Forums > Queen - General Discussion > excuse me!

forum rss feed
Author

ayano user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 34 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Mar 05, 20:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm listening to Brighton Rock right now. I'm wondering why this song is called Brighton Rock. Anybody please tell me where this title came from.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 05, 22:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You are excused.

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 05, 02:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

You are excused.

I knew somebody was going to say that before I even opened this post. Either I'm psychic, or everyone's predictable. ;)

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

nasty_queenie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 143 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 05, 04:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Apparently its based on a book of the same name.

"The concept of Queen is to be regal and majestic. Glamour is part of us, and we want to be dandy." - Freddie Mercury

Posted: 09 Mar 05, 09:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I see. I feel so stupid now. Excuse me for lack of knowlege on arts! I'd better read the book.

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 05, 09:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Reviewer: Melvin Pena (Evanston, IL United States) - See all my reviews

I have said it before, and shall say it again - Graham Greene was incapable of writing a bad novel! "Brighton Rock" is yet another miraculous triumph of setting, plot, characterization, thematic unity and everything that makes novels worth reading. In addition, Greene's use of Catholicism and common-sense ethics as coexistent ideologies behind the story, guiding the main characters, gives the novel considerable philosophical weight. One great thing about "Brighton Rock" is that the characters' internal struggles are not simply reducible to good v. evil or right v. wrong, but are asked to distinguish between these two systems.
"Brighton Rock" has two protagonists - Pinkie Brown is a teenage gangster, trying to prove his manhood and establish himself as a serious force in the Brighton underworld. Ida Arnold is a healthy, flirtatious, and determined woman who cannot be dissuaded from any purpose. When corrupt newspaperman Charles Hale is killed by Pinkie's gang, Ida's momentary acquaintance with Hale on a Bank Holiday leads her to pursue the truth surrounding his death. The conflict between Pinkie, who falls into a Calvinist-Catholic defeatism, and Ida, who believes in right and Hammurabian justice(an eye for an eye) shapes the rest of the novel.

Human sexuality and relationships are important facets of "Brighton Rock." Pinkie and Rose, two young Catholics raised in a run-down, predominantly 'Roman' housing project - constantly struggle with maturity, responsibility, and human physicality. While they view sex as 'mortal sin,' Ida, their pursuer, sees it as 'natural,' and celebratory of life. The complex relationship between Pinkie and the equally young and innocent Rose adds further purpose to Ida's mission.

Minor characters like the anemic Spicer, the loyal Dallow, the brusque Cubitt, and the literary lawyer Prewitt, along with Rose's 'moody' parents and his own eternally copulating parents, all complicate Pinkie's inner turmoil - and reveal that Pinkie's supposed manhood is a veil for his inherent weakness and inexperience.

Greene's wealth of literary knowledge also adds texture to the novel as a whole. References to Shakespeare, the 18th century actor and Poet Laureate Colley Cibber, Romantic-era poets like Keats and Wordsworth, Victorian literature (Dickens' "David Copperfield"), and modern magazines and motion pictures casts the novel against a history of British literature. Overall, "Brighton Rock" is typical Greene - expertly written and philosophically provocative.

source: Amazon

Killed by drones.
ANAGRAMER user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 675 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 05, 14:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Br rock - thought it was about candy

My Melancholy Blues user not visiting Queenzone.com
My Melancholy Blues
Royalty: 1039 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 05, 15:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wish to go to Brighton! Does "Brighton Rock" taste good?

Je vais bien.

Estoy bien.

Posted: 10 Mar 05, 21:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK, I learned Brighton Rock is aname of a book,
and also a name of a candy from Brighton. I thought the rock means rock music at first and I am sure most of Japanese fans think the same way. So now the question is what's the relation between the lyric and "Brighton Rock" ?

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 05, 21:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

-

My Melancholy Blues user not visiting Queenzone.com
My Melancholy Blues
Royalty: 1039 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 05, 02:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As far as I know, Brighton is one of the beautiful resorts in the UK with long beautiful beach where old amusement park exists at the pier. I've always thought Brian was inspired from both its fun mood and Greene's novel. But I'm not sure...and I think "rock" of the title has double meaning.
Anyway I'd like to go there someday and try Brighton candy!

Je vais bien.

Estoy bien.
KenJ_1986 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 75 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 05, 00:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just thought it was about a young woman and a married man having an affair... I could be wrong... That's just my interpretation of the lyrics.

-KenJ
danymarcone1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 01:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yay!

waunakonor user not visiting Queenzone.com
Let's fucking do it, darling!
waunakonor
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 08 Mar 12, 19:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

danymarcone1 wrote:
Yay!

Woo!

These are the days of our lives

They've flown in the swiftness of time.
ActionFletch user not visiting Queenzone.com
ActionFletch
Champion: 57 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 12, 02:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I had to read the play Brighton Rock at school. The only good thing is that Brian wrote a song about it!

catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 12, 09:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gunpowder Gelatine wrote:

Lester Burnham wrote:

You are excused.

I knew somebody was going to say that before I even opened this post. Either I'm psychic, or everyone's predictable. ;)

Ha, i wanted to be first to say it though :(

Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2714 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 12, 09:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You aren't excused.

"I really feel like being evil tonight."
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 09 Mar 12, 14:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brighton is a seaside town where in 1964 rockers and mods met to punch eachother around the face, in fine old English tradition. I could never figure out why Brian would name the song after a Graham Greene novel. In fact I suspect the title has very little meaning, but if it does, it's more likely something to do with the seaside town than the book.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)