Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Favorite artists and bands (as well as those disliked) by Queen members

forum rss feed
Author

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 15:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

After doing some research I was able to find out that these are the artists and bands that the members of Queen like (and dislike as well).

I'm not sure how accurate is this list, but let me know if there's anyone missing.

JOHN DEACON

Favorites:
- Bob Marley
- Tony Thompson
- Stevie Wonder
- Leon Sylvers III
- Aretha Franklin
- Whispers
- The Beatles
- Skyy
- Commodores
- Chic
- The Police
- Nolans
- Adam & the Ants
- Bad Manners
- Blondie
- Gonzalez
- The Jacksons (& Michael Jackson solo)
- Elvis Costello

Dislikes:
- Kiss
- Japan
- Brotherhood of Man
- Toyah
- Whitesnake
- Clash
- Robbie Williams (perhaps)
(Country & folk music)

------------------------------------------------

ROGER TAYLOR

Favorites:
- The Who
- Kansas
- Jimi Hendrix
- The Beatles
- U2
- Bruce Springsteen
- Led Zeppelin
- Hank Marvin
- Bob Dylan
- David Bowie
- John Lennon

Dislikes:
- The Clash
- Spandau Ballet
- The Ramones
- The Sex Pistols
- The Osmonds
- The Carpenters
- Ray Coniff
- Captain & Tenille
- David Cassidy
- Lynyrd Skynard

BRIAN MAY

Favorites:
- The Who
- Jimi Hendrix
- The Beatles
- Led Zeppelin
- Pink Floyd
- David Bowie
- John Lennon
- Van Halen
- Bad Company
- Kansas
- Cream
- Aerosmtih
- Guns N' Roses
- Def Leppard
- Foo Fighters
- Avril Lavigne
- Extreme
- Black Sabbath
- Smashing Pumpkins
- Muse
- The Darkness
- Franz Ferdinand

Dislikes:
- Omen
- The Carpenters
- Johnny Mathis
- Blondie

FREDDIE MERCURY

Favorites:
- Nicolo Pagannini
- Montserrat Caballe
- Aretha Franklin
- The Beatles
- The Platters
- Fats Domino
- Elvis
- Led Zeppelin
- The Who
- Mott The Hopple
- Elton John
- The Jacksons
- Michael Jackson
- Prince
- Jimi Hendrix
- David Bowie
- Boy George & Culture Club
- George Michael
- Spandau Ballet
- Tears For Fears
- Liza Minelli
- Bette Midler

Dislikes:
- AC/DC
- The Clash
- Kiss
- Billy Idol
- U2
- Guns N' Roses

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
vanush user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 60 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie basically disliked anyone who couldn't sing, ie AC/DC , GnR

:P

pity that he didnt like the gunners, considering Axl Rose loved Queen and they performed at his tribute.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 16:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd add Lynyrd Skynyrd to Roger's 'dislikes' column.

Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 16:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

vanush wrote:

Freddie basically disliked anyone who couldn't sing, ie AC/DC , GnR

:P

pity that he didnt like the gunners, considering Axl Rose loved Queen and they performed at his tribute.

Any idea what Freddie thought about November Rain? It was released before he died, right?

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 16:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

vanush wrote:

I don't know if Freddie disliked Guns N' Roses for their music, but at least I know that he didn't like Axl for the fact that he wrote "One In A Million", a song that sparked a controversy at the time the album 'Lies' was released due to the racist and biased overtone of the song. This is one of the lines:

"Immigrants and faggots
They make no sense to me
They come to our country
And think they'll do as they please
Like start some mini Iran,
Or spread some fuckin' disease
They talk so many goddamn ways
It's all Greek to me"

http://guns-n-roses.lyrics-songs.com/lyrics/79393

Axl has mentioned that the opinions expressed on this song are not his own, but the reflection of the feelings of hatred among people that he witnessed after moving to Los Angeles.
I remember reading on one book where Freddie was asked whether he'd like to meet Axl Rose, who mentioned how much he loved Queen and said he'd like to meet Freddie in person. Freddie replied by saying "I'd like to meet him too, so I can spit on his face".

Now, about U2 something similar happens. He probably didn't dislike U2 much for their music, but for the fact that they used their band as a vehicle to express political opinions.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Mr Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 119 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 16:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It isn't fair to not have beatles on Johns favourite list. He is possibly the one that are most infuenced by them in the whole band, allthough surly everyone liked them and like them.

John 3:16.....
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 16:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Fred wrote:

It isn't fair to not have beatles on Johns favourite list. He is possibly the one that are most infuenced by them in the whole band, allthough surly everyone liked them and like them.

I'm sure John liked The Beatles, I mean what musician didn't like them? John mostly credits R&B and soul artists as his influences, but sure thing The Beatles have to be there.

I'll put artists and bands on the list as you guys come up with those missing.

...and Hell Lynyrd fu**in' Skynard deserve to be on Roger's list.

Zander05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zander05
Bohemian: 860 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 20:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Didn't Brian also say he liked Slipknot? I read this a long time ago.

Mr.Jingles

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 20:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zander05 wrote:

Didn't Brian also say he liked Slipknot? I read this a long time ago.

What the hell?? Are you kidding me??

Sometimes I feel like Brian says good things about artists just to be nice, even if he doesn't really feel that way.

Mustapha Ibrahim user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 46 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 05:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not many people did like Axl Rose he was and is a complete lunatic but i love him for it such an amazing character to look at. Unfortunately Freddie didnt think that they could of collaborated. Could you imagine that they would kill each other.

Empty spaces what are we living for ?

SHOW MUST GO ON!
News Of The World user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 103 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 06:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think with AC/DC it's the same, it's not that Freddie disliked them for their music ( not being sure if he did like it or not ) but i read somwhere that Angus Young made fun of his teeth once. Or the fact that AC/DC where considred first to play in a movie called Dracular Rocks,and Queen where asked only when AC/DC declined to do it, but in the end the role was excepted by the Boomtown Rats. That I found out in a book called AC/DC: The Definitaive History.

"I'm Just A Musical Prostitute My Dear"

Freddie Mercury, 1984
Leppar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 236 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 07:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mustapha Ibrahim wrote:

Could you imagine that they would kill each other.

No, they wouldn't kill each other - Axl would murder Freddie. For all his great singing Freddie was no Hulk Hogan. Also, good to see one member of Queen with some taste - Def Leppard - good ol' Bri. He was awesome when he performed with Def Leppard. It doesn't get any better than that.

Don't call me gigolo, don't call me Casanova

Just call me on the phone and baby come on over!
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 08:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John said in musiclife `76 that his favourite songwriters were the Beatles, and in `96 mentioned that they inspired him to be a musician.

Btw I`ve never seen any confirmation that he disliked Kiss. He only said that he had been so busy with touring and had never seen a Kiss show, that`s it.

Roger mentioned in Rhythm Mag `80 that he disliked Clash and Ramones, he liked Pistols` first album but he tought they lost direction after that. Where did you hear/read that Fred didn`t like U2? He was kind of friendly with Bono at Live Aid anyway...

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 10:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger didn't like Spandau Ballet!

Killed by drones.
QueenZeppelin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 316 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 11:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Leppar wrote:

Mustapha Ibrahim wrote:

Could you imagine that they would kill each other.

No, they wouldn't kill each other - Axl would murder Freddie. For all his great singing Freddie was no Hulk Hogan. Also, good to see one member of Queen with some taste - Def Leppard - good ol' Bri. He was awesome when he performed with Def Leppard. It doesn't get any better than that.

Mercury was pretty buff in his heyday, and Axl was a skinny little mother fucker, so I assume Freddie could prolly beat the shit out of him.

"Have you ever seen or touched any monkeys?"
Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 12:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Totally agree with QueenZeppelin-

I know this is 7th grade crap, but I think Freddie would have whipped shit out of ole' Asshole Rose.

Everytime Asshole went after someone, he'd usually end up on the ground a few seconds later.

Freddie's height in inches is about equivelent to Asshole's IQ, and I always put money on the more intelligent fighter.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
Leppar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 236 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is this the same Axl that had Kurt Cobain running scared? Or the Axl that was always getting into fights and wasn't scared? While the 'buff' Freddie was being hard and crying just because someone bit his finger. Oh no, what agony, poor lickle Freddiepoos. Freddie was the more intelligent but Axl was much harder.

Don't call me gigolo, don't call me Casanova

Just call me on the phone and baby come on over!
greaserkat user not visiting Queenzone.com
greaserkat
Bohemian: 678 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Leppar wrote:

Is this the same Axl that had Kurt Cobain running scared? Or the Axl that was always getting into fights and wasn't scared? While the 'buff' Freddie was being hard and crying just because someone bit his finger. Oh no, what agony, poor lickle Freddiepoos. Freddie was the more intelligent but Axl was much harder.

Freddie was a winning boxer when he was a kid, he won trophies as a boxer, so i think he'd kick the shit out of Axl.

Darling, Im not going to be a rockstar, Im going to be a LEGEND!!
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 14:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jingles, Don't you know ANYTHING!? Free/Bad Company/Paul Rodgers should be at the VERY top of all of their lists!

;)

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 15:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Leppar wrote:

Axl had a feud with Vince Neil from Motley Crue, after they had an encounter at the 1988 or 1989 MTV Awards. I'm not sure what triggered the fight, but I think the whole feud started when Steven Adler was hitting on Vince's girlfriend. Vince challenged Axl to a fist fight and told him to pick the time and place, Axl replied by calling him names but guess he didn't want to fight, perhaps because Vince Neil might kick his ass.

About Kurt Cobain, Axl didn't exactly pick a fight with Kurt but rather with Courtney Love. That was at the 1992 MTV Awards, and he told Kurt... "Why don't you tell your bitch to shut up!". Weird thing is that Axl was very supportive of Nirvana when they got their contract with Geffen Records, which was also the record company of G n'R. Axl can be seen wearing a blue Nirvana baseball cap on the "Don't Cry" video.