Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > When do you feel Freddie "knew"

forum rss feed
Author

Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Mar 05, 16:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, this has been talked about before, about Freddie's change in his mannerism's and personality around the last couple years of his life, but does anyone know for sure when Freddie knew without a doubt that he was ill?

Do many of you think he knew something during Live Aid in 85', Wembley '86? During "Great Pretender" in 87'?

He was so private.

Now, from what I gather with interviews with Brian..the band knew something was up when Freddie didn't want to tour, but when did he tell the band....Brian's most recent interviews sound as though he didn't confirm what it was with the band until months before his death.

Does anyone know the timeline on this for sure?

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
Rien user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2204 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 05, 16:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can't you just concentrate more on the music of Queen?

Feel free to visit my site - http://www.mercuryparadise.com

(Come into my life, it's a MercuryParadise)
Ander Vørschört user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 684 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 05, 17:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He got sick at around late in'86-early in '87, so definitely while doing the great pretender, and obviously, the rest of his career/life.

That time will come, one day you'll see, when we can all be friends.
flash00. user not visiting Queenzone.com
flash00.
Royalty: 1424 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 05, 22:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

he knew in 86,

oo la la
Zander05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zander05
Bohemian: 860 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 05, 22:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Last I checked, Richard said this board was for SERIOUS discussion. I don't see 'stupid gossip about the band's private lives' fitting under that catagory.

Posted: 04 Mar 05, 22:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zander,

The last I checked, you were replying to topics like "Weirdest Queen song".

Which of course is a "serious topic of discussion".

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
Hitman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2217 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 05, 22:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stop complaining please

Anything too stupid to be said... is sung.
Sicmot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 05, 22:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scott_Mercury wrote:

Ok, this has been talked about before, about Freddie's change in his mannerism's and personality around the last couple years of his life, but does anyone know for sure when Freddie knew without a doubt that he was ill?

Do many of you think he knew something during Live Aid in 85', Wembley '86? During "Great Pretender" in 87'?

He was so private.

Now, from what I gather with interviews with Brian..the band knew something was up when Freddie didn't want to tour, but when did he tell the band....Brian's most recent interviews sound as though he didn't confirm what it was with the band until months before his death.

Does anyone know the timeline on this for sure?

How dear you to copy my thought?? I made this very same issue just 2 days ago.. shame on you!!

God created man from dust, man replied with sin and lust..
MercuryArts user not visiting Queenzone.com
MercuryArts
Bohemian: 839 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 05, 01:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rien wrote:

Can't you just concentrate more on the music of Queen?

Right on Rien, the topics of late are getting more & more juvenile. This has been talked about a hundred times over! Lets move on.

"Take care of those you call your own"
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 05, 01:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm with Hitman. Why must we CONSTANTLY fight on this board?

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
supernova190188 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 232 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 05, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i'm with you too, if anyone say's anything they pretty much get torn down on here

We love you Freddie, R.I.P

Posted: 05 Mar 05, 09:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Exactly...if a person doesn't like a topic, then why not skip it and go on to the next thread.

I asked this original question, then got bombarded with "Why not just focus on the music".

My Answer: Obviously I love the music too.... but think of all the books on the market that tell the story of Freddie's personal life, not to mention the dvds out (several in which I own).

Who are buying these?
Obviously they wouldn't keep making them if no one cared.

Some of you think its SICK that some of us Queen fans want to know more about the person than just the music.....so let me ask again, who are these "behind the music" documentry's made for??

Non Queen fans??

On here, you are almost too scared to post anything....you either get:

"Dad says that we aren't allowed to discuss that."
OR
"That topic was covered Jan.28th 2005 at 3:16 p.m you stupid sonofabitch."

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 05, 09:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't believe I'm posting in this stupido thread...

listen, if someone asks a question, just answer it, or point them to an answer that someone else has already posted. No need to rag on them - complaining that the forum is degrading just degrades it more, eh?

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
GiantSpider user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 345 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 05, 10:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He did tell them. He told them then he said if it was mentioned again there would be hell on. Probably at the start of The Miracle sessions.

James

Posted: 05 Mar 05, 10:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does it seem the notice board is becoming a boxing ring? Geez!

Vdo28 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 59 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 05, 12:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's good to see that someone like taylorgaga can react like an adult, so sad that many others react like children.

I don't know when Freddie knew he was ill, but it fascinates me.
Because I think almost every person who heares he is terminal ill takes that like an impact.
It's is a huge impact on your life.

That's why it fascinates me, because if he knew during the magic tour that means he didn't let it change his performance.

That's admirible... (I think I wrote that wrong)

Always look at the bright side of life....

Posted: 05 Mar 05, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

taylorgaga wrote:

asking about the question, Freddie actually had some slight suspicions about his health just before Live Aid in 1985, thats why he was so determined to make an impact, and to steal the show, and during the 1986 Magic Tour, he told millions of fans " We are goin to stay together till we fucking well die", so he told the band and the millions of fans there and then, but they never knew it until he did "The great Pretender" and "Im goin slightly mad", when they could see his physical figure breaking down as it were, and he told the band about his illness after the last gig in Knebworth, and he said from one banned interview "I told them, and i want them to keep it hidden form the fans, and dont want to upset the fans, not until i fell is necessary" which that times was 24 hours before he died, when he released his press statement. Thats the whole story of his final moments.

You didn't really see the impact on his physical performance until mid 1991. He still is somewhat the same Freddie we all were accustomed to in the IGSM video. That was definitely admirable!

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 05, 12:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's easy for us to see the illness now, as far back as 87 really. You can just see subtle changes in him. But back then, I don't think anyone knew.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
We Are The Champions user not visiting Queenzone.com
We Are The Champions
Bohemian: 879 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 05, 12:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why don't you just remember Freddie for his music and his humanity instead of speculating about a killer and relentless disease!!
His music and his contribution to Rock'n'Roll is most important in many fans eyes.

He chose his lifestyle and he knew the risks so just leave it at that.

We all of us deeply apologise for this god forsaken shit heap of a building...but we will make it rock.

Brian May Wembley Pavilion 11.05.05.
Freddie F user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 53 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 05, 12:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

According to Jim Hutton, Freddie told the other bandmembers about his illness during a party at his house when he showed them a wound which couldn't heal - in 1987? He was sarcastic about that, but he clearly made them understand what was going on. Then, they had meetings, where he asked them to keep the secret. I also think he had suspicions about his state of health in 1985 (maybe not before Live Aid, but at the end of the year) and he knew the Magic Tour was going to be his last. Of course, he didn't want to give up his singing career, but live performances were from Knebworth on totally excluded - except his appearance on stage in "Time" in 1988, of course. I remember having being surprised in 1989, when I first saw the "I Want It All"-video ("why did he grow a beard?" "Hey, he looks a little fat!"). I had seen the "Great Pretender" and "Barcelona"-videos the years before and I didn't notice anything, but I was 15 at the time, I even thought he looked great without the moustache and in a suit... I would say that from the "Scandal"-video, everything was clear. The rest is history, of course.