Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > .....what about a song where Freddie doesn't sing??

forum rss feed
Author

Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Feb 05, 23:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, Ok....

I few days ago I asked everyone to list there favorite Queen albums in the order of favorite to least favorite.

The more I thought about this, I realized that some albums.....even ones that are a masterpiece, such as "News Of The World" still annoy me when there are too many non Freddie sung songs.

News of World, for example, has some major highlights, for, they are: We will rock you, We are the champions, Spread Your Wings, Melancholy Blues. It's late..... but what is the deal with All Dead, Fight From the Inside, Sleeping on the Sidewalk??????

These 3 songs all would have had potential had Freddie sang them.

When you are in a band with Freddie, an album of 11 songs....should never have 3 of those songs sang by people who aren't close to Freddie's league in vocal ability. It makes no sense.

Alot of people ....INCLUDING MANY OF YOU ON THIS SITE ....talk about how much they like John's songs.

What do all of John songs have in common??
Freddie on lead vocal.

Brian May says he will always regret that Freddie didn't sing "Sail away Sweet sister"

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
Farlander user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 662 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 00:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As great a singer as he was, his voice wasn't suited to everything. For example, having Fred sing '39 just wouldn't have sounded good. And when he did sing it live, it didn't sound good. It didn't have the charm it did when Brian sang it.

And some songs just needed the raspiness of Roger's voice. Fight from the Inside wouldn't be as good with Freddie on Vocals.

One of the great things about Queen is that it had three singers with very different voices. It was nice to have some variety. My favorite thing about News of the World is the songs Brian and Roger sang on it.

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 01:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love Freddie's voice, but I think that some songs are just more suited for Brian and Roger's voice. Just compare Brian's version of Too Much Love Will Kill You with Freddie's. They're both great, but Brian has a way of adding his emotions to his songs which sometimes just fits. It's the same with Roger's raspy voice, which works perfectly with the types of songs he writes. I kind of wish they hadn't stopped having Brian and Roger sing their own songs on later albums, but then again, it was the only way to have them released as singles.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 05:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd've cried if Fred had sung Tenement Funster.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
Mustapha Ibrahim user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 46 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 07:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No i partially disagree looking back it would of been nice to hear freddie sing all their songs but Brian and Roger both have pretty good voices especially Roger. He has a real hard rocking voice and would of made a good lead man only Freddie was so damn good. Does anyone think Roger sounds like Rod Stewart.

Empty spaces what are we living for ?

SHOW MUST GO ON!
Farlander user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 662 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 09:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Everyone thinks that.

I think Roger is actually a better singer than Rod Stewart, however.

Leppar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 236 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 09:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just what is wrong with Brian and Roger singing? They gave Queen a lot of variety - and there were many songs where Freddies voice just wouldn't fit.

Don't call me gigolo, don't call me Casanova

Just call me on the phone and baby come on over!
Fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 889 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 10:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is not a single Queen song that was sung by the "wrong" person. In hindsight, I agree with every choice they made in that area.

IMHO Freddie ruined '39 on stage (actually the whole band did, it was just a bit too cheerful for my taste compared to the original), Fight From The Inside had Roger written all over it, and Freddie sounded good on John's songs because they were written with him in mind.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

gr8kingrat user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 52 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 10:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've always wondered if there were Freddie versions of songs like '39, Fight from the Inside, All Dead, All Dead, etc.

I would have thought they'd record 2 different versions of these songs to compare which came across better...

-dave

Queen collection Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/gr8kingrat/queen
Zander05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zander05
Bohemian: 860 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 20:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian and Roger! Selfish bastards! Who the hell are they to sing some of the songs they wrote! *rolls eyes* As many people have said, Freddie's voice does not fit every song and style. And maybe they (Bri and Rog) wanted to sing some songs because they were personal (i.e. All Dead All Dead. It would be silly for Freddie to sing about Brian's deceased cat) to them. I say shut up or find something worth bitching about.

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 21:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Again...
I didn't say that Brian and/or Roger couldn't sing.

They just aren't in Freddie's league.

Freddie is heralded by many....even non Queen fanatics....to be one of the greatest singers ever in any genre.

I find it ridiculous on a album of only 11 songs, to have one of the worlds greatest talents sidelined because two people (Roger and Brian) insisted on singing.

If News of the World had 15 tracks, and Rog and Bri wanted to bealt out a tune or two...whatever.

But don't sideline one of the worlds best, and most infamous voices for 3 songs, on an 11 track album.....especially when the singing is 2nd rate to Fred's.

Roger has a nice, Rod Stewart/Brian Johnson crossed raspy voice that does work great on certain songs....Brian is a back-up singer at best.

Brian could have never made it as a singer alone.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
Zander05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zander05
Bohemian: 860 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 22:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm trying, really I am, to not lose patience. Clearly, you're not getting the point.

Nobody forced Freddie to not sing those tracks. Brian and Roger wanted to sing and Freddie LET THEM. Brian is a damn good singer I think (refer to the harmonies on '39). And I believe you're a moron if you're going to get your panties in a twist over *gasp* THREE songs! Fucking get over it.

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 23:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Farlander wrote:

Amen.

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 23:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zander, really, "gasp", "fart"...

No panties in a bunch.

Just making coversation....by the way...the 3 songs were on NOTW alone.

We have other albums with other songs.

Roger makes sense on some songs....his AC/DC rasp works terrific on "I'm in love with my car".

Brian just sounds like a weak Freddie.
For example, the beginning of "Who wants to live forever" ...there is no advantage to having Brian sing the beginning of that song.

I have no reason to argue with you....Brian and Roger have said themselves that any song sang by them was certainly not to be taken seriously, as Brian put it "Any song we felt worthy of airplay certainly would of had Freddie on lead vocal, I think thats quite obvious, isn't it?"

In this same interview, from 1992 , Brian go's on to say he regrets Freddie not signing "Sail Away Sweet Sister".

He also goes onto say that on Innuendo, while Freddie was physically failing, his voice and spirit were stronger than ever.....Brian said his vocal power was astounding during the Innuendo recordings, and it would have been "mad" for he or Roger to attempt lead vocals on a any of the tracks.

Again...please calm down the high blood pressure.
I like Brian and Freddie's voice....ie: "Action This Day Live" with Roger and Freddie going back and forth is great!

Just stating: Freddie Mercury in your band, and not singing is like your wife telling you Michael Jackson will be taking care of your "bedroom duties" from now on.

dragonzflame user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2456 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 03:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nah. I reckon they all made great choices with who sang what. I know Freddie was an awesome singer but I like that the albums had that variation to them with other people singing. Freddie sang all the songs that became singles - why not let Brian and Roger have a go from time to time? As much as I love Freddie as a singer, I think it might get a bit samey if he did absolutely everything.

When life hands you lemons, add vodka.
Mustapha Ibrahim user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 46 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 05:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its variety its what Queen are all about they dont sound the same in every song like Status Quo. They have sold over 100 million records of practically the same tune over and over again. Not many Queen songs are alike thats why there the best.

Empty spaces what are we living for ?

SHOW MUST GO ON!
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 11:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Listen to WWTLF from Highlander. Fred's intro is very pretty, but I still like Brian's version. It's like the vocal sparring in I Want It All - it's great to have more than one singer on a track, it just adds interest.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
kerfuffle87 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 419 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 12:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Farlander wrote:

me too!but on on some of his solo albums he sounds idfferent again - less raspy, more like Phil Collins!maybe this is just me...

"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open" - Sir James Dewar

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good points guys.

I don't hate Brian and Rogers signing.

I just wish the level of ability would have been closer.

Example: On Beatles tunes...John and Paul both had very recordable voices, while different in tone, similar in ability...and George wasn't too far from behind.

I guess "Who wants to live forever" does work because Brian's voice is great for the soft intro, and Freddie comes in like thunder on the middle cresendo.

Brian and Roger are 2 singers that are passable, but neither would have been able to make a living as singers alone...ie: Like Freddie, or Elvis, or Aretha Franklin for example.

Brian is a guitar player who can sing.
Roger is a very talented drummer, a acceptable guitarist , who also can sing.

Freddie is a singer, who happened to be a profecient piano player.

bassist08 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 332 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 18:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It all depends. I like the songs that Bri and Rog sing. It gives a bit of diversity.
But I just can't picture Fred singing "I'm in love with my car" or "Long away" for example.

"The most important thing, darling, is to live a fabulous life. As long as it's fabulous, I don't care how long it is." -FM