Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Innuendo

forum rss feed
Author

Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Feb 05, 21:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Obviously this was Queen's last album while Freddie was still here.
By this time, Queen had started on the previous album (The Miracle) of crediting all writing to "Queen".

Of course each song's idea had to start somewhere, however.

I was wondering if anyone knows....not speculates...but KNOWS who wrote what on Innuendo??

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
dragonzflame user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2456 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 03:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well...I think I may know some of them. All of this is open though becuase I can't necessarily remember where I heard it and it may be blatant misinformation.
TSMGO was Brian's, as was ICLWY. Somehow I think TATDOOL was Roger, although feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Delilah was Freddie. So was Bijou. All God's People was John. IGSM was Freddie.
I think I'll stop now to avoid accusations of complete idiocy. Please feel free to correct and add where necessary!

When life hands you lemons, add vodka.
trustno1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 05:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perhaps a comprehensive Queenzone FAQ would be in order. Anyone up for compiling it?

We Are The Champions user not visiting Queenzone.com
We Are The Champions
Bohemian: 879 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 06:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dragonzflame wrote:

Well...I think I may know some of them. All of this is open though becuase I can't necessarily remember where I heard it and it may be blatant misinformation.
TSMGO was Brian's, as was ICLWY. Somehow I think TATDOOL was Roger, although feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Delilah was Freddie. So was Bijou. All God's People was John. IGSM was Freddie.
I think I'll stop now to avoid accusations of complete idiocy. Please feel free to correct and add where necessary!

Innuendo credits as far as I know:
Innuendo - lyrics by Roger music Freddie
IGSM - Freddie
Headlong - Brian (originally scheduled for solo album)
IGLWY - Brian (originally scheduled for solo album)
DTSH - Freddie lyrics with input from John
RTWW - Roger
All God's People - Freddie (originally scheduled for Barcelona album)
TATDOOL - Roger
Delilah - Freddie
The Hitman - Freddie
Bijou - Lyrics Freddie with Brian's guitar
TSMGO - Brian

Please correct if I'm wrong somewhere.

We all of us deeply apologise for this god forsaken shit heap of a building...but we will make it rock.

Brian May Wembley Pavilion 11.05.05.
Leppar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 236 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 07:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always thought Headlong and The Hitman sounded like Brian songs ie hard rock. Whereas i would bet my pension that Delilah is a Freddie song. Apart from that, bah anyones guess.

Don't call me gigolo, don't call me Casanova

Just call me on the phone and baby come on over!
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 08:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Innuendo - Fred started off he lyrics, Roger completed them. The melody is much more Freddie-esque. Music by Fred (with input from the others of course). Confirmed by the producer.

Slightly Mad - Fred. Confirmed in several interviews by Brian (Guitar Magazine, Oct `94), Roger (QOL 2002) & the producer (Queel File book, right now available only in Japanese). Jim Hutton also confirmed it`s Freddie`s as in his book he comments how the lyrics came from a wild night with Peter Straker in which they begun to say camp one-liners a la Noel Coward.

Headlong - Brian, he wrote it for Back To The Light, but gave it to the band as soon as he heard Fred singing it (he said so in a radio interview in `91, and similar story at Sunset Strip same year)

I Can`t Live With You - Brian, confirmed by the producer (Queen File) and himself (radio interview in `91). This song and Slightly Mad were the ones they showed to Steve Howe when he went visitting, he was very fond of ICLWY.

Don`t Try So Hard - Freddie (with some input from Brian). The whole John thing is just an urban legend. Cbtp (confirmed by the producer)

Ride The Wild Wind - Roger. Cbtp

All God`s People - Brian told Nuno in Guitar Magazine `91 that Fred had written it for a solo project then he went in and played guitar, then John came and played bass, then Roger came and played drums, so it became a Queen thing. In Guitar Magazine `94 he said again that Fred wrote it for Barcelona, and in `01 the producer confirmed it as well.

Delilah - In BBC Radio One `91 Brian was asked if Fred had written it and he said "yes". In the same year Nuno commented to Brian "it`s all Fred" and Brian didn`t deny it so he let silence speak. The producer confirmed that indeed it`s Freddie`s, as well as Jim Hutton

Bijou - The title came from Freddie as well as the lyrics and the keyboard parts, as confirmed by the producer. As for the guitar parts, Brian himself said in his soapbox last year that they were written by Fred and himself and that Fred sang the first part of the melody, then he transferred it to guitar.

Hitman - Brian commented at Sunset Strip that he wasn`t even in the room when Fred wrote it. He re-arranged it for guitar and then John put some structure changes. In that case Brian & John are arrangers but not songwriters. When Macca wrote Yesterday it`s George Martin who arranged the string quartet, but the song is still Paul`s, same case here.

Days Of Our Lives - In the interview with Nuno (`91) Brian commented that he did the solo in a first take and Roger was doubtful about it, but it finally grew on him. That way he suggested that Roger "owned" the song in a way. In `94 Rog was asked by the fan club about his favourite own composition for Queen, his solo career and The Cross and he answered "Days Of Our Lives, Happiness, Final Destination". The producer confirmed it`s Roger`s.

Show Must Go On - As Brian said in Guitar Magazine `94, the chord sequence is John`s & Roger`s. Then Brian & Fred sat down, decided the theme of the song and wrote the first verse. From then on there`s a lot of input by the four of them and the producer, but Brian was the one who conducted the operative and that`s why the song is considered (more) his.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 08:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We-are-the-champions:

You have just about what I have read/been told as well.

My list is as follows-

Innuendo- Freddie (all the music/most of the lyrics) Roger (help with the lyrics).
I'm going slightly mad- All Freddie
Headlong- All Brian
I can't live with you-All Brian
Don't try so hard- Mostly Freddie, with input from John.
Ride the wild wind- All Roger
All God's people- All Freddie
These are the days of are lives- Mostly Roger, a key change/chord restructure by Brian, some lyrics changed by Freddie.
Delilah- All Freddie
The Hitman- All Freddie (this one everyone assumes is Brian, but Brian says "the riff and everything came from Freddie".)
Bijou- Lyrics Freddie, music Brian
The Show must Go on- 99% Brian

A side note to the "Show must go on" is that Brian said in interview that Freddie was really excited about this song. Brian said one day "Freddie was having a bad day, health wise, and thats when I wrote the line "My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies...etc" when I showed it to him, I asked if he could sing that, he said he would sing with all his might, as he knew it came from my heart". Brian also said that the end of the song where Freddie sings "I'll face it with a grin, I'm never giving in, on with the show".....was not the lyrics that Brian had for that verse, but Freddie started rehearsing it with that line.....and none of the others nor he ever talked about it. Brian said "We knew what it was about, and it didn't need to be discussed".

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Delilah's a giveaway though isn't it? It's named after Fred's cat. I can't see the others writing it.

Hitman is a funny one - we all know Freddie was responsible for some of the hardest Queen material, yet it's funny he should write something slightly reminiscent of "Gimme the Prize", when he apparently didn't like that song (or so I heard).

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Hitman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2217 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 13:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hitman is what?!?!??! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR....

:P

Anything too stupid to be said... is sung.
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 18:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian writes about who wrote Innuendo each week at least, but question is still alive...!

Joma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 388 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 18:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry Funster wrote:

Sebastian writes about who wrote Innuendo each week at least, but question is still alive...!

That's true. FAQ I say!

Live life to the full!
Sebastian

Posted: 25 Feb 05, 22:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> Don't try so hard- Mostly Freddie, with input from John.

No, it`s Fred and Brian. No Roger or John.

> All God's people- All Freddie

And Mike Moran

> These are the days of are lives- Mostly Roger, a key change/chord restructure by Brian, some lyrics changed by Freddie.

There`s no key change. The chord progression of the solo could have been suggested by John imo, but anyone of the four was capable of that.

> The Hitman- All Freddie (this one everyone assumes is Brian, but Brian says "the riff and everything came from Freddie".)

To be fair, the lyrics could have been by Brian, they haven`t been confirmed or denied. Most people (inc me) are nearly sure that "hitman school" came from Freddie, but in the case it does, it still doesn`t mean he wrote ALL of the lyrics.

> Bijou- Lyrics Freddie, music Brian

The music is Fred`s as well since Brian`s guitar parts (co-written by both of them) were dictated by the keyboard chords Fred had written and played before.

> The Show must Go on- 99% Brian

If we`re getting into percentages, note that the sequence that John & Roger came up with is the musical base for all of the song except the bridge. That means that J&R effectively wrote the music for the intro, solos, choruses and verses. Hence, a good 80% of the music is by them.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Lady Cool Cat user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 421 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 05, 08:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Leppar wrote:

I always thought Headlong and The Hitman sounded like Brian songs ie hard rock. Whereas i would bet my pension that Delilah is a Freddie song. Apart from that, bah anyones guess.

Leppar! Hiya!

Friends Will Be Friends; Life without friends is like Rock n' Roll without Queen.

Posted: 26 Feb 05, 18:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian-

I have heard from a number of sources (while it maybe completely bogus) that "The Hitman" is AIDS itself...

Freddie was almost, through song, laughing at the illness....

So if you substitute AIDS for everytime he says "Hitman" in the song...you get what he was thinking at the time.

Obviously, Freddie couldn't sing "I'm the AIDS, step aside, I'm the AIDS, I want your life....etc" as that would have been beyond stupid and distastful.

So it was, masked behind this "Hitman" theme.

Can you confirm either way if thats was the idea behind the song??

I am not one that reads into everything Freddie did from 1987-1991 as being Aids related.... but this story behind "Hitman" comes up a lot with people in the music biz.

Any truth to this?
Thanks

Sebastian

Posted: 26 Feb 05, 20:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No idea, I`d never heard about it, but it does make some sense considering the lyrics.

dragonzflame user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2456 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 05, 22:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It does make sense. I'd be surprised if he didn't write something at least with AIDS in mind.

When life hands you lemons, add vodka.
legends never die! user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 73 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 05, 14:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

aha when i heard hitman i thought that it was about aids, and a hitman is someone who kills people isnt it? but it must have been so hard for him to sing it

I want your life
Ain't no escaping

i really admire him for still carrying on when he knew he couldnt do anything about it.

but i have to say what really gets me is on DTSH when he sings its only fools they make these rules, those words are so beautiful, i dunno why, lol gets me everytime!

dave2005 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 144 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 05, 17:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, every song in Innuendo is like a hidden hint, right ... Every song - the topic or some lines at least - have an innuendo, a hint to them ...

Apart from the obvious ones - Innuendo, SMGO, IGSM, TATDOOL, even in songs like:

I can't live with you - i just cant live, i just cant live
Don't try so hard - dont try so hard
Ride the wild wind - it ain't dangerous
Hitman - i want your life, aint no escaping
All God's People - look, touch and feel

That time will come, 1 day youll see, when we can all be friends
Hitman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2217 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 05, 18:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i don't think that there are too many links between the Innuendo songs and Freddie's health. you can link everything to death or aids if you look for death in things...it is the end of everyone after all.

Anything too stupid to be said... is sung.
runy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 590 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 05, 03:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Strange thing, I don't like the Innuendo song... I do love the album, I mean, other songs, but Innuendo was always one of my least liked Queen songs. I know that many people say that it should be the same honoured as BoRha, but I myself never understood why it actually SHOULD be...
Well, now I wonder, do you all love Innuendo and this is just me who thinks differently? :) I know, I know... I'm weird.. ;)

Saule pasaulis :D