Author

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Mar 05, 19:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

11 March 2005 - 00:50 (UK)

OK - you read it here first.

No questions taken - no answers given, just start saving, and leave your comments below.

The "boxsets" have been cancelled - because they are in NO one's interests.

At best, a boxset (of any artist) could only dedicate a few tracks from each album period onto a single CD - therefore a 4xCD (or 6xCD) anthology would not be the favoured method to reflect a back catalogue of 15 or so studio albums.

From the marketing point of view - only a few elite collectors could realistically afford the complete mammoth collection - which would inavariably retail at hundreds of pounds. This would obviously exclude thousands of the bands younger, poorer and "general interest" fans. Invariably, this would also lead to a huge increase in unofficial downloads - so what would be the profit margin on a "few" collection sales?

Marketing wise - a disc by disc "rolling" collection makes much more financial sense. Cheaper and easier to mass-produce and huge volume sales by comparison.

From the fans point of view - a dedicated remastered "Night At The Opera" set, would contain more "...Opera" demos/out-takes etc, than an anthology disc ever could. (Also a completist's dream). Each disc would be "pocket-money" affordable - so direct sales would be massive. Furthermore, each new disc would have a longer (if not indefinite) shelf-life.

Over an 18 - 24 month period, (as suggested by the Hollywood roll-on - roll-off model) the complete back catalogue will have been re-released. This also means that the consumer does not need to purchase their least favourite discs, and concentrate on the CD's they would actually like to add to their collection.

For those who CHOOSE to purchase all the discs - an affordable "box and catalogue" will be made available as an extra purchase.

So sense all round really.

The first release WILL be some time THIS year - "A Night At The Opera" 30th Anniversary special edition (heralded to a great fanfare) - possibly followed by "A Day At The Races".

Meeeeooowwwwwwww!!!

That's another cat escaped from the bag!

John S. Stuart

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 05, 19:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That sounds like an amazing idea! And it seems like they'll be more accessible than the box sets because people won't have to purchase material from albums they're not completely interested in. More profitable, too, because of all us completists that'll buy every single release.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4631 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 05, 20:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What I'm still surprised is how come the people behind the "Classic Albums" series havent made or approached Queen, with regard to ANATO. (For people who dont know, the Classic Albums series is similar in style to that of the Bo Rhap section on GVH 1 Disc 2, but obviously the whole album is covered rather than just one song).

I think that this would be a welcome addition to any form of box sets.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 05, 20:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good grief, it's going to be a fucking expensive few months. Oh well, I'm not complaining - it's just time to work overtime now!

Bring it on, QP, we're ready!

flash00. user not visiting Queenzone.com
flash00.
Royalty: 1424 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 05, 20:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

does this mean every album released will chart in the albums chart? if so.... maybe that also could be a major factor, we all know queen like to set records lol, but its a cool idea, i was expecting something like the freddie box-set which is absolutly amazing!!! i love all the glossy pics etc,,

oo la la
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 05, 20:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmmm... Sounds good to me. BUT the remasters would have to be all new (NOT the 2001 remasters) and BETTER than any we have had previously on CD. Then, I really wouldn't mind spending the money buying the entire catalogue... Again.

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
newcastle 86! 16483 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 05, 20:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

good call john s stuart, it is indeed a good idea to pick em off one by one, adding the unusual to the set

martinjkstones
Daburcor?

Posted: 10 Mar 05, 20:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

By the way John, If this is true about the boxset, How did you get this info? Now, I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious.

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 05, 21:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's just fantastic. Hopefully JSS (the other one) does not come up with the idea that stereo is so much better with only one channel :)

I do not want any google ads here.

wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 05, 00:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ooooooooooo

MY GOD spell it write.
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 05, 00:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ooooooooooo

MY GOD spell it write.
Daburcor?

Posted: 11 Mar 05, 00:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Excited William?

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 05, 04:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Absolutely a great idea.

Benn
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 05, 04:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GODDAMMIT!

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
DragonOnMyBack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 367 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 05, 05:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Has anybody seen the Manic Street Preachers anniversay reissue of their Holy Bible Album. They issued a 3 disc set. The original UK album/The US version of the album/ plus what I think was an excellent idea a DVD with related video clips. Ie. vids,TV performances,live clips of tracks on the album. An still kept the price down to just above a normal album. It would be excellent if a DVD was included for each Queen album. I.e.

Disc 1 : CD - Remastered version of original album
Disc 2 : CD - Demos/Outakes/unreleased tracks etc
Disc 3 : DVD - Interviews/TV appear./rare clips etc related to the album. Not the vids/concerts that we can get on the already released/future DVDs.

Just my thoughts. The Freddie Mercury box/book set was excellent and the DVDs added to that.
It would also be nice to be able to buy a nice box with booklet etc to keep them all together.

Its going to be an expensive time for Queen Fans over this/next year but really looking forward to it all.

Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 05, 05:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Am I really the only one who isn't happy about this at all? I've already bought the 16 Queen studio album. Why the hell do I have to buy them again in order to get the rarities?

The least they could do to add some sence to this is release the discs in DVD-audio quality + rarities in CD quality. Otherwise the whole idea with this is to get fans to buy the same albums they already have over and over again.

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
The King Of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2259 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 05, 05:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

VERY interesting news........I kinda like it, if only because that I am not the world's richest Queen fan, and the cost of buying of a huge box set might be difficult..........interestingly, I've done some things like this myself, with the various rare songs and versions that I have downloaded.....that is, put on one cd, the original album, plus alternate versions and whatnot.....so I was ahead of my time!!! or something like that......heh

I'll take you to the Seven Seas of Rhye
pma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3462 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 05, 06:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd prefer the whole backcatalogue re-issued one by one as SACD (dsd stereo, dsd mc, redbook cd layers) or DVD-A (mlp stereo, mlp mc, dts), they could include outtakes rarities on each album this way also, space would not be an issue IMO.

And I'd not have to buy them as cd's again ;-)
Give me Hi-RES!

"I think now I can make love to your anus without making God angry"

scallyuk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 297 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 05, 08:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John
your name will be mud - again - with the powers that be. I think they would prefer to tie all the cats in one bag and throw them from a bridge rathe than let you release them to the rest of us.

Thanks for the info though, It's likely to be a lot more intersting than a box set. Despite the huge range covered by the Beatle anthologies for example they were still tight on space and excluded a lot o stuff that is still "out there"

This might be our only chance for a true retrospecive on the Queen catalogue and as such I welcome it with an open chequebook (even if my bank manager doesn't)

Neil

"amateurs practice till they get it right, professionals practice till they can't get it wrong"
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3037 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 05, 08:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with Whisperer; I have all the origianl vinyl, CD's , 94 remasters, '98 remasters, and have started getting the new 2001 Japanese ones. If the albums are releawed on CD again, I don't really want to have to cough up to buy these, just for the rarities discs. Ideally, if it has to be in this format, the original album should be in DVDA 5.1, with the extras disc on CD. If not, then maybe they could also release all the extra discs in one 'box-set' so that we could have the choice of buying either the original+rarities double-CD pack when each one is released, or just the box-set with the rarities discs in. The only problem with this would be that the box set would have to be released after the last individual CD release, and I wouldn't want to wait 2 years to hear the rarities when I know they are already sitting on the shelves in the stores.

Oh well, as always I'm bound to buy wahtever comes out anyway!!

Chris