Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Hot Space - One of Queen's top albums?

forum rss feed
Author

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Mar 05, 22:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was just looking at amazon.com and Hot Space is the second highest ranked studio album from the band. The first is A Night At The Opera, and the rest are greatest hits collections, but I never would've thought Hot Space would be more popular than albums like News Of The World or The Game!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/artist/glance/-/40612/ref=pd_ap_sr/102-3489756-8095326

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 05, 22:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erm, maybe it's my eyesight going because I don't have my glasses on, but 'Hot Space' received only 3 1/2 stars, while the albums you mentioned - News Of The World and The Game - got 4 1/2 stars.

Posted: 03 Mar 05, 23:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

Erm, maybe it's my eyesight going because I don't have my glasses on, but 'Hot Space' received only 3 1/2 stars, while the albums you mentioned - News Of The World and The Game - got 4 1/2 stars.

No, that's right, but in terms of sales rank, it's second only to A Night At The Opera (and five other greatest hits collections). I'm just surprised since I'd expect any other album to sell better!

DontStopHimNow user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 24 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 05, 23:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the album cover attracts peoples attention. :)

Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 05, 23:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Am I going to tell you that I think Hot Space is better than ANATO or The Game??

Nah, I won't do that.

However....I don't think Hot Space is that bad, in fact, I think its quite an ambitious effort.
Upon first listen, its missing the sounds I love in Queen...you know...that Don't Stop Me now, Save Me, Spread Your Wings, Somebody to Love, March Of The Black Queen....sound...that is just....QUEEN!

BUT...you know, this bad did something completly backwards then how they normally complete an album.

Queen usually took a sound that was already out, and perfected it.....I read that somewhere in fact: "Queen didn't invent music, they perfected it".

Hot Space wasn't like that....after realizing a huge hit with the funk/disco/rock/pop -like "Another One Bites The Dust"... Queen assumed that if they won a whole new audience with this one song (Queen gained a ton of black/ethnic fans with "Dust") .....the band assumed ... "A whole album of tracks like this is a sure hit".

Well, some fans weren't so hot on "Hot Space".

But you know who REALLY likes "Hot Space"??

People who really aren't that framiliar with Queen.

I mean..think about it... if you didn't start liking Queen because of BoRhap, Father To Son, Liar, We are the Champions....and Hot Space is a "new" album with band you are just vaguely framiliar with...then its really a neat poppy funk/r&b/disco album with some real gems.

The album was a risk.... instead of perfecting what was out, it was the one time the boys really went against the grain.

Not everyone loved it.... but in the 1980's, a then well respected, king of pop, Michael Jackson said "Queen's Hot Space is one of the best albums ever made, I listened to that album 10 times a day while writing and creating Thriller".

I really don't think "Hot Space" is that bad....it sounds soooo 1980's everyone says, but so does Frankie Go's to Hollywood,Simple Minds, The Fixx, etc...

Its like its ok that all of the one hit wonder from the 1980's sound like 1980's, but many Queen fans complain of the "80's" sound of a Queen album recorded around, oh, say...1981??

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool

Posted: 04 Mar 05, 00:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I actually love Hot Space. I think it's a fun album, and while Body Language is kind of high on the cheese factor, it's still a good listen. I'm just surprised because I'd expect The Game or News Of The World to be second to A Night At The Opera. It's interesting to see people picking up Hot Space when they're first getting into the band because when I started listening to them, everything I heard about Hot Space was negative!

Posted: 04 Mar 05, 00:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gunpowder-

All real Queen fans own the "Live at Milton Keyes" dvd now...

After hearing Staying Power and Action this day at MK, people are giving Hot Space another listen.

I have talked to about 7-10 hardcore Queen fans that dusted off the Hot Space after not listening to it for 5 to 10 years....all because of the live versions of Backchat, Staying and Action at MK.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
Bob The Shrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bob The Shrek
Deity: 4014 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 05, 00:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All real Queen fans own the "Live at Milton Keyes" dvd now...

Really? I must have mislaid my copy then.

Cleveland May 24 to June 4th 2007 - I came, I saw, I fucked off home again.
Roy Queen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 221 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 05, 05:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I listen to Action This Day every fucking day, I think it is so cool!

heyheyheyhey, it was the DNA...
Freddie-B user not visiting Queenzone.com
Freddie-B
Deity: 2859 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 05, 05:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It doesn't make any sense!! Hot Space is rubbish!! I don't know about anyone else but I've got very little time for it. Having said that, I don't have a right lot of time for any of the 80s albums, maybe the Works but that's about it.

Still though, any album with Calling All Girls, Back Chat, Put Out The Fire, and Action This Day can't be worth the paper it's printed on!

Vdo28 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 59 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 05, 07:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well I really think Hot Space is great.
It's Queen discovering funk.
I wouldn't mind if there was a Hot Space II.

I know that would be impossible.

I really like staying power live.

Always look at the bright side of life....
Leppar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 236 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 05, 08:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like Hot Space. It gives Queen an even wider variation of styles which stops the boredom of continually producing the same type of songs. Body Language was crap and so was Cool Cat, but i loved Action This Day and Calling All Girls. Bands should be applauded for taking risks and trying to make something new. But this wasn't the best Queen album, about 6th i'd say.

Don't call me gigolo, don't call me Casanova

Just call me on the phone and baby come on over!
Jimmy Dean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 488 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 05, 12:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scott_Mercury.... very insightful and thoughtful post... i think you nailed the essence of the album ;)

Haystacks Calhoun user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1550 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 05, 14:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie-B wrote:

It doesn't make any sense!! Hot Space is rubbish!! I don't know about anyone else but I've got very little time for it. Having said that, I don't have a right lot of time for any of the 80s albums, maybe the Works but that's about it.

Still though, any album with Calling All Girls, Back Chat, Put Out The Fire, and Action This Day can't be worth the paper it's printed on!

You are as useful as a poopy flavored lolly pop.

"Not a fan of the ladies, are you Trebek?"

Sean Connery
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 05, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

probably seeling more - as it's selling price is much lower

after all

if you only got a couple of grand to spend you ain't bying a maseratti, so you get what you can afford - a lada

go deo na h√Čireann
chico user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 05, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sorry I'm in the Hot Space is a so so
album camp .I remember when I bought it
back in 1982, I thought hmmmmmmmm I
don't know if I am going to like this.
I mean it's o.k. , i just could / can
never get into the dance tracks .

sorry Hot Space fans .

[ put out the fire and under pressure
are great though ]

chico
Zander05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zander05
Bohemian: 860 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 05, 20:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scott, I've been a Queen fan since 1992, and in the space of 13 years, I've become very familiar with Queen. And it just so happens, I love Hot Space.

Funk/disco/dance was very big in '82. As Queen had always done, they tried to incorporate the modern styles of music in their records. This album wasn't very successful at the time, but it doesn't mean it's a dreadful album.

Posted: 04 Mar 05, 20:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Which Scott are you talking to??

I like Hot Space.

Zander05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zander05
Bohemian: 860 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 05, 22:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You (Scott_Mercury)

ryancoke user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 202 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 05, 02:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scott_Mercury wrote:

But you know who REALLY likes "Hot Space"??

People who really aren't that framiliar with Queen.

Just have to clarify, I hope you don't mean that EVERYONE who loves Hot Space isn't very familiar with Queen, cuz then I'd have to disagree. Take me for example...

Give us the right key, f#@! sakes...