear Fred saying, 'No, c'mon, you can do better than that,' and that lifts me and makes me work better." -Brian May
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 05, 08:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PhoenixRising wrote:

I keep reading HOW Sheer Heart Attack came to be, not the reason it wasn't on the Sheer Heart Attack album.

The song was indeed slated to be on the Sheer Heart Attack album, but Roger Taylor came down with hepatitis and was not able to finish it on deadline.

Geez, ppl- it was BRIAN being sick, not Roger!!!

kerfuffle87 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 419 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 05, 08:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PhoenixRising wrote:

i thought that was Brian, or was that another time? oo im confused :-S
xxx

"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open" - Sir James Dewar
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 21 Feb 05, 08:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One post above yours...
*rolls eyes...*